PCOS - Metformin

Options
I was diagnoised with having PCOS a couple of months ago. Just curious if anyone experience stomach issues with being on Metformin. Also, if anyone knows why the doctors have been prescribing it. What symptoms they showed to give them the reasoning for that.

Replies

• leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I'm taking Metformin. I had some major tummy troubles when I started on it. I was able to eliminate foods that triggered problems and now I rarely have any side effects. Coffee was a major problem, now I drink green tea and have no problem whatsoever.

As far as why it is perscribed, it is to control blood sugar. Insulin resistance is par for the course with PCOS.
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed.. However never put on Metformin, I was put on blood pressure meds and other things. My dr flat out told me, CHANGE your eating habits and reduce your stress.. I am down 9 lbs, (only been at it a month) and hoping not to have to go on it. (NO INS) I am hoping to get off my blood pressure pills soon. My weight is all in my stomach.. and i have a lot to LOOSE....GOOD luck with your weight loss and I hope that it works out for you.
  • kellytwingirlz97
    Options
    I am also taking Metformin but I have had no stomach issues. I was not having any symptoms for them to prescribe it but when they ran lab work it showed insulin resistance. It seems anytime I mention that I am on Metformin people automatically think I am a diabetic so I have to explain that it is precautionary so I do not become a diabetic.
  • AmberMcDowell
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS last year and have been on Metformin for over a year now. I have had tummy troubles the entire time and it just keeps getting worse for me. Its supposed to get better the longer you are on it but I guess I am just strange. Actually I am going to talk to a doc about it soon. But metformin is a medicine to control the insulin resistance that comes with PCOS. Its supposed to help you drop weight ( i havent lost a pound and have been killing myself) and increase fertility. Hope this helps :) and doesnt scare you
  • michfitzhome
    michfitzhome Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 15, that was about 23 years ago. I never went on anything until we could not have children, i have always been overweight, I did the metformin when we were doing in-vitro and it did bother my stomach, i spent a lot of time in the bathroom. i am not on metformin now, as we are done having kids, and i was only on when we were trying to get pregnant, which i might add was very successful and i have 5 kids 5 and under
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS last year and have been on Metformin for over a year now. I have had tummy troubles the entire time and it just keeps getting worse for me. Its supposed to get better the longer you are on it but I guess I am just strange. Actually I am going to talk to a doc about it soon. But metformin is a medicine to control the insulin resistance that comes with PCOS. Its supposed to help you drop weight ( i havent lost a pound and have been killing myself) and increase fertility. Hope this helps :) and doesnt scare you

i have been on it for 10 months. i also have had stomach issues the whole time and i have only recently started losing weight (4 pounds in 4 months). we have had to increase my dose beyond the recommended ceiling in order for it to start benefiting me. i recently switched to the controled-release version and it seems to help with the tummy problems.
    dawn