Losing inches on thighs and hips???

LosingLori
LosingLori Posts: 57
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been on MFP for four weeks now...and I am LOVING it! I love how it encourages me and keeps me accountable! I have never been able to successfully continue to count calories but this site makes it so easy!!! I have met my first mini-goal of losing 8 pounds...and met it two weeks early!!! I am also so excited about losing 5 inches but most of it was in my waist. Not that I am complaining because who doesn't want a smaller waist...but I really would to lose some major inches on my thighs (especially inner thighs) and my hips could stand to lose a few more.

Any ideas for specific exercises for the thighs and hips? I would love some ideas!!!!

Enjoy your Sunday and have a great week!!!

739764.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• nikicoleman
    nikicoleman Posts: 55 Member
    Hi! Good job on meeting your first goal!! :) Doesn't it feel great? I know that MFP has made this more 'manageable' for me to keep track of what I'm doing. I just hope to keep it up-even after meeting my 1/4 of the way goal! :)

You asked about exercises, I do the Jillian Michael's 30 Day shred. I hadn't ever done something like that before, I just did more cardio stuff -and this seems to work well for me. I just did my measurements again the other day and lost the most on my hips and waist. So, I don't know if you want to give it a try - it sure keeps me going and I like how it works a lot of different areas!

Best of luck to you as you continue and great job!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    I'm not big on fitness videos...you can only do the same one so long before your body adjusts to the program and you see nothing..i'd rather save my money and do things on my own that I can consistently change. Squats...your best friend..lol, if you have a gym membership or weights at home, put the barbell over your shoulder and start squatting, rest then start lunges, even better put one foot on the coffee table behind you and lunge, move into a plie squat feet wide apar toes pointed outwards, start squatting. Leg kickbacks, get down on all fours lift one leg straight back and start pulsing, repeat on the other side. side lunges...do a lunge but instead of going straight back with your leg into the lunge cross the leg in back of your stationary leg. Crab walk, get into a squat position, walk six steps forward, never coming out of the squat position, then 6 steps back, if you add weight onto your shoulders with this one, you'll feel a serious burn. plie squat with dumbell...get into the plie position hold a heavy dumbell in front of you and squat. Slide squats, put on foot on a paper plate and slide that foot out to the side while squatting touch your hand to the floor, bring foot back in and repeat 12x's then do the other side. Bench lateral jumps, get a low bench, start on your right side, put your right foot on the bench, propel yourself over the bench landing with your left foot on the bench, start this move in a squat position and end in a squat position, repeat. Squat with twist, stand with feet apart, squat down then bring one knee up and bring the opposite elbow accross to touch knee, repeat, 12x's then proceed to other side.....these are the only ones I can think of right now, but I got more, that you can do right in your living room with no weights, but like I said you increase the intensity of your workout if you add weights, which means more calories burned as well, your legs a re a huge muscle group and can handle heavy weight.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    If you have a chance see if you can try a spin class or two.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    While many fitness videos do the same routine over and over again...and get boring to watch and your body adjusts to them, I have found ChaLEAN Extreme to break that fitness video mold AND I've lost the majority of inches from my waist, hips and thighs on this program. I'm in week 8 of the 12 week program. It incorporates tons of squats, lunges, bowlers lunges etc and can be done with weights or resistance bands. Both are extremely effective. It mixes in cardio and plyometrics as well. I find if I just have a list of exercises to do, it is not effective. I don't know how many to do, how often and at what intensity. CLE takes all the guesswork out of it for me. Plus, I don't want Jillian Michaels shaming and demeaning me in my living room, so I stay away from her DVD's. Chalene Johnson is very motivating and positive. Hope that helps:smile:
    Risa
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    First off, congratulations on your success!

As for trimming your thighs, it's not really possible to make your body lose fat in one particular spot. Legs can be more difficult (which is also sometimes considered a better place to store, since midsection fat can be indicative of diabetes so at least be happy about that!) and it depends on where your body stores it's excess.

BUT! Keep doing cardio and such to keep up the fat burning. You can add exercises that can help tone the area you are interested in "improving." Weight training will help you add muscle and increase your continual calorie burn.

I've not tried it, but I've heard good things about Jillian's 30 shred from other MFP members. I love squats and lunges. They suck while doing them, but afterwards I feel great. I had tried a bit of that Flirty Girl, or something along those lines of strip tease type workouts. It really did well on my hips/butt/thigh area and I didn't feel like I had done much until I tried walking the next day.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    tagging this so I can find these exercises later! AWESOME suggestions, some I do already and some I never even thought of! Can't wait to try the paper plate one! Sounds fun!:laugh:
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    I'm not big on fitness videos...you can only do the same one so long before your body adjusts to the program and you see nothing..i'd rather save my money and do things on my own that I can consistently change. Squats...your best friend..lol, if you have a gym membership or weights at home, put the barbell over your shoulder and start squatting, rest then start lunges, even better put one foot on the coffee table behind you and lunge, move into a plie squat feet wide apar toes pointed outwards, start squatting. Leg kickbacks, get down on all fours lift one leg straight back and start pulsing, repeat on the other side. side lunges...do a lunge but instead of going straight back with your leg into the lunge cross the leg in back of your stationary leg. Crab walk, get into a squat position, walk six steps forward, never coming out of the squat position, then 6 steps back, if you add weight onto your shoulders with this one, you'll feel a serious burn. plie squat with dumbell...get into the plie position hold a heavy dumbell in front of you and squat. Slide squats, put on foot on a paper plate and slide that foot out to the side while squatting touch your hand to the floor, bring foot back in and repeat 12x's then do the other side. Bench lateral jumps, get a low bench, start on your right side, put your right foot on the bench, propel yourself over the bench landing with your left foot on the bench, start this move in a squat position and end in a squat position, repeat. Squat with twist, stand with feet apart, squat down then bring one knee up and bring the opposite elbow accross to touch knee, repeat, 12x's then proceed to other side.....these are the only ones I can think of right now, but I got more, that you can do right in your living room with no weights, but like I said you increase the intensity of your workout if you add weights, which means more calories burned as well, your legs a re a huge muscle group and can handle heavy weight.

These are all awesome moves! I'll probably nab a couple of them to add to my workout. Thanks for sharing these!
  • abursey1
    abursey1 Posts: 36
    I have done the 30 Day Shred, No More Trouble Zones and Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism all by Jillian Michaels and they are amazing for toning! I would suggest her No More Trouble Zones DVD!! The only cardio that is in it really is in the warm up, the rest is strength and toning. You can notice a HUGE difference in just a week or two!! You can watch some of the DVD on YouTube to give you a preview of what you'll be getting yourself into. I was skeptical about workout DVD's before I tried the 30 Day Shred, now I can't imagine working out with Jillian Michaels lol as sad as that is to say! I'm sure once I reach my goal weight, I'll probably have nightmares about her though!! lol
  • tagging this so I can find these exercises later! AWESOME suggestions, some I do already and some I never even thought of! Can't wait to try the paper plate one! Sounds fun!:laugh:

How do you tag a post?

Great job on the no smoking!!!!
  • Wow...thanks for all of the great suggestions!!!! Keep 'em coming! With all of these great ideas, my hips and thighs might just melt away!!!!!

739764.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    I have to agree...it's impossible to burn fat in specific areas. You can target train certain body parts for toning, but then you have muscle under the fat. The fat burning process takes longer...and unfortunately for women, the fat hangs on longer to our lower body (tummy, hips, thighs). I've been struggling with these areas for awhile. I love the exercises outlined here and it wouldn't hurt to add them into your routine, but the most important thing to remember is to watch what types of foods you're eating as well as how much and how often. Clean up the nutrition, do at least 3 days of strength training and 2-3 days of cardio, get enough sleep, drink plenty of water, and take your vitamins!

I am a FIRM believer in workout videos - they are not all created equal. I love all of the Beachbody workout programs and it makes it "easier" to get your workout done. You can wake up in the AM before everyone else is awake, put in your DVD, and sweat! You don't have to comb your hair, brush your teeth, or pay for gym membership or pay for the gas to get to the gym! I have heard lots of good things about Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred also but have never tried it.

Way to go on losing 8 pounds before your goal date, that's awesome!! Keep up the great work!
  • tutujoli
    tutujoli Posts: 104 Member
    The good news is that losing from your waist first is GREAT. Fat carried around your core is the most dangerous and losing waist inches seriously decreases your risk factors for a number of very scary things. :glasses:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Lori - by tagging it I meant that now that I have posted here it will be on my "My Topics" page and therefore easy for me to find later...
    :wink:
    Maybe people call it something else?
  • beckym71
    beckym71 Posts: 3,511
    Brazilian Butt Lift by Beachbody rocks!!! I lost an inch off my hips and 1/2 inch off each thigh in the 1st 10 days!
    Kickboxing will really hit the outer thigh and hip area.
    You've gotten lots of other great advice as well.
    Congrats on the inches already lost! :smile:
  • beckym71
    beckym71 Posts: 3,511
    Brazilian Butt Lift by Beachbody rocks!!! I lost an inch off my hips and 1/2 inch off each thigh in the 1st 10 days!
    Kickboxing will really hit the outer thigh and hip area.
    You've gotten lots of other great advice as well.
    Congrats on the inches already lost! :smile:
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    While many fitness videos do the same routine over and over again...and get boring to watch and your body adjusts to them, I have found ChaLEAN Extreme to break that fitness video mold AND I've lost the majority of inches from my waist, hips and thighs on this program. I'm in week 8 of the 12 week program. It incorporates tons of squats, lunges, bowlers lunges etc and can be done with weights or resistance bands. Both are extremely effective. It mixes in cardio and plyometrics as well. I find if I just have a list of exercises to do, it is not effective. I don't know how many to do, how often and at what intensity. CLE takes all the guesswork out of it for me. Plus, I don't want Jillian Michaels shaming and demeaning me in my living room, so I stay away from her DVD's. Chalene Johnson is very motivating and positive. Hope that helps:smile:
    Risa

I'm not saying like or not like either way, if you will do the video and see results and are happy with it then that's fantastic, I find them boring and not very motivating....I was only trying to give suggestions, and as far as as how many to do or to what intensity, c'mon, it's a no brainer, a quick google will do the trick, as far as intensity goes, I thought I touched on that one, legs can do very heavy weight work, if weights are not an option, then your best bet is repetition...lots of them until that burn sets in, what might be good weight for me and good rep may not be for the next person. To answer another poster, no you can't effectively "spot" reduce but exercises that target certain areas do in fact help, it makes those muscles stronger and leaner, and eventually your body will have to attack the fat stored there, you lose all over sometimes not entirely where you'd like to, but eventually it will happen, legs are tough!
This discussion has been closed.