Post saying - was under her calorie goal - a good thing?

Options
It really sounds good when you see - under her calorie goal but is this really a good thing? What I am reading, it not's really. Is it or not?

Replies

• LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    When you see that post, it means the person didn't over eat. It is a good thing, unless it was under the minimum requirement of 1,200 calories a day :)

Hope that helps!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Depends on how far under. 20....great job! 200....could be not so great. And 200 under day after day ...potentially a problem long term.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    It depends. If your calorie goal is - say - 1400 and you come in at 1375; it's good.

If your calorie goal is 1200 and you come in at 975, not good.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    *IDEALLY* the calories should be eaten, but not over. I try not to hem and haw too much about under by 100 calories unless they are already sitting at a very low net calorie in the first place. (IE 1300 eating only 1200 - yikes!) That said, I think people are of the mindset that the numbers they see on their profile are what they should be trying to stay under. It is too easy to forget you are already eating at a significant (for some) deficit so we try and squeeze in under those numbers when, instead, we should be gobbling every tasty calorie. I am tragically guilty of this on quite a few days, especially workout days when I can EAT 2000 calories, but feel piggish eating 1700..

Work in progress for me and many others, I am sure
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I don't pay too much attention to that for several reasons.

1. Calorie counting is more art than science. It's never exact.

2. My calories expenditure for exercise is also not exact. Sometimes my garmin gets inaccurate readings. I did NOT get up to 65 mph this morning. So I'm assuming my calorie expenditure is grossly inaccurate. So I won't eat back all of those calories.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I wish it gave a small band of over or under 50 or 100, rather than 1 calorie over and it goes red. It encourages under eating with the way it is designed now. I still give people props if they go over by less than 100. It's not that precise anyway.

This. Or even just added to every post : was within x% of their calorie goal.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I wish it gave a small band of over or under 50 or 100, rather than 1 calorie over and it goes red. It encourages under eating with the way it is designed now. I still give people props if they go over by less than 100. It's not that precise anyway.

This. Or even just added to every post : was within x% of their calorie goal.

This! It should say 'was within their calorie goal' or something similar...
  • tinygiraffe
    Options
    Ok, I started "dieting" on the 17 day diet and lost 12 pounds in the l7 days. I then started using this fitness pal and counting calories. The next 7 days, I ate less than 1,000 calories a day and (fitness pal said I was starving) and gained .5 pounds.
    Then I upped my calories to 1150 to 1200 for the next 7 days and gained another pound. I am discouraged--what do I do now?
  • Careygirl1968
    Careygirl1968 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    All great answers. Basically, by eating under 1000 calories per day, your metabolism slowed and your body was hanging onto the calories in preservation mode. You also didn't specify what type of calories you were eating. It is a numbers game, but quality of your calories matter, too
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    What she said!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Ok, I started "dieting" on the 17 day diet and lost 12 pounds in the l7 days. I then started using this fitness pal and counting calories. The next 7 days, I ate less than 1,000 calories a day and (fitness pal said I was starving) and gained .5 pounds.
    Then I upped my calories to 1150 to 1200 for the next 7 days and gained another pound. I am discouraged--what do I do now?

17 day diet = dehydration. Your body is now stabilized and ready to start being healthy!