Need a break and need opinions!

mom020305
mom020305 Posts: 33
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Has anyone taken a week off from keeping track? I think I may need a week off. I still will watch my portions and I don't plan on overindulging. But I think the numbers, from counting calories, making sure I burn enough etc is doing more harm than good mentally. I need to take a step back and reevaluate.. Any opinions?

Replies

• EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    I don't do the breaks... During Christmas time I would miss days here and there, and I didn't lose anything (i didn't gain anyting either), but I've been addicted to this site since I started... I have to get on at least once a day! :embarassed: Do you think I need a break? lol :sick: am I sick in the head or what?! *muwhahaha!*
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    I used to get really overwhelmed by the amount of "health" information out there - what proportions of what foods I should be eating, what's "okay" versus what's "not okay". While I admit that MFP site can get pretty addictive, I think the calorie tracking is essential to success. The reason I think this is because if you're anything like me, you'll discount certain things in your mind if you're not keeping track. Like the odd chocolate easter egg, or the little cookie that gets served with your tea/coffee, or the three beers you have with friends on a Friday night.

But everyone's different and if the number counting is causing you stress, then maybe another plan will work better for you.

Good luck!
  • Rensco
    Rensco Posts: 36
    I haven't been doing this long but I would say that if you need a break for a week, take it. You've been doing it long enough to know the drill (watch your calories/serving sizes and exercise) and can probably judge it all for yourself. Maybe weigh yourself before you take the week off and then after a week. Obviously if you find you've gained 5lbs then you know you need to go back to counting or try a different program. If it stays the same or you loose then you're good. Counting calories is good for the short term but I don't see it as a lifetime thing but more of a lifestyle change and you sound like that's how you view it. As you said, eat right, don't overdo and you should be fine. Good luck and hope it works for you and the break helps!
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    I don't log food while on vacation and on the weekends. I tried not logging for awhile but like someone else said you forget about the small things you've eaten and next thing you know you're way over. Once I've reached my goal weight I may try not logging for awhile to see if I have the hang of it or not. But I've got 35 pounds to go so now is not the time for me to not log food. You can try it and see how it goes, everyone is different. I must admit it would be nice to not worry about it but that's what got me 100 pounds over weight in the first place. Good Luck!:smile:
  • dmb9p
    dmb9p Posts: 10
    I agree with Rensco. You know yourself. You've been at this long enough that, if you think taking a break will help you regain some sanity, then go for it! Maybe start with just a weekend or a work week, and see how it goes. Odds are, if you don't go too crazy, you probably won't fluctuate any more than a pound or maybe 2. Then, come back recharged and ready to start again!!!
  • My opinion is if it is stressing you out then definately take a break. When our bodies are under physical or emotional stress, we can actually set our weight loss back. An idea I have for you is before you take your "break" look back over a few days worth of entries. This will give you a reminder of what meals you've had and snacks youve eaten that have still gotten you where your totals needed to be. If you've been counting long enough you know approximately how much you can have without recording and analysing every bite.

Good Luck
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    I took a break about a month ago. I was on a 6 week long plateau, and had just HAD it. Locked the scale away, banned myself from MFP for a few days, and didn't really count as accurate for a week or so, meaning I watched my cals, but didn't worry about burning all those extra exercise calories and all that. For me, it worked out great. I didn't lose anything during that time, but it got me re-encouraged to start a new fitness program (30 day Shred), and it let me see that I could make wise food choices without knowing EXACT nutrition/cals etc. And about 3 weeks later, without any other changes to my diet/exercise, I finally lost 2.3 lbs one week, followed by .6 the next week which I really think was my body letting go of stress weight. I was at the point where I'd cry for almost an hour some nights after working so HARD counting cals and burning cals and trying to eat clean with no success. If you're at that point then I say go for it. If it just seems a little "boring" then maybe look for some new recipe ideas, or get into a new fitness routine before taking a hiatus. Good luck!
  • kaja
    kaja Posts: 145 Member
    I took quite a long break from MFP I didn't log anything for about 3 months over christmas etc. I did put on about 5lbs during this time but it gave me a chance to relax and then when I was ready I came back to the site with a renewed attitude and more motivation.
    If logging all the time is getting you stressed and down take a time out and restart when you are ready.
    This weight loss is for you so do it the way that you want to.
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Personally, the "break" is my downfall. I know myself. I know that in the past when I have gotten confident and thought I could take a break that I would not come back. Having said that, you know yourself and the fact that you are even asking the question, means that you are really thinking about this and not taking a break lightly. You should do what is right for you.
  • mom020305
    mom020305 Posts: 33
    Thanks everyone. The first 60lbs came off just by exercising and watching what I ate! I love logging and I think I am doing everything correct. But I am not losing, that is obviously the frustrating part!

Anyone want to check my food log and offer insight it would be greatly appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.