Tracking rice - 1cup BEFORE/AFTER cooking?

Options
So I want to track some rice, but 1 cup or uncooked rice turns into like 3 cups after cooking! So in my diary, would I track that as 1 or 3 cups? I've been wondering this for months!

Any help is appreciated, thanks. :)

Replies

• MariFitBody
    MariFitBody Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I make 1 cup uncooked and measure out 3/4 cup cooked
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    get a food scale and weight it out before you cook. Don't go by volume, go by mass.

You will find that in a 1/4 cup measuring cup you will get up to 50 grams of rice, not the 45 grams most bags claim for the serving size.
  • Canadien
    Canadien Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This still doesn't really answer my question, though.
    Do I track the way the rice was BEFORE I cooked it, or after?
    :c
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It depends what the information you're using says. Is it based on dry or cooked weight? It usually says. One quarter cup of dry rice is generally 150 calories. I like to measure dry because cooked size and weight can depend on how much water it absorbs.
  • 50kgRussianBallerina
    Options
    Dry. That is the simple answer to your simple question. Don't let people confuse you with unnecessary information ;)

Yes, weight is more accurate. But weighing food all the time is not a way I, at least, would like to live my whole life - and not necessary for the majority of people. The difference is not significant enough!

Track the uncooked rice. 1 cup dry usually makes about 4 cups cooked. 1 c uncooked rice is usually about 600 kcal.
    But honestly? You can track it cooked, too. Once again, the different in calories is not really significant over the long run. 1 c cooked rice is usually about 150 kcal.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Dry. Someone explained here before. The companies have to put the nutritional info for the food they sell. They are not selling you cooked rice, they are selling you dry rice. So, all the measurments, grams, or whatever, on packages of for unprepaired product.

But, the amount of water absorbed varies everytime you cook it. If you are cooking for others, weight your precooked, and then post cooked again, dividing by number of servings (if you feel a need to be super exact).
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I go by the directions on the box. I usually measure out half a cup uncooked.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    It depends what the information you're using says. Is it based on dry or cooked weight? It usually says.

i find that the box almost NEVER says, and it pisses me off to to no end. are they taking about dry or cooked, frozen or thawed, raw or baked?!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    i always thought it was cooked. i measure it once it's cooked. so i take like 1/2 cup of the rice once it's cooked and that's my serving and i use the mfp for brown rice. it seems right this way because 1/2 cup dry rice would be about 1 1/2 cups once it's cooked and that would look like way too much on my plate.

sometimes i allow myself a whole cup of brown rice but that already looks like too much if you use the 1/4 plate for starch, 1/4 plate for protein and 1/4 for a veggie and the other 1/4 for another veggie as a guide.

so i tend to think it means cooked. measured AFTER cooking.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    AFTER.

Or go by weight.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I just weigh out the rice dry and eat it all when it's cooked.

I'm a man of simple, yet refined eating habits.
  • 50kgRussianBallerina
    Options
    To clarify: on the packaging, it refers to DRY.

You can measure it either cooked or uncooked, you just have to account for the calories in each one appropriately.

If you made a big pot of rice and you scoop out 1 cup of it on top of your plate, you will log it as 1 c cooked rice which should be in the range of 160-250 kcal.

If you measure out one cup or uncooked rice then that cup will be around 800 kcal and so will the finished product once it's done cooking and expanded in volume to yield roughly 4 cups.

Both cooked and uncooked rice have calories. Each grain of rice has the same amount of calories whether it is cooked or uncooked. You can log it either way. You just have to specify which one you log it as.

...it's so simple that I feel I [along with every other poster on this thread] is only making it more complicated than it even IS! O_o LOL.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I always look for the cooked value. I'm cooking for 4 people, not just for myself, so I really have no way of knowing my individual portion of uncooked rice when it all goes into the same pot. 1/2 cup cooked - that's easy.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Weigh it on a food scale before you cook it. I learned the hard way when I had been measuring 1/2 cup of oats for a year and logging it as 150 cals. According to the package, 1/2 cup oats weighs 40 grams, when 1/2 in my measuring cup actually weighed over 70 grams. This could apply to any food. Weigh it!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you weighed/measured cooked then log the cooked entry. If you measured dry then log the dry. If the db entry doesn't specificy, then find a better entry to log.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    The box of Goya yellow rice I have in my hand right now doesn't specify whether it's cooked or uncooked. It just says 45 grams. OK, but 45 grams cooked is an exceptionally SMALL amount, so it must be dry, but I cooked the entire package, not just a serving, so unless I cook my serving separately from the entire box... how do I know?
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I cook for others as well and look for cooked in the database. With your cooked rice, go by measure (volume) and not by weight (mass) the first time you use it. Then weigh it to see what weight you can use next time you cook it. One half cup of cooked rice is not always equal to 4 ounces IMHO. That's one way. I just measure out a portion in a measuring cup every time I want to eat it. The same with pasta. One cup of pasta weighs less than 8 ounces. So if you put 8 ounces by weight on your plate, you're eating more than you think.
  • jett254
    jett254 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If I'm cooking for my family, I weigh it before and after as needed and then divide. So, for instance, I'll measure 4 serving (and let's say the box says 1 serving = 100 calories). Then, before I serve everyone, I weigh it again and let's say it ended up being 1000g so I know that 1000g cooked = 400 calories (4*100 calories) so I measure my portion and divide accordingly - I end up calling my recipes 10 servings to make the math easy, so I made 10 servings of rice (100g each) at 40 calories per serving for 400 calories total. Hopefully that made sense. When I do the recipe, I enter it as a new recipe and put the total grams in the title (like White Rice - 1000g total)) and mark it as 10 servings, then then I can have 2 servings, or 3 servings or whatever is an appropriate serving.
  • petiteMom289
    Options
    I always measure after cooking.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    After cooking....