Results without the gym

Options
2»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I think many of you are hearing a totally different question than the one she's asking. People that are considering setting up a home gym mention that important price of information. She's not asking if she should install a squat rack in the spare bedroom. She's asking if she can do this without exercising. Or workout lifting. Or with minimal effort.

That's the case with 90% of these questions
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    What I understood from the OP's question was can she achieve weight loss and maintain muscle (what I understand from the term 'toning') by working out at home.

I am sure the answer you will all agree is yes providing there is enough motivation and research into how to approach it.

That might be a weights set up or it might be progressive bodyweight routines - same outcome, different paths.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Carlos, I believe you got it, I'm speaking more to the peeps talking about elaborate home gym setups. I think your answer is closer.

However,I will say that among people that won't commit to going to the gym it's hard to find someone that will commit to a strenuous bodyweight routine. Those tend to be very intense and the type of person that avoids gym routines is usually looking for a way to dodge that intensity, not increase it. They want a shortcut but bodyweight workouts are the opposite once you get past the basics
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Carlos, I believe you got it, I'm speaking more to the peeps talking about elaborate home gym setups. I think your answer is closer.

However,I will say that among people that won't commit to going to the gym it's hard to find someone that will commit to a strenuous bodyweight routine. Those tend to be very intense and the type of person that avoids gym routines is usually looking for a way to dodge that intensity, not increase it. They want a shortcut but bodyweight workouts are the opposite once you get past the basics
    Unfortunately I only rent a small room in a shared house, so no space for a 'home gym', but if I did, I reckon I'd still be happy to do Starting Strength or similar at home - as with my set up at work, you can wander off for the rest periods and are actually doing relatively small amounts of actual lifting - you're not sitting there doing 8 sets of 12 reps with thirty seconds rest between, then moving on to another exercise.

But then I've never found lifting dislikeable per se, just boring - while I do actually dislike running, say (though still do do it on occasion.)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Thanks DavPul. I get you. I admit I am intense in how I approach my bodyweight exercises though my body is nothing to crow about right now - it's a work in progress. Maybe in one year's time I get to roll out the new Formula Me!

It's true, many people go for bodyweight - pressups, situps etc as the easy option and the progress then is short lived and limited. Easier then to go for weights to continue progress.

You have to really like progressive bodyweight exercises to keep squeezing results. I'm hooked so it is a pain of pleasure for me - my guilty pleasure, but hey - better than the garbage I was pleasuing myself with for so long before.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Don't underestimate the power of your own body weight! My home gym consists of dumbbells, an elliptical machine, a stationary bike, an old treadmill (currently in storage cause it's too old and busted), resistance bands, and a hula hoop. I've seen this belly bare ABS! I don't workout in public unless it's a dance class. :bigsmile: