Dry:
2 cups flour
1 tbsp wheat germ
1 tbsp ground flax seed
3 tsps. baking powder
2 tbsps. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt

Preheat over to 400

Mix wet and dry until it just comes together. Do not over-mix.

Bake for 20 mins

Good texture and not overly sweet.

Makes 12 muffins. 131 cals per muffin. In database as 'Homemade - Springgrl - Berry Muffins'

Replies

• JBRENTLINGER
    Options
    Printed this out and will make it soon! Thanks!!
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    these sound delish!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Wet:
    1 cup soy milk
    2 tbsps. shortening, melted
    2 tbsp water
    1 egg
    1 1/2 cup frozen berries, semi thawed and drained

Dry:
    2 cups flour
    1 tbsp wheat germ
    1 tbsp ground flax seed
    3 tsps. baking powder
    2 tbsps. sugar
    3/4 tsp. salt

Preheat over to 400

Mix wet and dry until it just comes together. Do not over-mix.

Bake for 20 mins

Good texture and not overly sweet.

Makes 12 muffins. 131 cals per muffin. In database as 'Homemade - Springgrl - Berry Muffins'

I'm going to try these but i'm going to make them healthier, i'll post how they turn out, shortnening, (maybe applesauce or bananas)...and sugar substitute (maybe honey or stevia) in order for sure cause that stuff is pure poison..as well as whole grain flour....it's gonna be a challenge, but I like the idea of the flax, wheat germ and soy milk, they do sound yummy.
  • springgrl
    springgrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options

I'm going to try these but i'm going to make them healthier, i'll post how they turn out, shortnening, (maybe applesauce or bananas)...and sugar substitute (maybe honey or stevia) in order for sure cause that stuff is pure poison..as well as whole grain flour....it's gonna be a challenge, but I like the idea of the flax, wheat germ and soy milk, they do sound yummy.

Cool. If you are going to go w/whole wheat you might have to add more moisture (agave or honey maybe, or just more water?) to get the same consistency. Good luck.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options

Cool. If you are going to go w/whole wheat you might have to add more moisture (agave or honey maybe, or just more water?) to get the same consistency. Good luck.

We ended up replacing the flour with stone ground whole grain, added 1 tablespoon of applesauce and 1 ripened banana, swapped out the sugar for honey, but we (my daughter and I,) put in wayyyyyy too much..lol, a little will go a long way, they were super moist, I think because of the banana..next batch easing up on the honey...but you had a great idea about agave..gonna try that tonight instead.