Low Carb, not enough calories, really???

Options
I've been doing low-carb for about a month. I absolutely love the way I feel on this diet, it has completely eliminated my sugar cravings and I have a ton of energy.

When I first started it, I bumped my calories up to 1800 to allow for the extra meat and such, I was struggling to stay at that lower level (1200).

Now that I've been on it for a while, I'm finding that I don't get hungry, at all. I forget meals because I'm not hungry. Today my total calories for the day are 682, and I am not hungry. Believe me...I've never, ever, in my entire overweight life, even conceived of having this problem!!!

So I'm asking this: I don't think it's safe to be that far under MFPs 1200 suggested minimum...but I also believe that it's natural and healthy to just listen to your body's signals. If I'm not hungry, not sick, and still feeling good, is there any reason to eat just to bump my calories up?

Curious what you all think.

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it if it only happens now and then but if it's every day yeah, it could be an issue. That said I remember two weeks or so last Summer where I didn't eat much more than that. Then it went away and I started eating at least 1200 again.

You didn't up any caffeine source or other appetite suppressant recently, did you? Or start working out less? Or take on something really stressful (stress can kill my appetite)?

The other issue I had was food boredom (eggs blech) and that could be a problem for you, too. If that's the issue try adding in some new dishes.
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    Sometimes if you restrict too severely for too long your body will nearly quit asking you for food but your brain needs to know to feed it anyway.

I don't have time to type up my whole story, but in short...make sure you hit AT LEAST that 1200 minimum or you run some pretty serious risks.

*from someone who lived it and is still fixing their body to get it functioning normally.
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but I don't think you should eat when you aren't hungry. Most of us are trying to break that habit: eat when you are sad, bored, tired, stressed, etc but not hungry.

And, also, I think (for me) it's better to average the calories out for the week. I say this because I am usually hungrier the day AFTER I exercise, and it's hard to get in those extra calories after working out.

JMO...
  • TheKoren
    TheKoren Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Lesa, that may be the problem. I don't work out all that often but I did tonight. I remember reading somewhere that exercise suppresses appetite but I only did 10 minutes worth of Jillian Michaels, lol, obviously not enough to work up an appetite, but maybe just enough to shut it off? Weird.

I made a little snack of some leftover tilapia and broccoli. Daily calories just over 800. Guess I'll just put up with the MFP lecture and be done with it for the night.

I was a really bad "boredom eater", so definitely I don't want to get back into the habit of snacking just to have something to do!
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You should never net below 1,200.
    Even that is low for most people.

I can see being a few calories under for one day, but 800
    is WAY too low.