Strength Training quesiton

Options
I just started a strength training routine a couple weeks ago. I'm just wondering if I'm using enough weight. Right now most of my exercises I'm doing 3 sets of 20 reps. Usually it's a little challenging in my last set. Should it be challenging through all 3 sets? Should I be struggling to finish? How do I know when to add more weight? Currently I'm only using 5lbs.

Replies

• hockeylover13
    hockeylover13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi! It really depends on what exercise youre doing, what else youre doing and what your goal is by doing these exercises. I might be able to help more with this info. I always try to challenge myself and go for more reps ad sets each time and increasing the weight when it gets easy.
  • celticmedic
    celticmedic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It should progressively get harder throughout. You want to be able to be the hardest on the last couple of reps for each set.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    It should progressively get harder throughout. You want to be able to be the hardest on the last couple of reps for each set.

Yup.
    I do 3 sets and start out at about 8 per set, then once I am able to get around 12 - 15 (depending on the exercise) I up the weight.
  • Three4MeNHim
    Options
    Right now I'm following this routine http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/conditioning-workout-for-women.html

For some of the exercises I have a hard time getting through it, but I push until I do and for others I feel the burn but I don't struggle by any means and I feel like I could have done more.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options

^^ This. During my weight sessions, I want my last few reps to be very tough!
  • celticmedic
    celticmedic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    for those exercises that are easier with that weight, bump it up a couple pounds and see how it feels. Message me if you feel like it.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I up the weight by 5-10 lbs on the next set if I could complete the 10th rep of the previous set and bounce right up immediately to play air guitar. Clarification: most of my lifting routines are with free weights and done on an exercise ball.

:flowerforyou:
  • Three4MeNHim
    Options
    Thanks!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should read New Rules for Lifting for Women. It is a great read and has 6 months of weight lifting workouts built in. I just started and while I am not quite lifting heavy, I am lifting more than I thought I could. The first 4 weeks are 15 rep sets - last 1 or 2 are difficult, but not impossible, the next 4 weeks are heavier weights and fewer reps, next 4 is 8 reps with higher weights. I made it through week 1 feeling accomplished and excited to lift more.