Have Sizes Changed Over THe Years?

Options
Have Sizes Changed over the years? The last time I weighed 180 (about 30 years ago), I wore a size 18. NOW, at 180, I wear a size 14! Oh, and it seems to me that back then, a size 18 was called a "Large". Now, the 14 is called a Large! Does anyone else remember back then, 30 years ago? Is my memory playing tricks, or have the sizes actually changed??

Replies

• LesIsMoreXX
    Options
    A lot of sizes have changed and also, every brand has its' own size specification chart so you could go into one store and be a size 10 and another store and be a 14 etc. It's so annoying!
  • aalpass
    aalpass Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It's retail companies trying to be smarth. 30 years ago i was 1 so I can't comment on the sizes then, but I do know if i walk into a store and the cute skirt only fits me in a size 16 - its not getting bought; but if the cute skirt first me in a size 10 - oh hell yeah its getting bought! (BTW I'm pretty much a standard 14).
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Yes....they call it "vanity sizing". I am a size 14 now. The last time I was a size 14, I weighed 140....that was back in the mid 80's.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    That's called "vanity sizing" stores do it so we'll be so excited that we're in a smaller size that we'll be in a better mood and hopefully spend more. If you want to track your sizes as a measure of reaching your goal find a brand and style that are pretty common, or likely never to go away, and try the same exact pair of pants same cut, same brand every time from the same store.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Sizes have changed considerably. They call it vanity sizing because as the population gets fatter and fatter they don't want to say they wear a 4XL so they make the clothes bigger and bigger. Huge problem if you're on the small end of the scale especially here in Canada. I'm wearing a 4 or 6 here and don't really want teen clothing but the selection of ladies clothing in those sizes is horrible.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Yes. One term for it is "vanity sizing". Stores realized that some people are flattered when they can wear a "smaller" size and more likely to buy it.

When I go to the store I can usually buy new items 2 or 3 sizes smaller than when I started here less than a year ago, but when I go back into the older items I kept, I can only go down one size. (Those clothes are usually at least 5 years old.) The older items with the same label-size are very different! I'm beginning to think I'll need to create my own labeling to know which things are truly a similar size. I'm often wearing things that are labeled at very different sizes at the same time! Sometimes, even before it was the style... I once found a size 6 and a size 14 skirt that both fit -- on the same day! The difference in that case was the way they fit on my hips (always wide even when I was low-weight) and my waist (which at the time was about 10 inches less than my hips -- want that to be true again!)
  • taliar93
    taliar93 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It's a combination of vanity sizing and stores were still using manniquins from the 50s, because women were so much smaller back then an 18 was huge some companies still use them in aus as far as I know, my best example of vanity sizing would have to be city chic, I was a large with them a couple of years ago and before I started losing weight last year I was apparently a medium-small with them now, despite my measurements not changing lol
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    10 years ago I bought a pair of express jeans in a size 12. I weighed 153 (I'm 5'7'') and was a bit of a gym rat (aside from running 3-5 miles a day). I gained a couple pounds (5 if I remember correctly) and couldn't wear them anymore. I a currently sitting at 173 and wear a size 10. Yeah, I'd say sizes have changed even over just the past decade. I would probably be wearing a 14 or 16 if I weighed this much 10 years ago.
  • SandraJN
    SandraJN Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and weighed 105 - 110 lbs from the late '60's into the mid 80's. I wore a size 4-6. Now it would probably be a zero, which didn't exist then. At 120 I was a size 8. Sizes have changed.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    A 32 waist is still a 32 waist. Men's sizes haven't changed.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Sizes have changed considerably. They call it vanity sizing because as the population gets fatter and fatter they don't want to say they wear a 4XL so they make the clothes bigger and bigger. Huge problem if you're on the small end of the scale especially here in Canada. I'm wearing a 4 or 6 here and don't really want teen clothing but the selection of ladies clothing in those sizes is horrible.

Yes, it is difficult for people on the small end of the spectrum. A lot of stores no longer sell clothing in my size. I wear xs and a 00 now and I sure hope those don't end up being too big for me from further vanity sizing (they already are too big in some brands like at J.Crew). I'm also in Canada. I shop at Banana Republic (they have petite and small sizes). I know that I will not get any smaller. I just don't want the clothes to get bigger.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I really think it is more a function of the style more than anything. Yes, I now wear a "loose fit 32" @ 224 lbs where I used to wear a regular 34 @ 170 lbs... Of course, I actually AM smaller than I used to be at 225 since I initiated weight training... Some styles I can wear up to a 36 in but most styles I am squarely in 34. Depends on the style.
  • shariannamarie
    Options
    There is also "stretch denim" nowadays that allows you to fit not smaller sizes..
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    There is also "stretch denim" nowadays that allows you to fit not smaller sizes..

This is true also.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    and on a side note, when I was 344, I wore the upper sizes of the clothing available on the shelf... I am actually not concerned that I may drop below what is available in regular stores (before I get my body fat percentage where I am trying to achieve)... Interesting problem..
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

I thought that I read somewhere that they have changed for men too and 32 doesn't necessarily mean a 32 waist anymore like it used to.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    THey make sizes bigger to make people feel better about themselves and then that person will go back and buy more clothes from that brand.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I really think it is more a function of the style more than anything. Yes, I now wear a "loose fit 32" @ 224 lbs where I used to wear a regular 34 @ 170 lbs... Of course, I actually AM smaller than I used to be at 225 since I initiated weight training... Some styles I can wear up to a 36 in but most styles I am squarely in 34. Depends on the style.

Well, I am a petite woman. They also don't sell my shoes size in most stores. Most stores start at a size 6 shoe size for women. So, some people are just smaller framed. I know I will not get smaller, but if the clothes get bigger, then my size will change from that alone.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

I thought that I read somewhere that they have changed for men too and 32 doesn't necessarily mean a 32 waist anymore like it used to.
    Not sure about that. I put a tape around my waist and come up with 31". I put on 32" pants and there is an inch to spare. Whether they are jeans, dockers, slacks or suit pants. There doesn't seem to be the size variances like women's clothing.
  • CharlesLadd
    Options
    The real size change has been the size of the plate! Today's dinner plate is notably larger. Our concept of a serving has been adversely affected as a result.

When I was in college, back when MacDonalds was bragging they had sold a few million sandwiches (early 60s), we used to buy two regular hamburgers, an order of fries and a coke for less than $1.00. The fries were no larger and possibly smaller than the small size now, and the hamburgers were the basic variety (with chopped onion, catsup and mustard). That would leave many of us feeling unfed now.

The measurement that counts is the inch or centimeter, the pound or kilogram, not the clothing size. Ignore that little tag. Try it on, and if it fits, buy it. If the size tag bothers you, just cut it out. It's not about what covers it, it is about what it covers.