ABS QUESTION?

Ok... this may sound silly... but I've been told underneath the fat are abs already. Is this true? Or are they like any other muscle, you must work out to build them?

Replies

• Yes, this is true. However, you should still exercise these muscles. Isolation isn't really necessary. They get enough work from compound lifts like dead lifts and squats.
  • you have abdominal muscles - however they are not the freakish body building examples you see everywhere.... but they are there. The best workouts utilize your "core" muscles - mostly your abdominals as they support your frame in odd positions when doing different exercises.

I went on a regiment of sit-ups initially - they started adding in several different crunches as well as planks. This was something new for me because I never purposely exercised my abs... never had a desire for a 6 pack (still dont) - but I realized I was sorely lacking in this fitness category when I took the SEAL Fitness Test through my Navy recruiter... I passed the swim, pushups, and pull ups - but BARELY passed the sit up portion.... So - onward with situps. I currently pass by about 15 situps over 2 minutes which is a lot better -