bread alternatives please

Options
Bread makes me feel so bloated but find it really convenient to have in, does anyone have any alternatives that they have without the bloat??

Replies

• TisheaDH
    TisheaDH Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Have you tried lettuce for wrapping? What ingredients do you normally put on your bread? Could you make a bowl meal out of it instead?
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm using corn tortillas
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Do you have any clue why bread makes you feel bloated? If it's the wheat, try bread made with other grains. If it's gluten, try gluten-free items. If you don't know what it is, perhaps you could attempt to find out?
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Try sourdough bread. The bacteria in it have partially digested the grains so it will easier for you to digest.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    what is it about the bread that makes you bloated? could it be gluten sensitivity or intolerance?
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Aunt Millies 35 Cal. Whole grain. There are a few different 35 Cal brands
  • treatdream
    treatdream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Bread makes me feel so bloated but find it really convenient to have in, does anyone have any alternatives that they have without the bloat??

I have a problem with wheat/gluten (indigestion) so I only eat one piece of 100% rye bread in the morning (rye is lower in gluten) and then I switch to potatoes or corn for concentrated carbs the rest of the day. For speed, I quite like Tera Food's blue potato chips (no trans fats) and organic blue corn tortilla chips (make sure they are made with blue corn and not just colored that way). The natural blue coloring is very good for you (proanthocyanidids or something). I often will have a russet potato with my dinner on my heavier exercise days. I have been wheat bread free for two years now (and have slowly lost 52 pounds).

As an example, for lunch today, I had an ounce of organic blue corn tortilla chips, with a couple of ounces of organic cheddar cheese melted on top (and I put some sliced jalapeno pepper and powdered garlic on top). Didn't have any salsa (I make my own to avoid the added sugar in bottled salsa). Sometimes, if I have room for the extra calories, I will spread some full-fat organic yogurt on top (tastes like sour cream with only half the fat). Yum.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

If you have a gluten intolerance and it makes you bloat, try ezekiel bread if you want something that's considered bread...
  • petiteMom289
    Options
    We use ezekiel.
  • jacinta13011
    Options
    I think its yeast I have a problem with :-(
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Have you tried lettuce for wrapping? What ingredients do you normally put on your bread? Could you make a bowl meal out of it instead?

^ THIS

I am in love with this at the moment and I used to eat bread all the time.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I think its yeast I have a problem with :-(

Then bread made with the sourdough process would be a good choice. Sourdough is made using a bacterial (bacteria that is good for the bowel) process. The 100% rye bread that I eat is made by the sourdough method.
  • ltgarrow
    ltgarrow Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The brand Josephs has a lot of different flax wraps and pita that you could try. I barely eat regular bread anymore. Two birds with one stone, because they're lower calories as well.
  • benflando
    Options
    Ezekiel 4:9 bread sold mostly at Whole Foods etc.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    lavash.jpg
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem, but it was because my carb content was too high. I increased my protein content and can now eat any type of bread without getting stomach cramps and feeling bloated.

This, of course, is personal experience and has no basis in scientific fact.