The whole gallbladder thing

Options
I had the unfortunate experience of having my first gallbladder attack in Nov. 2012. A horrific experience to say the least (I've been told this is worse than childbirth!), and to make a long story short, 4 more attacks have followed and 30 pounds lost; here I sit with sometimes not knowing if I eat something will it bring another attack. I have been on the "Gallbladder forums", but couldn't find anything for my dilemma, and just wonderin' if any of you out there have experienced this problem. The weight loss has been bittersweet, as I am now 150 lbs, and always in the 200's thoughout my adult years. I would like to lose a bit more for the gallbladder surgery scheduled for April 12/2013, BUT don't want to lose too fast yet lose enough to keep surgery complications to a minimum.

Replies

• deniseorangeteam
    Options
    I have gone through losing weight too fast which I believe caused the gallstones, gallbladder attacks and finally surgery. And yes, the attacks are similar to the pain you experience going into labor. I don't wish them on anyone. Since you already have your surgery date scheduled you are just going to have to continue monitoring what you eat until then. Usually this will also be helpful in losing weight too as you want to stay away from anything fatty. I had to cut out all cheese, butter, deep fried food, avocados, chips, etc to avoid having attacks. It was a very strick low-fat diet that I put myself on. It was not a sustainable diet but whatever I could do to limit the attacks was necessary for me. And I did continue to lose weight as a result. Post-surgery I was able to introduce fats back into my diet in moderation. The only food that continues to give me grief is avocados. Good luck.
  • emmamcc12
    Options
    Yes, it's the fried food thing that was drummed into my head and possibly got me into this mess. I was put into hospital 2X (was going to have emergency surgery 2X but too risky with infection). Due to cutting out the fried food and eating "healthy", and although a change of eating habits is boring, it really has been a positive. Shoving fast food, like I did makes you realize that really isn't the way to go. Too bad it had to introduce itself via an attack. I have been going the veggie/fruit/chicken/fish route for the most part, but sometimes I still become frightened that attack # 6 is just around the corner. I will be happy when April for surgery comes around and possibly return to other foods, but really plan to eliminate the "fried food restaurant thing" as much as possible. Thanks for your reply.
  • emmamcc12
    Options
    A curious thing though to this whole gallbladder thing with me. I have been overweight my entire adult life, and from the 1990's unti 2012 always in the 200's. I have a close friend who is overweight (about 240 lbs), I lost weight before the gallb episodes and she knows I have been ill with gallbladder problems, 5 attacks, 2 hospitalizations (one week each time), yet as soon as I mention any kind of weight loss, all she says is "must be nice, wish I could be thin like you, then changes the subject. If that were me, and I new my gf went through misery with her illness and lost weight, I would put the envy thoughts aside and worry about how she is feeling. Am I out in left field with this?
  • fatherdowling
    fatherdowling Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had my first gallbladder attack in November 2012. Was in a ton of pain and throwing up. My doctor thought it was stomach flu, then it happened two weeks later and then again after that. Had crazy liver numbers and finally went for a liver ultrasound and had gallstones. Was told by my doctors here in Ireland (Im in grad school) that I'd probably need surgery. Went home to CA for Christmas was fine until New Years Day. Coming back from Disneyland I had the pain and nausea again and my doctor had told me to go to the ER if I had another attack. I went to the ER had a stone blocking the common bile duct. Was in the hospital for 5 days they did the surgery.

I'm 6 weeks out now. It surprised me how long it really takes to feel 100%. I had to fly back to Ireland 5 days after surgery (which i wouldnt recommend). Feeling mostly better, but my stomach has always been on the finicky side. Trying to avoid anything too fatty or spicy, even though my doctor said I could eat whatever now.

I've lost 36 pounds since Sept. Probably a combination of walking in cold Dublin, going on Metformin for PCOS and my gallbladder making me feel incredibly ill for months.

I'm definitely happy to have had the surgery when I did. At least I know know I wont be in excruciating pain and throwing up in the middle of the night.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Gallbladder attacks are the worst pain I have ever experienced!!!! My last couple attacks were so severe I wound up in the emergency room. I had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago....good riddance!!! Best decision I made!!! I ate A LOT of jello, chicken broth and white rice while waiting for my surgery. Eat low fat, no fried foods, nothing spicy, watch the dairy, no pop, take it easy on the coffee.........hmmmm yea like I said a lot of jello and white rice. Best wishes!!! :flowerforyou:
  • TigressPat
    Options
    I had the unfortunate experience of having my first gallbladder attack in Nov. 2012. A horrific experience to say the least (I've been told this is worse than childbirth!), and to make a long story short, 4 more attacks have followed and 30 pounds lost; here I sit with sometimes not knowing if I eat something will it bring another attack. I have been on the "Gallbladder forums", but couldn't find anything for my dilemma, and just wonderin' if any of you out there have experienced this problem. The weight loss has been bittersweet, as I am now 150 lbs, and always in the 200's thoughout my adult years. I would like to lose a bit more for the gallbladder surgery scheduled for April 12/2013, BUT don't want to lose too fast yet lose enough to keep surgery complications to a minimum.

gallbladders do not like weight instability.
    loss or gain can trigger them.

But welcome to a world of lets just yank it out instead of learning how to live with it.
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    Rapid weight loss of any sort can cause gallstones. I had mine out and I feel so much better.

"But welcome to a world of lets just yank it out instead of learning how to live with it. " My doctor made a sharp point of telling me that it would not get better. It would get progressively worse, and it could cause pancreatitis as well. And yes, I was eating very low fat at the time, so that wasn't a contributing factor. So while surgery certainly isn't the cure for everything, I see nothing positive in living with gallbladder attacks and trying to soldier on.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I had 2 major attacks in one night in 2010. I had surgery the next day to have my gallbladder removed. I started exercising later on that year and then joined WW and lost over 20 pounds. My whole digestive system is happier when I eat healthier and don't over eat. I don't really have any issues other than not being able to eat a lot of greasy food- but that's nothing new. Good luck with the surgery!

Oh and yes, the attacks were horrendous. Would not recommend them.
  • TigressPat
    Options
    Rapid weight loss of any sort can cause gallstones. I had mine out and I feel so much better.

"But welcome to a world of lets just yank it out instead of learning how to live with it. " My doctor made a sharp point of telling me that it would not get better. It would get progressively worse, and it could cause pancreatitis as well. And yes, I was eating very low fat at the time, so that wasn't a contributing factor. So while surgery certainly isn't the cure for everything, I see nothing positive in living with gallbladder attacks and trying to soldier on.

the OP said she had attacks when losing weight. and possibly from eating excessive amounts of greasy food. Unless I misunderstood?
    as the gallbladder does not like weight fluctuations it's entirely possibly that if the OP maintained her weight and did not overindulge in fried foods, hers would never bother her again.

However, doctors and patients are very quick to simply remove an internal organ these days despite many people having problems after the loss of it (google it). It's apparently a "useless" organ. I wonder why it's there?
  • SStrauss79
    SStrauss79 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed at 310 lbs. It was done laparoscopically and it was a same day surgery. I could not have continued to deal with those attacks. Yes, I would have delivered 10 babies vs. feeling that pain any longer. I have a friend who also had hers out and she was only 140 lbs. Don't wait...just get it done.
  • TigressPat
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed at 310 lbs. It was done laparoscopically and it was a same day surgery. I could not have continued to deal with those attacks. Yes, I would have delivered 10 babies vs. feeling that pain any longer. I have a friend who also had hers out and she was only 140 lbs. Don't wait...just get it done.

there's a quick fix for everything!!!
  • BrownEyeAngel
    BrownEyeAngel Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me! I lost 30 lbs. and then was in the hospital having my Gallbladder removed. I believe the weight loss brought this on. All better now and losing weight. The surgery was painful afterwards but you heal up.
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options

the OP said she had attacks when losing weight. and possibly from eating excessive amounts of greasy food. Unless I misunderstood?
    as the gallbladder does not like weight fluctuations it's entirely possibly that if the OP maintained her weight and did not overindulge in fried foods, hers would never bother her again.

However, doctors and patients are very quick to simply remove an internal organ these days despite many people having problems after the loss of it (google it). It's apparently a "useless" organ. I wonder why it's there?

Nope, you didn't misunderstand. I threw it in there that I was eating low fat because some folks have more trouble with their gallbladders when they eat fat, apparently the OP being one of them.

I suppose the OP may never have another issue, but I am skeptical of it. My understanding is that the issue is progressive for most people.

I did not say it's a useless organ, and I am well aware some people continue to have trouble. However, if one is having pain and inflammation and stones, it's not going to get better. It isn't as if I had attacks and a surgeon rushed at me with a scalpel. My doctor warned me the issue would only get worse. I didn't want to continue with the debilitating pain. So I saw a surgeon, who couldn't operate for a couple of weeks. During that time, despite a very low fat diet, I had pain that doubled me over, and I'm not a wimp. When I did have surgery, the surgeon told me that my gallbladder was very inflamed, full of stones, and that it would only have gotten worse. Some people end up with stones in the common bile duct---another painful issue.

I don't think surgery for a failing gallbladder is bad. If the OP wants to let it ride, by all means she should do so. But I think it's precipitous to say that in this instance doctors or strangers on the internet are urging her to make a hasty choice. I am not urging her to see a surgeon. I am stating I had mine out and haven't had any further issues. Mine wasn't going to get better.

ETA: you seem to have a strong anti surgical bias, and that's cool. Everyone has to make their own choices. No need to snark at people about a quick fix over having their gallbladders out. It's a medical issue, not a moral one.
  • TigressPat
    Options
    to rosy:
    I have had gallstones and a "bad gallbladder" for over 20 years now.

Every doctor and surgeon I see says the same thing as you.

guess what?

I can usually cope with it and have learned how to manage it in general.

But no one (including doctors) takes the time to learn, they just snip and rip.

Short of it becoming blocked and infected, it does not need to come out.
  • TigressPat
    Options

Nope, you didn't misunderstand. I threw it in there that I was eating low fat because some folks have more trouble with their gallbladders when they eat fat, apparently the OP being one of them.

I suppose the OP may never have another issue, but I am skeptical of it. My understanding is that the issue is progressive for most people.

I did not say it's a useless organ, and I am well aware some people continue to have trouble. However, if one is having pain and inflammation and stones, it's not going to get better. It isn't as if I had attacks and a surgeon rushed at me with a scalpel. My doctor warned me the issue would only get worse. I didn't want to continue with the debilitating pain. So I saw a surgeon, who couldn't operate for a couple of weeks. During that time, despite a very low fat diet, I had pain that doubled me over, and I'm not a wimp. When I did have surgery, the surgeon told me that my gallbladder was very inflamed, full of stones, and that it would only have gotten worse. Some people end up with stones in the common bile duct---another painful issue.

I don't think surgery for a failing gallbladder is bad. If the OP wants to let it ride, by all means she should do so. But I think it's precipitous to say that in this instance doctors or strangers on the internet are urging her to make a hasty choice. I am not urging her to see a surgeon. I am stating I had mine out and haven't had any further issues. Mine wasn't going to get better.

ETA: you seem to have a strong anti surgical bias, and that's cool. Everyone has to make their own choices. No need to snark at people about a quick fix over having their gallbladders out. It's a medical issue, not a moral one.

it's not a medical issue as much as it a question of ignorance and apathy.
  • TigressPat
    Options
    oh and my mother has lived with her stones for over 50 years.
  • TigressPat
    Options
    my "issue" isn't with the surgery so much as the "quick fix"
  • DrLabRat
    Options
    But welcome to a world of lets just yank it out instead of learning how to live with it.

You're expressing a rather ridiculous sentiment. If you want to learn to live with it, you do that, but there is nothing heroic about this approach. You are not better, smarter, stronger than those of us who chose to have our gall bladders removed.

Mine's gone. I'm happy that its gone. I don't have to deal with the pain and the sickness any more.
  • TigressPat
    Options

You're expressing a rather ridiculous sentiment. If you want to learn to live with it, you do that, but there is nothing heroic about this approach. You are not better, smarter, stronger than those of us who chose to have our gall bladders removed.

Mine's gone. I'm happy that its gone. I don't have to deal with the pain and the sickness any more.

it's ridiculous to object to losing an internal organ without even contemplating the alternatives?

wow.
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options

it's not a medical issue as much as it a question of ignorance and apathy.

If you feel that my having my gallbladder out is an issue of ignorance and apathy, then cheers to you. Live as you wish; I'll be doing the same.