I don't know how to cook!

Options
2»

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    You don't have to make fancy elaborate meals to eat healthy. Even if you're not iron chef you can still microwave some oatmeal or put together a wrap. Most of the things I eat are super simple to make.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    bump
  • arnfolly
    arnfolly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Cooking is science. Really, it is as simple as that. Try watching or taping cooking shows. The food network or cooking channel actually have tv shows for weight loss. They also have web sites with fabulous recipies and even videos. www.cookingchanneltv.com or www.foodnetwork.com.
    My hubbie & I are garlic people. it is good for you, it perks up foods and is not salt! :) Last night, with dinner,I chopped garlic, put it in a little water with a little salt, and blanched (quickly emersed) veggies in it. they came out perfect, with a hint of garlic on them!
  • barebon
    barebon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Get a George Foreman grill. Works great on boneless/skinless chicken breasts, steak, lean boneless pork chops, turkey burgers, tilapia, salmon etc etc etc. There is a variety of Mrs. Dash seasoning (no salt so it's better than just salt and pepper) for just about any kind of meat. Frozen veggies can be heated in the microwave.

George Formans are AMAZINGLY helpful! I use it all the time!
  • michellew91
    michellew91 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    1: Gather healthy ingredients.
    2: Throw it a pot of boiling water.
    3: Stir slowly, add salt and condiments as needed.
    4: Continue stirring until everything is uniform grey - that's how you know it's done.
    5 Serve immediately and enjoy.

Ugh, I have an aunt who cooks like this, lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you can read and follow directions, you can cook.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I just posted two of my favorite easy crockpot recipes on my blog. Chipotle Chicken Chili and Buffalo Chicken Chili.

A little chopping is all it takes, and then you just drop stuff into the crockpot and turn it on. 8 hours later, a big pot of healthy food!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/RadioactivePirate/view/my-favorite-slow-cooker-chicken-chili-recipes-491623
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Using the stir-fry, slow cooker/crockpot techniques are usually the easiest when starting out!

I usually go on Pinterest to get some new recipes (and go for the ones with step by step instructions). I LOVE cooking so I have a plethora of recipes if you need some. Most of the recipes you find on Pinterest are pretty simple, which may help!

Good luck and add me if you ever need any ideas or tips! :drinker:
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    "If you can read, you can cook," as my mom used to say. There are tons of super cookbooks for the novice cook - pick one up that speaks to you, and start to play.

Nowadays, however, if you have an internet connection, you can cook. Find something you are interested in making, and then YouTube. Google, or whatever search engine for recipes, video demos, and guides.

Cooking is about paying attention to processes and flavours. You will make mistakes, and some of them will be delicious.

Best of luck!

This! Cooking is science, but it ain't rocket science. Some mistakes are delicious and some are ... not. That's what a garbage disposal is for ;-P I made a chicken and mushroom casserole today and it was hideous. Luckily, I had enough time to whip up buffalo chicken lettuce wraps instead.
  • juli_jones
    juli_jones Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump...i can't cook either
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to cook or really even eat healthy for that matter. I used to have a fast metabolism but those days are long gone. If anyone has any suggestions of what I should eat to lose weight, that would be great! I ate out twice today :(
    There is so much free online information on how to cook. It will take motivation from you to learn how to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Chicken and eggs are easy, versatile, tasty and protein rich.
    Tinned tomatoes added to any meat and baked with plenty of veg covered in foil for 40-50mins served with rice or pasta is dead easy and filling. Experiment! I have made meals I literally couldn't eat (but my long-suffering hubby always eats whatever I have made!) But I have found some great recipes by accident too. Use google to find inspiration.
    Enjoy learning to cook- homemade food tastes MUCH better than pre-pack stuff!
  • ssami_89
    Options
    I just eat Michalinas lean frozen meals there portioned already they taste pretty good and pretty good on calories
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to cook or really even eat healthy for that matter. I used to have a fast metabolism but those days are long gone. If anyone has any suggestions of what I should eat to lose weight, that would be great! I ate out twice today :(
    There is so much free online information on how to cook. It will take motivation from you to learn how to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^This - what Ninerbuff said.