What's my perfect diet?

Hey guys,

I am 26, 151 lbs and have been working out for years but just now started to really grasp the fact that my diet has been holding me back. I workout anywhere from 1 to 2 hrs a day 5 to6 days a week and had only been eating usually or trying to eat 900 calories because I was always under the assumption the less you eat and the more you exercise the faster the weight will come off...but i couldn't seem to lose any weight and now have been researching I need to eat more and eat healthier calories. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what my perfect diet should be for weightloss. I am 5'3 and classic hour glass shape. Any info would be great! Most of my work outs are high intensity cardio and core . Thanks again!!!!

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Sounds to me like too much exercise paired with not enough nutrition. Input your numbers into the MFP program....tell it you want to lose no more than a pound to a pound and a half a week, see what calorie level it sets for you. And then log your food, and eat your burned calories. Simple. Effective. No "diet".
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Honestly, visit the Mark's Daily Apple website and read Primal Blueprint. You'll have the hugest "Aha!!!" moment of your life and never look back. I'm still losing weight at 2000 calories a day, go to the gym for 3 x 1 hour sessions a week, sprint once a week and just walk daily. There is DEFINITELY such a thing as too much cardio. It just shouldn't be that hard.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    First, don't think of it as a diet. Diets fail. It's a lifestyle change. Second, you are eating WAY too little. The MINIMUM that one should safely eat is 1200 calories, but even that can be too little for some. I upped my calories to 1430 three days ago. I eat that PLUS exercise calories and I've finally started losing weight. I lost a little over 2 lbs! So I would say up your calories and eat your exercise calories. Keep your sodium in check, but if it goes over, just increase your water intake.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 562 Member
    I also recommend marksdailyapple.com. I lost 70 lbs. in a year by keeping carbs at <100g/day and working in my yard or walking almost every day. I did use MFP's calorie guidelines (adjusted the macros to reflect the carb limit) and ate back exercise calories.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Your perfect diet? The one that works for YOU. Everyone is different.
  • 4thoseiluv
    4thoseiluv Posts: 96 Member
    I read many articles stating that our weight is determined in the following way: 10% genetics, 10% exercise, and 80% food choices.
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Your perfect diet? The one that works for YOU. Everyone is different.

Agree 100% But I'm guessing you need some help figuring out what works for YOU, as obviously what you've been doing HASN'T worked for you?
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Bump
  • I personally like clean eating. Basically, you cut out processed (aka prepackaged) foods. Like you, I have an hourglass shape so I easily pack weight on around the waist. Limiting carbs (can't cut them all- Im irish after all!) combined with clean eating works well for me. I cook most of my meals on the weekends and during the week I pull out my slow cooker. Because I work out everyday, like you, I try to get about 30% of my calories from protein, another 30% from fat, and 40% from carbs. Since I am cutting weight, I eat 1500 calories. This comes out to 55 grams of fat, 124 grams of protein, and 165 grams of carbs. I hope this helps!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I'll second the road map, although I wouldn't call it a diet in any way - for me it's just knowing the highs and lows of calories for me, and eating in between. Totally doable and sustainable for life - I love it.