Healthy Food in the USA & New Mexico

Options
I`m heading to the US in roughly a month, and am beyond excited about the massive amounts of shopping to be done! I am preparing in advance to keep myself on track with my weight loss and nutrition whilst in the States, I have packed a small blender, my protein powder, Stevia....etc. After being a member on MFP and noticing the large volume of American members, I wanted to ask more about some great nutritious and healthy products that are a must try when visiting! For instance, I have noticed a few people mention a low calorie alternative to cheese found in the States, either by the brand Laughing Cow or Skinny Cow? Also, could anyone provide recommendations of healthy grocery stores, restaurant's in the New Mexico area? Thank you in advance!!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    New mexico is a big place. What city? But generally any grocery store is fine. If you care about organic stuff, there's probably a WholeFoodsMarket.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Um. The stuff you're packing - you probably can buy all of that at most health food stores and even some vita shoppes. If you're going to an area with a Whole Foods, you won't need to pre-pack everything. As for protein powder, are you going to be on vacation? If yes, just buy some protein bars or eggs and eat right while you're here. They sell the Stevia powder in packets at most health food stores for travel and you can even get that at a big Walmart. Basically, buy healthy REAL food and you'll be fine.

The blender is a good idea as most hotel rooms don't have them so definitely a good idea. Hopefully, you're renting a suite so it has a kitchen. If not, you'll probably have a small fridge so you'll have a tough time cooking. You'll probably just want to eat healthy sandwiches and keep veggies as toppings. It all depends on where you're staying and what type of equipment is in the style of room you selected.

Monica
  • bronizzle
    bronizzle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies:)
    I will be staying in Albuquerque and yes there is a kitchen! I am packing my own protein powder, stevia..etc. because I don`t want to have to spend additional money purchasing these items(especially if I cannot find the specific brands) on top of buying healthy food.

Is anyone aware of some unique must try health foods that are available in the States and not Canada? I was really looking forward to trying some new things, but I find health food can be really hit and miss on the taste aspect, any and all recommendation's would be appreciated! I am really excited to try a Whole Foods Market, as we don`t have them!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies:)
    I will be staying in Albuquerque and yes there is a kitchen! I am packing my own protein powder, stevia..etc. because I don`t want to have to spend additional money purchasing these items(especially if I cannot find the specific brands) on top of buying healthy food.

Is anyone aware of some unique must try health foods that are available in the States and not Canada? I was really looking forward to trying some new things, but I find health food can be really hit and miss on the taste aspect, any and all recommendation's would be appreciated! I am really excited to try a Whole Foods Market, as we don`t have them!
    Albuquerque also has Sprouts Markets. Much Cheaper than whole foods. My experience: I can pretty much buy the same stuff in Canada as I do in the U.S. (I go to Canada about 3 times a year for a week or two at a time.)
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    If you spot some Dave's Killer Bread, buy it! His bakery is located in Oregon and he seems to be making a marketing push in the western states. I buy mine at Walmart. It is fantastic bread, my favorite so far is 21 Grain.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you spot some Dave's Killer Bread, buy it! His bakery is located in Oregon and he seems to be making a marketing push in the western states. I buy mine at Walmart. It is fantastic bread, my favorite so far is 21 Grain.
    Just googled that. DAMN that looks good! Hope we get it soon.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I just looked and he offers his bread in Nevada and Arizona, no New Mexico listing yet.