Hi Everyone, new and need some suggestions.......

Options
Hi everyone, Im Elizabeth, 34 yr old from Ohio. I have been using MFP on and off for about a year now but recently have started using it more frequently and made it a part of my daily routine. My first goal was from 337 to 299 which I did reach, yay! I had Gastric Bypass in 2005 but lost to 243 and gained almost 100 lbs back. Im the first one to say that the surgery is a blessing but its like everything in life, you only get from it what you put into it. Needless to say this time around eating healthy and exercising is the way to do it. I'm doing good with my eating, given up fast food, snacks and sweets. I am having an issue with Cardio. I do my weight lifting fine, sometimes twice a day, I do the toning cord, I even do crunches. I just cant seem to get myself motivated to do the cardio I know I need to keep losing weight. I have an elliptical at home but for the life of me I cant motivate myself to do it. Ahhhhhh its frustrating :grumble: , does anyone have any ideas on a form of cardio that is quicker, easier to do and maybe something I can do around the house. Any and all suggestions are appreciated and I look forward to losing with everyone!!!!!!!!! :smile:

Replies

• samsonov77
    samsonov77 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Elizabeth, first off...GOOD LUCK!!! you've got this!!

Second, I'm a group exercise instructor and 100% believe in Group Exercise Classes to keep you motivated. I just taught a Zumba class this morning and had a group of 30 women shakin and moving and sweating, all with smiles on their faces...it's the best! If you like to do stuff at home, I'd suggest some great workout DVDs like Tae Bo (awesome calorie burner) or any dance DVD. They're so much fun, and you don't have to try to motivate yourself...just pop in the video and you're off! or hey, just turn up your stereo and shake it!!! Cardio doesn't have to be boring!!!

GOOD LUCK ELIZABETH, i wish you nothing but success!!!
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Hello Elizabeth! Congratulations on your recent weight loss!

I hate HATE HATE HATE to exercise so I completely understand your dilemma. I would suggest you look into a "walk off the weight" program where you walk in place in your living room to get aerobic exercise. I believe there are DVDs that make this seem more fun and entertaining!

I have an elliptical machine and I made myself a deal that I would delay using it until I got to a certain weight - then I would put in 30 minutes a day and shower. That might sound weird but half my hatred of the dang thing was the thought of getting all sweaty and having to shower. I took away that block by making myself get on the machine and know I was going to go shower after it.

This meant moving my normal shower time from the evening to morning and going to work with wet hair... but I did it. Basically my rule was that I had to be standing on the elliptical machine 35 minutes before my shower time and I could n't leave the machine until it was time to shower. BUT I could go at what ever pace I wanted even just stand still. I've been doing fine every since. At first I'd only go a little bit get out of breath and slow down to a stand still then go a little again - now I can stay on it for 50 minutes at a moderate pace, and 90 or more at a slow pace.

I started losing a lot more weight when I gave in and started really doing the aerobic exercise.

GOOD LUCK!:flowerforyou:
  • durbanski
    durbanski Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Inspiration's different for everyone. For me its a total matter of routine. I count my calories with obsessive exuberance. I'm mathematically minded so I like breaking it down by percentages whether that's pounds lost, calories cut out. Find that thing which really captivates your mind and zeroes in your attention. I hope that helps.

Take care and good luck,

Dustin
  • artsyuno
    artsyuno Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Been there many times, although even more so with strength-building than aerobic. I'd suggest easing into it. Don't make yourselves do a 45-minute workout the first time and don't worry about getting your heart rate up to aerobic level. Set an easily attainable goal - maybe 15-20 minutes at a stroll-like speed just to get yourself on the machine. Once you get back into the habit and realize how good you feel when you're done, it'll be a lot easier to stick with it and you can gradually start adding more time and speed. For me, the first 20 minutes is actually the hardest. About the time I feel like giving up, my muscles loosen up and I start thinking I can do a few more minutes and then a few more minutes... Start on the weekend in the morning. Eat a small breakfast, get a little exercise and then eat the rest of your breakfast and shower. Like mstahl, I've found that the thought of getting all sweaty and needing a shower makes exercise seem like a hassle. The first couple of times, at least, exercise before your morning shower (or in the evening if you shower at night). That way, you're going to shower anyhow, so it's not adding any extra work.
  • artsyuno
    artsyuno Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Oh, another suggestion or two -- buy yourself a new pair of running shoes that you only get to wear when you're exercising. You get the fun of trying out your new stuff that way by using your elliptical trainer. Do you have a tv in the same room? My elliptical trainer is in my basement and I have a tv and dv in front of it. I pick a show or two to only record on that dvr (as opposed to the one in my living room). While it doesn't get me motivated to exercise, in and of itself, it makes the workout more enjoyable. I pick an hour show, because it lasts 40-45 minutes if I forward through the commercials. Perfect for a workout.
  • Mslizzbeth76
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone for your ideas. I do have a tv in the room that my elliptical is in and Im making it kind of my exercise room. I keep my clothes in there and weights and i have lots of the dvd's like zumba,sweatin to the oldies and even the flirty girl dance video. I think what Ill do is take mon, wed and fri and each day do one of the videos and then tues and thues do 15 minutes on the elliptical and my weight lifting. Im gonna make a calender up so I know what day Ill do what video,not only will that be routine but it will be fun and they are all different so my body will hopefully not get used to the same thing. Thanks so much for all the replies and inspiration, I can already tell just being here is gonna make this easier. :happy: