Working out 6x a week, 1200 cals a day-taking forever

Options
So I am eating about 1200 calories a day....give or take. I try to burn 400-600 calories a day through cardio and weight lifting 6x a week. I've lost 9lbs so far but it's taking a really long time. When I did Jenny Craig last year I was losing 2-4lbs a week, and wasn't even working out. I usually drop weight quickly, however this time I'm losing tons of inches but not so many pounds. Ihould I increase my calorie intake? Anyone else increase than see better results?

Replies

• squirtgunsablzn
    Options
    remember that at the end of the day its all about your body composition, i would rather loose fat slowly than loose weight fast and sacrifice some of my muscle.
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    remember that at the end of the day its all about your body composition
    Ditch the scale. Work on maintaining your lean body mass and decreasing your body fat. Eat at a slight deficit, like TDEE - 10 to 20% and try resistance/strength training a few times a week plus some cardio.

I did the same thing as you are doing now a couple of years ago. I didn't learn the correct way until around last May. I increased my food, focused on strength training and saw massive changes in my body. I realized that my goal weight didn't have to be as low as I had planned on because I changed my body comp. The jeans that I wanted to fit back into have some extra room in them this morning, and I weigh about 5-7lbs more than when I bought them five years ago.
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    eat more food
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You are losing tons of inches, that's great! As long as you eat between your BMR and TDEE, you will lose. But if you want to see if you will lose when eating more, I suggest going up 100 calories/day. It will take time, just be patience. You are doing good so far. Scale is evil anyways.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a heck of a lot more fuel - and you can lose weight if you eat more than 1200 with that amount of exercise. With your calories so low you are risking messing your metabolism up and losing lean tissue as well as fat.

This is a good starting point: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

But great work on the exercise - sounds like you are doing all the right things with it :)
  • jhvf1958
    Options
    In my case slow loosing weight has to do with age. I"m 54 and each year is more difficult to maintain a decent weight.
    Workouts on that pace will help, nonteheless you have to leave your body rest. Would suggest to increase time on a 3 or 4 sessions a week.

Good luck
  • jngoff9
    jngoff9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had a very hard time losing weight working out 6x a week and strictly eating 1200 calories. I bumped it up to 1600-1800 and now the weight is coming off.
  • moekels7
    moekels7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You have to eat your exercise calories back. MFP already calculates deficit if you work out that much you are eating below your 1200 calories Eat your exercise calories back
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I only increased it slightly (from netting 1200 to netting 1320) and am getting way better results. My BMR is low so even 1200 is over my BMR, but due to my activity level and workouts 1200 was just too low, and I wasn't seeing the scale move.

I'm also pretty small (just shy of 5'0 and 115lbs). Depending on your height weight and age, you might need to increase it a little more. I like the TDEE-20% method. I'm more like TDEE-18% or something. When I get closer to my goal I'm going to to TDEE-10%, because those last 5lbs have to come off really slowly or they will come right back (I know from experience).
  • 8JELLYBABIES
    Options
    I'm half way through INSANITY and have lost a total of 18 pounds, I've come to a standstill of weight loss and need help and encouragement to keep going. I pulled my back today and need to stay eating healthily till I can continue exercising otherwise I'll undo everything I've done so far
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    YES. Also, do your TDEE. Follow this link to another forum on here. This has helped me SO SO much. I'm eating more, losing more. IT WORKS....so far. I'm only a week in. lol. But I've lost 2.6lbs this past week. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

YOU HAVE TO EAT. EAT EAT EAT. Just don't do the refined sugars, carbs and stuff like that. Go for lean meat, skip the sodas. I lost 5lbs the first week just by cutting out everything liquid EXCEPT WATER. That's all I drink now. The more water you drink, the less water you'll retain. (Yes, I have the problem with water, I'm not gonna lie.) BUT TRY! And if you have a problem filling calories, do a protein shake. That's what I do. Eat something solid with it though unless it's a meal substitute, if you don't, the toilet seat will be your butts best friend. Don't worry about the sugar in fruit. I wouldn't eat a WHOLE LOT of it, but still have at least 1-2 servings of it a day. I drink Silk Fruit&Protein in the morning with breakfast. Usually a soup with veggies or a sandwhich with my protein shake for lunch(because I don't wake up early enough to exercise and eat breakfast before lunch in a sensible time frame)

Sorry so long, I just wanted to share!!!
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a heck of a lot more fuel - and you can lose weight if you eat more than 1200 with that amount of exercise. With your calories so low you are risking messing your metabolism up and losing lean tissue as well as fat.

This is a good starting point: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

But great work on the exercise - sounds like you are doing all the right things with it :)

LOL, I just said this same thing. Great starting point, and it's worked well for me so far. :)
  • jsan5933
    Options
    this one is easy. you aren't eating enough.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    So I am eating about 1200 calories a day....give or take. I try to burn 400-600 calories a day through cardio and weight lifting 6x a week. I've lost 9lbs so far but it's taking a really long time. When I did Jenny Craig last year I was losing 2-4lbs a week, and wasn't even working out. I usually drop weight quickly, however this time I'm losing tons of inches but not so many pounds. Ihould I increase my calorie intake? Anyone else increase than see better results?

So why are you unhappy?
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options

YES YES YES - you are not eating enough. Up your calories with "clean" food and you will be amazed with results. Personally, I stuck at 40 pounds forever, till I posted the same question. i would suggest to learn:
    * TDEE
    * BMI
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Ditch the scale. Work on maintaining your lean body mass and decreasing your body fat. Eat at a slight deficit, like TDEE - 10 to 20% and try resistance/strength training a few times a week plus some cardio.

I did the same thing as you are doing now a couple of years ago. I didn't learn the correct way until around last May. I increased my food, focused on strength training and saw massive changes in my body. I realized that my goal weight didn't have to be as low as I had planned on because I changed my body comp. The jeans that I wanted to fit back into have some extra room in them this morning, and I weigh about 5-7lbs more than when I bought them five years ago.

This one knows what she's talking about!
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Kudos for getting into a healthier routine and mindset!

But I personally know what you're going through, and struggled with loosing the last 10 for quite sometime thinking I was a special snowflake eating at or just a tad bit below 1200. And let me tell you it certainly takes a toll on you, I've been maintaining as a result for a while just because I would undo all my effort on the weekends because of the hunger during the week.

So as of a few months ago I switched to a 1400 calorie range and reduced my exercise to a manageable rate i.e 4x a week (cardio) and I'm finally stress free about eating, especially when I combine it with intermittent fasting. I'm much more satiated; and at the end of the day as long as I lose the weight I really don't care if it'll take 6 months or so. I'd rather it be sustainable than a tedious effort.

It's amazing what a few 100 calories can do for your psyche, you should definitely check the TDEE -20% method mentioned above.

Good luck!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

LOL, I just said this same thing. Great starting point, and it's worked well for me so far. :)

Great minds think alike! And this link can never be shared too much - just wish someone had pointed it to me sooner.
  • xsamixoxo
    Options
    I'm having the same problem!! I eat around 1200 calories and burn 500 or more a day!!! I'm looking thinner but my weight is hardly changing!
  • lag4908
    Options

Thanks for the tips! I did hear that I should be doing a lot more strength training than cardio because it'll burn more fat. It just seems like so much food to eat (when eating my burned off calories back).