Hurt Shoulder

Options
I've done something to my right shoulder. It isn't unbearable or worth going to a doc at this point, but I'm wondering how long I'll have to lay off weights and which moves are verboten. I have no problem focusing on legs and abs for a couple of days. I did arms this morning, and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have. I assume chest and shoulders are off the agenda. My cardio shouldn't be affected.

So, what moves should I avoid, and for how long?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    see a doctor if you arent sure what you've done and where the problem is

and yes depending on your cardio it can effect your shoulder.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Really? You think the cardio can hurt my shoulder more? I use an elliptical, but I can concentrate on legs and not move the arm part that much if I need to. I planned on ignoring my Jillian DVDs for a while, since she has all those planks and burpees.

My husband is a doc, but he is family med, and I don't think he could tell anything without an MRI.

I had a hysterectomy a couple of months ago. I don't want to have surgery again so soon. It really messes up my work schedule...and my exercise schedule, too
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Arghh! Stay away from the elliptical! I ended up with a repetitive stress injury in my left shoulder from the elliptical. [I was doing about 3 hours a week.] I'm not sure why that specific movement did it but, sure enough, it did. The shoulder got better, I tried the elliptical again, and BAM! the pain returned.

Something that helped with the healing was icing it down and taking 800 mg ibuprofen for several days. Good luck!
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I hurt my shoulder years ago, well turns out the bigger issue is with my neck. It was agravated at work and I got sent to a work physio. You will be suprised what you can and can't do. My big issue, even as I am getting stronger is grating cheese. That can cause a lot of pain. Or writing was when it was first bad at work. As I did 'light duties' I was actually able to lift heavier amounts then co-workers thought I should. I work in a factory, and getting back on the production line was the big issue. I am super careful when doing anything. But I have exercises I know help. I got these from a trained professional and they helped. I could not have gotten stronger without his advice. So I say go and see someone. It most likely a case of doing the right exercises to fix an imbalance. But you won't know without getting checked out first.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 recurrances of the same shoulder problem over the years. It was not caused by lifting, but exacerbated with lifting. The 1st cause was pitching batting practice for my kids, and the 2nd time a couple years later, doing protection/bite training with my dog. One of his exercises was to sit quietly and then when commanded, launch to the end of his leash at the target, each time he did that it would wrench my shoulder hard. Both times it was an impingement in the A/C joint. It restricted my range of motion to the point that gripping the bar for squats hurt. It was never debilitating pain- I could work thru it, and that is probably where I made a mistake. I saw an orthopedic surgeon, he gave me a shot of cortizone both times and then had physical therapy and it fixed me up.

I'd go see an ortopedic doctor and make sure you don't have structural damage and go from there.

This is why form is so important on lifts. Benching with your elbows flared out too wide is a major cause of shoulder problems, as is using machines that have a fixed path of travel.