Exercise Plan

Options
I would really like to come up with an exercise plan so I have something to follow. I really don't know what makes a well-rounded plan. Does anyone have any websites or suggestions to get me started?

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I think you need to be more specific with your goals and where you are now.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    where are you now as far as weight and level of fitness. what are your goals? do you have a goal such as 'run a 5k' or something like that? please, be specific if you can.
  • lesleynichole4
    Options
    Not sure what your goals are exactly but bodybuilding.com has some great fitness guides

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html

this one by Jamie Eason I really like. She gives you complete weekly workout schedules, meal plans, shopping lists, supplement info, and videos.

good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    I would really like to come up with an exercise plan so I have something to follow. I really don't know what makes a well-rounded plan. Does anyone have any websites or suggestions to get me started?

but to answer your question, a well-rounded beginner plan has about equal amounts of cardio and strength training.

do strength training on monday, wednesday, and friday. do full body circuits that include a a quads exercise, a hamstrings and butt exercise, push exercise, a pull exercise, and core exercise.

on tuesday, thursday, and saturday, do some cardio. bike, run, swim, elliptical, stair climber, sprints, whatever.

sunday you rest. do some stretching or yoga. do bulk cooking so you have good healthy meals for the week.
  • jktefft
    jktefft Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was on WW this last year and lost 20lbs so I got down to 272. However I started having trouble following it and went up to 280. So I have just joined this site as I have heard good things. I have a fairly active job as I am an occupational therapy assistant so I do not do a lot of sitting through out the day. In the past I have had a hard time concentrating on both fitness and nutrition, I do well with focusing on one or the other and I would really like to learn to balance the both of them.

I don't have any specific fitness goals like 5k etc, more having an exercise plan I can follow to assist with losing weight and helping improve overall fitness and activity levels.

I hope this gives people more of an idea

:)
  • jgetzler
    Options
    When I started a year and half ago my goal was to run a 5k before I turned 40, so I started the couch to 5k. Between that and eating right I lost a lot of weight and accomplished my goal. I then started classes at my gym to gain muscle. Any exercize regime you choose is s going to be hard but just know you can do it!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    I was on WW this last year and lost 20lbs so I got down to 272. However I started having trouble following it and went up to 280. So I have just joined this site as I have heard good things. I have a fairly active job as I am an occupational therapy assistant so I do not do a lot of sitting through out the day. In the past I have had a hard time concentrating on both fitness and nutrition, I do well with focusing on one or the other and I would really like to learn to balance the both of them.

I don't have any specific fitness goals like 5k etc, more having an exercise plan I can follow to assist with losing weight and helping improve overall fitness and activity levels.

you should. i find that having a measurable goal is an excellent way to stay motivated.

think about if you've ever had to save money. it can be easier to save money if you say something like "oh, i need to save $200 a month for the next 6 months to go on vacation." but people that are just putting away money with no specific reason often find it harder to do so.

if you go online and search for a race in your area about six months from now, and sign up for it, you'll have a specific date to be ready for. you'll also be able to be a little more specific in your training,and not just exercising in such a haphazardous way.
  • jktefft
    Options
    The 5k gives me a goal. But I want more of an idea of things to work on at the gym like if i should alternate strengthening and cardio, alternate muscle groups, etc? Thats the part i need help with.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Calculate your maintenace calories (TDDE) and deduct thirty percent from that number. Go into MFP setting and set your calories on whatever that numbers is.

Develop a strenght training program that has you doing barbell squats, deadlifts, over head presses, chinups/pullups, etc. You should be doing total body workout three days a week (mon wens fri perhaps) with two other days of cardio....do this for about three months and then back off the cardio and start doing heavier weights..maybe go to a four day split mon/tues thurs/fri something like that...if you are not sure about these moves you can google them or pick up a book..I believe a good in is "new rules for lifting" or something like that..

Someone else mentioned circuit training but I think if you pick weights and work with them in the 6-10 range you will start to lean out and lose body fat...I prefer that over circuits...

Remember your taining should be linear in that you keep adding weight and reps to your moves...three months from now you should not stil lbe using same weight and same reps. IE if you start with barbell squats just the bar at 6-10 reps each ...three monts from now you should have some weight on your back and be working in the 6-10 rep range...

you can also check out www.leangains.com or http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

Oh and if you can..join a gym and don't be afraid of the free weight section ..no one gives an F if you are out of shape we are all their for some reason.and if they do they are a bunch of dbags! :)

Good luck to you! Remember it is a life style change and not just a diet....
  • jktefft
    Options
    This helps a lot! I will definitely look into those websites. I am a member at a gym but never really knew how to plan my workouts. I do want this to be a lifestyle change. Thank you for your tips :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    This helps a lot! I will definitely look into those websites. I am a member at a gym but never really knew how to plan my workouts. I do want this to be a lifestyle change. Thank you for your tips :)

no problem..good luck to you!

Feel free to add me as a friend and let me know how it goes...