Ordering when you go out to eat!

Options
Last nights a group of us went to Longhorn Steak house. If was my first time there.
I ordered the crusty chicken and a Cesar salad, and a sweat potato.
It is so hard to go out with a group and try to order. I didn't eat all my potato, and salad.
I stayed in my calories for the day, but I still think I made the wrong choice.

Replies

• pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have the grilled trout and green beans when I go to Longhorn. They have a menu section that's called 500 calories or less (something like that). Where they prepare the entrees in a healthier way.

If you went over, it's not the end of the world. Take it from someone who did last week and bounced back.
  • 33le
    33le Posts: 11
    Options
    If you know where you are going to eat you can check out the menu online, a lot of restaurants have nutritional info available, and you'll be able to make a wise choice before you get there and are pressured to order .
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    If I haven't been to a particular restaurant recently, I try to plan ahead what I'm going to order, usually choosing several options in case the menu has changed, That way I can allow enough calories to enjoy myself!
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I just feel so bad and mad at myself for making the wrong food choice. Sometimes I think I'm to hard on myself.
    I always have a hard time when I go out to eat.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I go out to eat so rarely I will order whatever I want to be honest.

If its just grabbing a quick lunch somewhere then I'll pick the option that contains the leanest protein and avoid anything fried or cheesy!

Don't feel guilty! Enjoy your food!
  • cjs3001
    cjs3001 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I just feel so bad and mad at myself for making the wrong food choice. Sometimes I think I'm to hard on myself.

Well, to be blunt, stop it. Sounds like you made a good choice an feeling bad will just make you dread going out and that'll only make it worse. You did good, be proud x
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, if you're staying within your goal then you're doing fine. Some days can be better but at the heart of it, it's using more calories than you consume.
  • justicekenny
    Options
    Last nights a group of us went to Longhorn Steak house. If was my first time there.
    I ordered the crusty chicken and a Cesar salad, and a sweat potato.
    It is so hard to go out with a group and try to order. I didn't eat all my potato, and salad.
    I stayed in my calories for the day, but I still think I made the wrong choice.

cheer up buckaroo .. your fine .. calories in / calories out .. you were under for the day ..
  • red8424
    red8424 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    317c0fa4357363e6ba18eb1c41265b55.jpg
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    You stayed under your limit, so don't sweat it. If I know I am going out and where we're going, then I try and look up the menu online and plan ahead. If not, I just make the best choice I think I can and enjoy the meal.
  • wannatangle
    wannatangle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love Longhorn. I am sure they have a menu online. I am going out tonight and I have already gone and found the menu, decided what I am ordering, and have it logged. Now I know what I can or can't have for snacks ;)
  • iveyroze3
    Options
    eat half of it if it's something you want and take home the rest. Two meals. Portion sizes are large when we eat out and not to mention sodium. Don't be too hard on yourself. You should be able to eat some things on occassion and moderation. I have looked up their foods ad similar foods and seems steak,chicken are the healthiest. Ask for sauces,butter,ad dressings on the side. Sometimes a taste is all you need to not feel deprived. In short. You are ok,you stayed in calories. Don't deprive yourself all the time or you might get down wrong path. eg; binges,eating out of anxiety,boredom. You care about it I can tell.Just be accountable for what you eat ,write it dowm. It's always a learning experience.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    If you know where you are going to eat you can check out the menu online, a lot of restaurants have nutritional info available, and you'll be able to make a wise choice before you get there and are pressured to order .
    This!! I always check out the menu online. I pick out what I'm going to have before I even get there. Easy peasy!
  • skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    just plan ahead of time, for example its my 21st this Saturday and im going to be going out for a meal with the family on Friday and out with my friends on Saturday, so to compensate for the stupid amount of booze and food i will consume in those two nights im low carbing it for the next 4 days and increasing cardio, ive done this so many times and i know when i wake up on Sunday i wont have put on any weight, just remember you cant get fat over night :)
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If you're at a steakhouse I would go with a small steak, plain baked potato and two grilled or steamed veggies. Sirloin and filet mignon are good choices. Ask for the potato toppings on the side and you'll have a healthy, hearty dinner!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

I'm confused, you still stayed in your calorie limit and you're this worried about it?
  • Betty_Canada
    Betty_Canada Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I just get what I want.

I like ceasar salad, and most places will substitute out the potato for a salad if I ask, or bring a double serving of whatever veggies come with the meal, like green beans. If I leave the bun off, most sandwiches are not too hard on me (I'm very sensitive to blood sugar spikes and eat with that in mind).

But frankly, if what I *really* want is spaghetti and meatballs or the chicken pot pie, I order it. If at all possible, I ask for a lunch portion, since I have difficulty finishing most restaurants' huge dinner portions anyway.

Going out is a treat around my house, and we behave accordingly. :)

=Betty=
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I usually look up the nutrition info ahead of time if it's available, and since most restaurants serve huge portions, I divide the meal in half as soon as the plate is set in front of me, and I take half home for lunch the next day.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Write it off this time, and next time, PLAN AHEAD. Do what others have suggested and check the nutrition info online before you go. Since this "always" happens, write down what you decide to have, and don't even look at the menu when you get there. I can't help but suspect that if this is a pattern for you, it's a way of you sneaking in a meal you want when you know you can make better choices by saying, "Oh, I just can't help myself." Of course you can help yourself. Plan the most desirable meal that fits within your day's goals, and stick to your plan. If you know you really really want the bacon-encrusted deep-fried pork rinds with extra cheese sauce, plan your day's calories around it by having a smaller lunch and putting in a heavy workout. You can do it!
  • curejenn
    curejenn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Life is too short to worry about these kinds of things! It is one meal! You tracked it.. enjoyed it... now move on! Seriously, obsessing over these kinds of things is the start to failure. Because guilt leads to self worth issues and before you know it, you throw in the towel!