Correct Calories but not Healthy Food?

Options

Replies

• Hazel2005
    Hazel2005 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I may not have had the correct numbers, but wanted to show that overall, healthier food choices allow us to eat more. The end result being we are feeling full and satisfied and more likely to continue toward our goals.

I have noticed on the boards that rather than comment or question someone politely on something they post, or message them privately, the norm is to jump on what is said, be sarcastic, hurtful and/or ridicule the poster. Again, my apologies if I offended someone.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    For the most part I've learned quality vs. quantity. While there is nothing wrong with what you are doing, you are apt to be able to eat more if you make healthier choices. Here are a few examples -

100 baked potatoes = the same amount of fat as 1 ounce of potato chips (an average handful)
    1 scoop of french vanilla ice cream vs. 450 caramel rice cakes
    37 kiwi fruit vs 1 package of Reese's peanut butter cups

You get the picture. Baby steps. Kudos on recognizing measuring and portion control is key. Everything will come the more you research and enjoy the food choices and recipes that are waiting for you. Good Luck!

In what world do you live that 37 kiwi (1850 calories) is better than a package of Reese (~250 calories)???? Or how is 1 scoop of ice cream equivalent to 22,500 calories (450 rice cakes)????

They are exaggerated examples (fat content) of quality vs. quanity that someone gave me - literally, no one would eat that much of course. I apologize for not researching the numbers more. Thank you for reminding me why I generally avoid the boards.

Sounds like whoever told you that gave you bad advice. First of all, you're equating quantity to quality, instead of contrasting them.

Fat in food is not evil. Eating 100 times more calories in order to avoid fat is not good for you. Your body needs a certain amount of fat.

If you're going to exaggerate in order to make a point and use inaccurate amounts, please be careful to state it in a way that will not mislead others on this site. It's unlikely that any food is healthy for you at the extremes.

Yes, more nutritionally dense or less calorie dense is what many of us need to feel satisfied, but the original poster has already noted that she's satisfied. And variety is healthy. I can list a bunch of health findings for chocolate, ice cream, cheese and many other foods that some people on this site avoid as "evil" or "bad" foods. And sticking to a reasonable diet is FAR more important than stuffing yourself with nutritionally limited foods like rice cakes, kiwis and potatoes (all of which are good parts of a reasonable diet, but won't provide a balanced, nutritional diet).
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I may not have had the correct numbers, but wanted to show that overall, healthier food choices allow us to eat more. The end result being we are feeling full and satisfied and more likely to continue toward our goals.

I have noticed on the boards that rather than comment or question someone politely on something they post, or message them privately, the norm is to jump on what is said, be sarcastic, hurtful and/or ridicule the poster. Again, my apologies if I offended someone.

You appear to be a touch over sensitive my little chicken.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    OP, I think you are doing great :) Too many times I've seen people (and this includes me back in the day) have this all or nothing attitude. Especially starting out, focus on sticking to your calorie goals. Then make changes where you see fit...maybe you notice you aren't meeting one of your macros or getting enough of a certain nutrient. Overall, habits take time to change :) Keep doing what you are doing! :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For the most part I've learned quality vs. quantity. While there is nothing wrong with what you are doing, you are apt to be able to eat more if you make healthier choices. Here are a few examples -

100 baked potatoes = the same amount of fat as 1 ounce of potato chips (an average handful)
    1 scoop of french vanilla ice cream vs. 450 caramel rice cakes
    37 kiwi fruit vs 1 package of Reese's peanut butter cups

You get the picture. Baby steps. Kudos on recognizing measuring and portion control is key. Everything will come the more you research and enjoy the food choices and recipes that are waiting for you. Good Luck!

An ounce of potato chips is only 10 grams of fat. And if you're going to eat a baked potato, it will need butter. One tablespoon of butter actually has 12 grams of fat. Corn tortilla chips, the kind you eat with salsa, is even less, with only about 7 grams per ounce.

Rice cakes are just gross.

And Reese's cups actually has a bit of protein, while kiwi has none.

Nutrition facts for a standard two-cup Reese's package:
    Calories 210
    Total Fat 13 g
    Total Carbs 24 g
    Protein 5 g

A kiwi is basically just 12 carbs, 48 calories each.

So if you have more than enough fat and protein for the day, then four kiwi would be the caloric equivalent to a pack of Reese's. That's kind of the point. You can't compare foods like that. It's better to view your diet as a whole. And the nutrient goals of one person may not be the same as another. For example, a diabetic would always be better off with the Reese's over the kiwi because the fat will help slow the absorption of the sugars. But of course a diabetic *can* plan for a piece of fruit, they just have to be more careful than those of us without sensitivities or medical conditions.

Your examples actually make a very good case for IIFYM. :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

You are correct that sometimes volume is more important for satiety. But consider how everyone always likes to say, "This is a lifestyle change, not a diet." I'd like to point out that lifestyle choices vary from person to person, and that's ok.

Reese's has always been a part of my lifestyle. That is one thing that will never change. Chocolate-covered peanut butter....chocolate covered peanuts....ice cream with hot fudge, covered in peanuts... These are the *real* choices, not Reese's VS. a piece of fruit. (Except maybe chocolate covered fruit, dipped in peanut butter)
  • Faded_Memories
    Options
    I have been doing this for 40 days now...I would NOT have made it past day 1 without having 'unhealthy' foods every now and then. My biggest 'need' are crisps...so instead of having regular crisps now, I go for the low cal ones. My boyfriend eats more chocolate now than he did before we started counting calories....which we have talked about, that even though he's under his calorie goal...its probably not wise to have chocolate every day ;)

But I am definitely not a health nut.

The one thing I'm proud of...is I love chips. LOVE chips. And I've only had chips once since starting MFP - and not from a chipper.

Saying that now...I'm dyin' for a plate of chips ;)
  • deanjou59
    deanjou59 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    To be honest it sounds perfect to me. Youve managed to improve your eating habits and hit your macros whilst still eating the foods you enjoy. I think thats what we should all be striving for. Your's sounds like a sustainable plan that would be easy to stick to. Well done x

^^ I second this! :) Very well said!
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Personally I think eating a lot of frozen, prepackaged, or processed foods isn't healthy.
    I just can't see high sodium or foods that have been processed being beneficial in the long run for health.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Personally I think eating a lot of frozen, prepackaged, or processed foods isn't healthy.
    I just can't see high sodium or foods that have been processed being beneficial in the long run for health.

There always has to be one negative nancy doesn't there? :laugh:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    improvement is incremental. You have started in the right direction. You can always get better.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

There always has to be one negative nancy doesn't there? :laugh:

Agreed. As a lot of us have said...change takes time. Trying to do it all at once is just setting yourself up for failure. Also, some people can't afford to continually have fresh veggies or fruits. Frozen veggies might fit into their budget and life better than fresh - for now at least. Especially starting out, it isn't about doing everything 100% right off the bat.
  • kaylalryan
    kaylalryan Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    improvement is incremental. You have started in the right direction. You can always get better.

^^^THIS!

You have made great changes...and as you get healthy, your body MAY start to crave other healthy things... It's all a process and anything that gets you a little closer to living healthy is AWESOME!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

What's wrong with eating relatively high sodium (for those without underlying medical conditions, of course)?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

What's wrong with eating relatively high sodium (for those without underlying medical conditions, of course)?

Also, what is wrong with frozen food, or even packaged or processed (in context)?
  • marykpfist
    marykpfist Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Although technically, it would probably equate the same, the truth is you will probably tire of the small number if your eating habits don't improve.

I'm fairly new to MFP, but I've already learned that a 250 calorie breakfast can be a giant plate of healthy food, or a small serrving of something bad. I've started cooking more-- it helps.

I don't eliminate everything fun, although I do watch it all very carefully. Adding more veggies always helps.

Are you full on that number of calories? Not eating healthily?
  • rodeothedog
    rodeothedog Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yep I feel embarrassed when I look at other peoples daily journal. I still have a real snack but try to stay within my daily caloric range. Seems to be working for me. If I don't I think I might just over eat
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Hitting your daily calorie goal is by far the most important.
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Healthy food is a very debatable topic here on MFP. The orthodox Paleo folks have one idea. The Dean Ornesh diet folks have another. There are some who say it doesn't matter what you eat as long as it fits your calories. The latter group are usually younger. Older and hopefully wiser folks say to eat the least processed foods that fit your lifestyle.

The spectrum is broad. Personally, I believe the closer you can go towards the whole organic food side the better. Would I eat at Taco Bell... of course but it would not be my first choice. Your best carbs if you eat grains, would be complex because of their slower burn and nutrients. Grass fed beef would be best eaten at the least temperature that would kill bacteria descending into the generic roll of hamburger meat you pick up at your local big box store at the least end. Fruits in your season.

These are the ideals... McDonald's drive through when you have 5 minutes before your next stop is a reality sometimes but should not be the norm. Or.... be skinny with hypertension, kidney disease, cancer and every other possible nutritionally related disease other than obesity!

I love everything this person said. I just want to add - I applaud you for making it happen, I'm especially surprised that you don't feel hungry - that's my biggest problem with "junk" food - sure I can have 1 slice of pizza for supper and stay within my calories, but I'm still starving!! lol anyway, make the slow changes necessary to fuel your body, you may discover that your new healthy and strong body craves more whole foods and less processed foods, so change it up then.

One final thing I want to mention - is to keep in mind your children or future children. You and your husband have gone down the long road of over eating, making poor choices and now are coming out of that - if your children see you eating processed/restaurant food more often, they don't have the maturity to see that you're eating within limits etc, and you might start a cycle of poor eating habits for them! Better they see you eating whole foods regularily and convenience foods as a treat or in a time pinch etc.
  • joddumz
    Options
    I always wonder about this too-- I'm a fan of junk food/non healthy stuff and thats fine in moderation as everyone has been mentioning.

A friend of mine advised me before I start cutting out a whole lotta things to add in the good stuff - fruit, veggies etc and my body responded well to them had increased energy etc so it made it easier to reduce the other stuff if that makes sense.

I find when I come home and i'm starving if I eat a choc bar first it has a very different feel to if I have an orange or something and then have the choc bar if I still want it - comes back to the whole why are you eating it? I have tried to cut back on eating rubbish food just because i'm starving :smile: