Recipe builder and serving sizes, by weight

Options
I use the recipe builder a ton since I cook nearly everything I eat from scratch. I'm having a hard time figuring serving sizes for recipes that tend to vary a little bit each time I cook them - mainly vegetable recipes. I roast veggies a lot, or course the cooked weight of a vegetable is going to be much different than the raw weight. I'm definitely a planner in the meal department, I like to have it all figured up before I eat.

For example, I eat roasted yam wedges several times a week. The recipe I've entered for myself uses 400 g of RAW weight (one large yam) with four servings. Once it's cooked, I take 1/4 of the recipe and call it a day.

But maybe the next time I make it, I end up using a 300 g, or 500 g, raw yam. I'm either weighing my raw ingredients *every* time I make the recipe and adjusting the recipe/serving sizes, or counting out 100 grams worth of pieces pre-cooking (not possible with some recipes, think: boiled carrots).

It's all got me feeling very OCD about cooking. :laugh: Am I missing a simple (ish) way to figure a recipe for the COOKED weight on things like this that vary each time I make it? Am I just going to have to painstakingly consistent with following my recipes to the letter? Is it better to do a bit of trial and error here and use cooked weight for vegetable recipes (making it easier to simply add 100 g of potatoes to my plate once they're cooked)?

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    After I've entered a recipe and cooked it I often have to adjust the number of servings. Some things I eyeball and say that looks like x number of servings. I have the most trouble with crockpot soups and stews so I will measure the whole recipe once cooked then divide it by the number of cups. Sometimes I will eat more than a cup so I enter it as more than 1 serving. Hope that makes sense.