Getting Enough Protein

Options
2»

Replies

• Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I need to double check the values of the bread listed, its not right, I had to put 2.5 slices to get the calories to match up, I'm only actually eating 2 slices. I also don't usually eat bread for breakfast and lunch, it just needed eating up because our freezer has died.
  • Nativestar56
    Options
    The sweet peas idea is interesting, thanks! Might save that one for the weekend, my food processor is too much of a faff to wash up during the week!
  • Nativestar56
    Options
    Thanks, I'm going to make an effort to aim for 60g and go from there.

I've found a recipe for Quinoa that I'm trying tonight, if all goes well I'll try and eat that more often. I take a multi-vitamin very sporadically, but I eat a wide range of fruit and veg so I can't believe I'm majorly lacking anything. I also donate blood and they test your iron levels before they let you donate so as I haven't been turned away yet I figure I'm doing okay on that front too.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I can't eat beef, pork, eggs, or casein (dairy protein) due to a digestive disorder. I supposedly COULD eat lamb, but I don't eat babies, so that's out of the question for me.

A Lamb is no longer a 'baby' by the time you eat it - it is usually sexually mature by the time it reaches kill weight (40KG or thereabouts) and will have been weaned for some months.
  • Sunny820
    Sunny820 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been an ovo-lacto vege for over 13 years. I am able to average 80-110g protein/day through egg whites, whole eggs, Greek yogurt (Chobani, but I make mine a split of plain fat free and the strawberry in order to increase the protein/carb ratio), occasionally whey protein shakes (Optimum Nutrition Chocolate), cheese, beans. I consume minimal soy because I believe I have seen large amounts effect my mood and energy negatively.

I try to average about 20g protein per meal, 4-5 meals a day. To do that, it means that sometimes I am consuming 4-6 egg whites in a sitting. I share that just to give perspective on how to get your protein numbers up over 60 consistently.

Good luck!