First 5k! Advice?

Options
I just joined Life Time Fitness's 90-Day Challenge for the first time! It began today :)

The first Try-it Tuesday event is this coming Tuesday and it is a 5k. I've never done a 5k before but this is perfect because I wanted to do the C25K program at some point, so I'm really excited to get a taste of what a 5k really is!

So a few questions:

1. I have the option of a 6 am run or a 6 pm run. Which would you recommend? Why?
2. How would YOU eat before a 6 am run? Before a 6 pm run?
3. What if I just went ahead and did both? I mean - why not?! :D
4. Obviously I've not done C25K YET, and I really am an awful runner - I've never ever actually RAN in my life and I am new to it, so of course I plan on walking the 5k! But should I walk the whole way? Is there a reason to do that? Or should I just go for it and run what I can of it? I don't even know what pace is good...but I feel like it would be a good ice breaker opportunity to try running for once ;)

I think that's all my questions...of course any other advice is welcome :)
Thanks!

Replies

• janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I like morning sessions. I feel great the rest of the day.

I haven't done C25K, but I did my own version of it before it was around. I decided to start walking to get healthier. Then, I got bored going slow, so I would run between some of the driveways on my route. Then, I would run more than I was walking. Then, I was running the whole way and making my route longer.

I bet you feel the same way. Start walking, but when the mood hits to go faster, do it! If you walk the 5K, great! But if you feel like running for parts of it, even just the beginning and end, do it!

Best of luck!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Questions: 6 AM vs 6 PM? Pre-race meal? Doing both AM and PM?
    Answers: If you're walking the 5k it really doesn't make a bit of difference.

All your questions about pace, etc need to be worked out by you when you're TRAINING for the run. I'm afraid that if you go out and try to run it without training you'll have an unpleasant experience and will not do the C25K program
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I would do the 6am run, I workout better in the morning as find the end of the day I'm tired. If I was running for 6am I would not eat anything until after the run. I don't drink anything about an hour before either otherwise I end up with a stitch, but if you're planning to walk some of it then that may not happen to you. As the 5k is so soon why not start C25k that day. The podcast will probably end before the 5k is finished but you can do the last part according to how you feel i.e. continue with run/walk intervals or just walk, or even run if you're feeling up to it! Remember to pace yourself with running, slow is better when you're starting out. Get yourself fitted with some good running shoes at a professional run shop where they can analyse your gait and recommend the right shoes for you. Even if you feel like running the whole way I would caution it because doing too much too soon when you haven't trained can lead to injuries so be careful. Good luck, it sounds exciting! :)
  • 50kgRussianBallerina
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you for all the advice! I DID read it all as soon as I saw it, I just haven't replied yet :)

I really like all of your suggestions and good points.

Ultimately I decided on the 6 pm one - fits tomorrow's schedule better, and this way I could do my own workout right before it.
    Then I'll just walk it, and run as I feel like it...or, try running :P

I reeeeally like the idea of start c25k with this 5k, it just 'makes sense', but the reason I waited to start the program in the first place is because I know I can't commit to it right now as I am currently focused on different exercise goals. So I want to start it when I am ready.

But having this first 5k will at least give me an idea of what I am facing and what I will be running in the not-too-far-off future!

Thanks again guys :)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    So a few questions:

1. I have the option of a 6 am run or a 6 pm run. Which would you recommend? Why?
    4. Obviously I've not done C25K YET, and I really am an awful runner - I've never ever actually RAN in my life and I am new to it, so of course I plan on walking the 5k! But should I walk the whole way? Is there a reason to do that? Or should I just go for it and run what I can of it? I don't even know what pace is good...but I feel like it would be a good ice breaker opportunity to try running for once ;)

Thanks!
    [/quote]

1. 6pm. I'm not a morning person.
    2. Before a 6 pm run I wouldn't eat anything after 4pm.
    3. You're a better person than I.
    4. In the words of Yoda: "Do or do not." Don't walk it. The whole poing of a c25k program is to RUN. You don't have to run a full sprint for 5k, but at least try to run most of it. The best pace is the one you can achieve. I'm slow as hell (11 min mile at BEST), but I can sustain it for 5k and that's good enough for me!
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Pick which ever race is closer to your normal workout time.
    I like morning races, but 6AM start time is darn early!!!

If this is a summertime race in a hot area I would lean towards the 6AM start.

Nutrition isn't particularly critical for a 5K race, your body is fine on glycogen stores for that distance. You should work on what works for you as far as nutrition / hydration on your pre-race workouts. Then do exactly this on race day. Doing something different from normal on race day is a recepie for disaster.

Don't eat at least 1 hour before the race.

If this were me I would pick the 6AM start. I would have a big carb heavy meal the night before, I would probably just have a large sports drink maybe a banana pre race, and then eat a big breakfast at the finish!! I don't really need much fuel to run a 5K, and I feel lighter, and less prone to side stitches if I don't eat.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I just joined Life Time Fitness's 90-Day Challenge for the first time! It began today :)

The first Try-it Tuesday event is this coming Tuesday and it is a 5k. I've never done a 5k before but this is perfect because I wanted to do the C25K program at some point, so I'm really excited to get a taste of what a 5k really is!

So a few questions:

Thanks!

1) 6 pm (i'm not an early bird)
    2) i do not eat before a run - i eat 2 hours before and it's a light snack (toast with peanut butter, string cheese, granola bar)
    3) why not - if you're body can handle it then go for it but listen to your body
    4) walk it, run when you feel like running don't try to keep up with the pack. pace varies from person to person, training level to training level. races i typically run between 10:30/mile to 11:20/mile pace.

if you are warm before the race starts you will be ridiculously sweating up a storm during the race. you want to dress so you are a little cold standing waiting for the race to begin. you'll warm up especially if you plan to run even just a little bit of the 5k.

good luck.
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you for all the advice! I DID read it all as soon as I saw it, I just haven't replied yet :)

Ultimately I decided on the 6 pm one - fits tomorrow's schedule better, and this way I could do my own workout right before it.

I reeeeally like the idea of start c25k with this 5k, it just 'makes sense', but the reason I waited to start the program in the first place is because I know I can't commit to it right now as I am currently focused on different exercise goals. So I want to start it when I am ready.

But having this first 5k will at least give me an idea of what I am facing and what I will be running in the not-too-far-off future!

All the best for tomorrow, most important is to have fun and please come back here to let us know how it went, good luck! :)
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options

Ok now I am confused!!

You are kicking off C25K by racing in a 5K?! The point of c25k is to build up to your first race.

You want an evening race, so you can work out before the race? this is probably not wise. If you want to do your best in the race you will want to rest several days prior. A short 5-10 minute warmup 10-20 minutes before the race should be plenty
  • 50kgRussianBallerina
    Options
    Haha, I confused you? Sorry!

To clarify, no, I am not doing a 5k to prepare for C25K. The 5k is part of a fun event at my gym that I would take part in regardless of if I had made plans to start C25K at some point in the future. It just so happens that a few weeks ago I had to make a major change in my life, with one of the 'side effects' making it now possible for me to take up running as a hobby/activity, which I was unable to do before. So I thought I'd do C25K as something to introduce me to the running world. I am not yet able to start C25K, though.

And as I said above, I don't plan on running the 5k. I plan on walking, and if I get the urge to try running, why not?

I'm very physically fit. I don't know how to run, but my profession is one that requires the highest level of fitness (hint: look at my profile name ;) )
    I am strong also in cardiovascular fitness, but not specifically running, which IS hard for me.

Whether I run or walk, the point of this 5k is to have fun and to keep me motivated toward better health. It's a nice coincidence that I have been wanting to run a 5k sometime. I don't even know what that is, though, so I thought it was neat that now I WILL know what a 5k is.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options

So a few questions:

Thanks!

1. Doesn't matter, but NEVER run on an empty stomach, which many AM runners tend to do. I recommend whatever time of day is more convenient and you are more awake. For me, evening is better on weekends, but morning or at lunch is better during the week because I get exhausted from work and my commute.
    2. Technically, pre-run should be energy to fuel you, post-run should be replenish...so, I do protein before, 4:1 carb to protein after...this can be in the form of a shake, a pre-made recovery drink from a health store (but be warned, they are stupidly high in sugars)
    3. If you can run AM and PM, and you aren't feeling fatigued or tired, that is fine...just don't do it everyday...your body needs time to recover
    4. If you have never run before, I advise going to a local running store and seeing if someone can fit you with running shoes based on observing your stride and your feet...if you are lucky, they will give you proper running form advice for free...if not, I always recommend you learn proper form before you start running...or doing any exercise. YouTube videos are always good...you just need someone to then video tape you so you can then analyze you compared to the proper form and adjust accordingly. So, I advise walk the whole thing.

Most importantly, have lots of fun and enjoy yourself! Good luck!!

Note: I recommend going to Runner's World and looking up some beginner articles; lots of useful and easy to understand info.