why does it take so long to lose the stomach?

Options
2»

Replies

• Fredrigo
    Fredrigo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately where our bodies store fat is not one size fits all some people store it in their belly first others spread the fat over their bodies and the belly is the last place to get large.

Just keep in mind first on is last off. If you've always had a "belly" then it'll be the last place to give up it's fat.

Exercises that target an area will build the muscle which will often give the illusion of burning fat in that area but our skin (and the fat in it) is a single organ and how it stores fat is based on genetics and biochemistry not environmental activities.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You're simply not lean enough yet. Men hold their first on/last off weight on their bellies.

trouble is, if i lose too much weight, it doesn't look right on me, and i don't feel at all comfortable, my BMI says my ideal weight for my height/build is 12st, i couldn't get to 12st without looking and feeling terrible

I'm kind of in the same boat...it's either have a little fat on me or I need to bulk on muscle. If I'm just at 165 Lbs without a lot of muscle, I look horrible even though from a body fat % standpoint, it's right where I should be for a nice flat stomach and showing abs. I've just never added enough muscle elsewhere to look good at that weight and BF%...I just look lean and toned, but very slender. My guess is that I'll get down to right around 170 - 175 (my happy place) and be 17% - 19% BF, but still have a slight belly. The only time mine has ever been flat with abs was around 160-165 and about 12%-15% BF. I think to really look good at 12-15% BF, I'd have to bulk on some muscle to be around 170-175Lbs and I'm not sure that I have that kind of dedication to the weight room.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    i know the one, Waddon Leisure Centre and Fusion, funnily enough, they're one of the places i deliver to during my work day, i haven't had a chance to have a look around there yet tho', have you been yourself?

Went there a couple of days ago. I'm probably joining this week, as the only things they seem to lack compared to the Croydon private gyms are the sauna and steam/beauty therapy rooms. And they aren't worth another twenty quid on top of fees per month.

The weights machines aren't huge in number, but they're all brand new, they've got Concept rowers, the pool area looks very good - and the price isn't bad, even if you do choose to pay for membership (which still isn't contracted, unlike the private places, so you can decide to stop at any time and revert to PAYG if you aren't using it much).
  • AmandaDawnRN
    AmandaDawnRN Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use Zumba DVDs. I dropped the gym membership long ago as I was only going for Zumba. There are shorter video on you tube also. The DVD sets aren't cheap but I look at it as buying a few months of a gym membership.