Does anyone use FitBit or Body Media

Options
I am curious if these are accurate and helpful. I would like to know how many calories I really burn exercising and if numbers are close to what MFP says.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit - it tracks all day and how many steps you take. I love it.

If you want to track exercise that isn't step related - like weights or something that uses the arms a lot you'd be better off w/an HRM.

I have both - because they each have their own use.
  • karengion
    karengion Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Where do you purchase these from ? Could you tell me what HRM is I am unfamiliar to that term and just on my journey to loose weight 4 weeks now.
  • ReinaLorenz
    ReinaLorenz Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    HRM is a heart rate monitor
  • ILOVEFWANKWIN
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia, and my exercise was WAY off from what MFP predicts. Which is HUGE because a lot of people eat back exercise calories. Its also eye opening to see what you, "think" you're doing during the day vs what you're actually doing. I have found it really helpful in keeping me motivated and have lost 10lbs in 3 weeks since using it. I am sedentary most days, and it keeps me on target with a 1000 calorie deficit, and lets me know if I am on track with what I should be/want to lose.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a FitBit on Ebay so I'm waiting for it to arrive. I marked "sedentary" on my MFP profile, but I really want to know what I burn in an average day because I think I'm below sedentary. At least people with desk jobs have to commute, etc...I work a desk job at home so my commute is walking about 30 feet. This time of year I don't even have yard work to do so I'm a total slug.

Hopefully when I have the data I can make a more informed decision regarding my best caloric intake, and maybe if/when I find out that I only burn about as much energy as someone in coma it'll shock me into exercising. lol
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    i absolutely love my FitBit Ultra. I got it for my birthday in August and have worn it every day but twice. The two days without it I felt completely out of sync. I'm completely used to automatically getting my normal exercise tracked for me, I'm pretty spoiled. I don't use it for weight lift training or exercise videos but for walks/runs and daily use it is amazing. I thought I was walking a lot less than I really am and it has helped motivate me to take longer walks, pace around while I'm in line, etc. I wish my FitBit had the added feature of bluetooth syncing that the new FitBit One has but other than that I'm 100% in love with it.
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    Options
    I just got my Fitbit 5 days ago or so and it totally motivates me to move. The great thing about it is that it automatically syncs with MFP so you don't have to think about it. Set your profile to sedentary and keep fitbit clipped to the inside of your pocket all day long. It will soon show you are not sedentary at all. But on the days you want a break, keeping your profile at sedentary keeps your calories accurate for those days too.
  • KittyKarma31
    KittyKarma31 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone says about Fitbit Ultra. I love mine and I even have the Aria for tracking my weight. The way it works with MFP is flawless. I have recommended it to several people and they ended up really liking there's.
  • karengion
    Options
    Are they very expensive?
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm a new fitbit owner too, it's awesome. Feel free to send me an invite (10kaday already a long time Mfp pal - and I concur with his post)
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have the Body Media Fit and love it. I was surprised to learn how many calories I burn on a daily basis even without exercise. It has been very helpful to me in my weightloss.
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Are they very expensive?

They are pricey but not prohibitively so. They range from around $60 to $120 but I guess it also depends on the country. I'm in Australia and paid $130Aus for my Fitbit One which is a better model. Totally worth it but beware - budget for a few of them as they are easy to lose!
  • Fitness4Paul
    Fitness4Paul Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm a fitbit user and love it. I use it for tracking daily activity and let the fitbit calorie adjustment tell me where I stand for my required calorie intake. I also use the Fitbit Aria scale. All work really well with MFP.. I wear a HR monitor for cardio exercise. They should have a slogan "Fitbit-Don't leave home without it" ....... Wait someone already used that....
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I've been using my Fitbit for about 18 months and love it. I also use Nike + when I run as that allows actual GPS tracking of distance and routes as well as linking to my Polar HRM.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Are they very expensive?

I paid $90 with shipping on eBay for a new FitBit Ultra. There are also some people selling used ones or "open package" ones for less.
  • dguz21
    dguz21 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have the Body Media and like it a lot.
  • karengion
    Options
    Thank you for the information. I just went from a completely sedentary job/life to one of walking all day and I am a full time student. So outside of work I don't get time to exercise. I started walking the stairs instead of riding the elevator and I don't have a clue how to track this. I bought a pocket pedometer and it broke within the week. That was $30 down the drain. I will look into purchasing one of the Fitbits. Is there one that is better than another?
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia Fit and it is super groovy. I don't remember specifically why I chose it over the FitBit--I think the FitBit may be cheaper and doesn't require a monthly membership fee--but I have not regretted it for even a moment.

Here is a comparison thingie from the BodyMedia site: http://www.bodymedia.com/Products/Learn-More/Compare
  • karengion
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia Fit and it is super groovy. I don't remember specifically why I chose it over the FitBit--I think the FitBit may be cheaper and doesn't require a monthly membership fee--but I have not regretted it for even a moment.

Here is a comparison thingie from the BodyMedia site: http://www.bodymedia.com/Products/Learn-More/Compare

So what is the benefit of a monthly membership?
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Well... It's not exactly a benefit, but you can't use it without the membership. ;) I got 6 months free when I purchased it though, which I think is the norm. The interface is really nice, but I can't compare it to the (free) FitBit, not having had one.