Hypothyroid... Are you SURE I'm not a snowflake?

Options
13»

Replies

• misslibbyh
    misslibbyh Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks! The closest I have found is that a hypo individual is potentially working with a 20-40% decrease in metabolism. That's a large range but at least confirms that it's a decrease.

I do not believe that 'in range' people with no thyroid can function the same on a normal TDEE. Since medicine is now the means of production, we do not have the gland to adjust our levels. Therefore, we are working in a tighter scale. Just thought maybe someone in this world has done some sort of research to see where that scale lies now. :) so far this study doesn't exist!!

example: if meds only necessitates a 20% reduction in calories for TDEE.---2,000 cal for example for one to maintain this person would need 1600 only. Thus a calorie deficit can only happen at a reduction from 1600.

I know we are all different based on our activity levels, weight, heights, etc. I just want my formula. :)

Thank you for staying on topic. So i calculated my TDEE to be 2618 according to normal calculations. Minus 20% it would be 2095. The recommendation was to set a goal for minus 20 or 30%. Funny thing... They said my BMR was 1470... 2095 minus 30% is 1467... I currently have my caloric goal set to my supposed BMR which is 1470... so this should actually be close to my real TDEE minus 30% if the calculations you suggest are correct? I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Am I mathing right? lol

I would really appreciate it if people would stay on topic here. I am not asking for medical advice... I am asking for dietary advice based on my current situation. If my dr. thought my life is in danger I would still be on them but thank you for your concern.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,100 Member
    Options

I would really appreciate it if people would stay on topic here. I am not asking for medical advice... I am asking for dietary advice based on my current situation. If my dr. thought my life is in danger I would still be on them but thank you for your concern.

You are an untreated hypothyroid patient who went off meds AMA. This isn't a disease that is self treatable. No one can give you any idea what your calorie needs are. Pick a number and stick to it. If it doesn't work, pick another number. It's a wild guess in your situation.

YOU took this off-topic with the "find your voice, heal your thyroid" article. There are a lot of smart people here, they aren't going to leave things unchallenged that are so blatantly wrong. Any time you post in these or any forums, anyone is free to post what they like. Be glad there aren't any cat gifs......yet.
  • misslibbyh
    misslibbyh Posts: 90 Member
    Options

You are an untreated hypothyroid patient who went off meds AMA. This isn't a disease that is self treatable. No one can give you any idea what your calorie needs are. Pick a number and stick to it. If it doesn't work, pick another number. It's a wild guess in your situation.

YOU took this off-topic with the "find your voice, heal your thyroid" article. There are a lot of smart people here, they aren't going to leave things unchallenged that are so blatantly wrong. Any time you post in these or any forums, anyone is free to post what they like. Be glad there aren't any cat gifs......yet.

Count the attacks on me about me taking my meds before that post. I rest my case. I am not going to sit here and defend myself on the internet about it. A few people have been helpful about the TDEE thing... those are the only posts that I will reply to any further. I don't think it should be a wild guess... Someone out there knows more than you do about it I'm sure. And i LOVE cat gifs! lol

If my dr. thought my life is in danger... I would be on the meds. I'm done talking about that. =)

I'm currently taking in calories at my calculated BMR. We will see what happens. =)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    For those of you who are interested, the reason there is only anecdotal evidence/case studies of the metabolic effects of untreated hypothyroid is because, unfortunately, scientific studies on the effects of low thyroid would probably involve purposefully stopping people from taking necessary medication. Therefore such studies would potentially be unethical. Kind of like trying to do a scientific, peer reviewed study on the effects to a fetus of the mother smoking while pregnant. Creating a proper study like that would raise ethical questions, since you can't create the proper control groups and force people to harm themselves for the sake of a scientific study.

Doctors/clinicians can run tests to find YOUR true BMR and TDEE. Unfortunately for you, trial and error is the only way to find out, unless you want to pay for a metabolism test.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,100 Member
    Options
    Doctors/clinicians can run tests to find YOUR true BMR and TDEE. Unfortunately for you, trial and error is the only way to find out, unless you want to pay for a metabolism test.

Exactly. And really, this is true for anyone. If I went by the internet calculators, I'd be eating 1400 calories to lose weight. As it turns out, I need to eat around 1800. The calculators you find online are subjective - meaning they rely on the user to input data that is subjective. For instance, this site asks you to choose a weight-loss Goal. You can choose anything from 1/2 pound per week, to two pounds per week. We are responsible for choosing a safe, healthy rate of weight loss. A lot of people don't know what that should be, depending on their age, height, gender, weight, and goal weight. So they enter too-aggressive of a goal which can stall weight loss by undereating.

The other problem with online calculators is the Activity Level. They all ask it - but in different ways. Some want you to figure in your job, some want you to figure in exercise, this site wants both. This information is also subjective. Your "lightly active" might be my "moderately active." There are so many variables that the only way for any of us to figure out what we should be eating is by trial and error. Apparently the OP thinks we can magically discern her calorie intake. Add to that the fact that she has a metabolic/endocrine disorder that she has decided not to treat.

But, someone knows better than us.