Does being a little blue motivate you?

Options
Not depressed just a little sad or down.

Replies

• jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It motivates me to go work my butt off. When I am down and out I always go for a walk or run, break a good sweat and I instantly feel better.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Sometimes knowing I'll feel better after working out does give me a little extra kick in the pants. I have on occasion been on the elliptical or lifting thinking "c'mon, serotonin, do your sh**!"
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Not at all. Completely and utterly not.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Not at all. Completely and utterly not.
    ^
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Complete opposite.

I found out that I am losing my two best friends by May. One is moving to London and the other to Brazil. Makes me want to just sit inside and mope all day. The absolute last thing I think of is working out.

I feel most motivated when things are good in my life and I can focus on me. Worries are distractions and not in a good way.
  • tinydancer4
    tinydancer4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately not - I tend to find it much more difficult to motivate myself when I'm feeling down.

However, I do find that if I can persuade myself to work out I feel a bit better afterwards.
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, feeling a bit blue doesn't motivate me for ish. My motivation comes from remembering who I was, and knowing I'm getting that person back.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Lot's of us here are emotional eaters, like me, and what I used to do (and am trying not to do anymore) is comfort myself with food. I know that if I work out it will make me feel much better. But knowing and doing are two different things. So if I can't bring myself to work out instead of eating, at least nowadays i try to make better choices about what I eat. That is working out pretty well for me.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't that be nice...
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Definitely!
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    no
  • cosmic0074
    cosmic0074 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Depends what I'm sad about. If I manage to force my bluesy *kitten* to work-out, I feel amazing afterward- but that is often temporary. However, if I'm feeling stressed or angry, it definitely motivates me!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    No. Makes me want to stay in bed.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    yeah...
    I'm the sort to hold in my emotions till I burst and go psycho
    but something about jogging and relieving so many emotions whether I'm happy and just need to kill the adrenaline
    stressed (exams/life/exams) each steps just washes all that stress out and by the time I'm back home again my heads clear.

Being blue (usually caused by long periods of stress(life) and anger(exams) = weak emotions) jogging clears my head and working out (usually circuit and strength training) until I feel sore and can barely make it up the stairs reminds me how strong I am and that I can decide to let life drown me or ****ing swim till my heart gives way (it's the whole sink or swim). I chose to swim till the end.

working out seems to work as well as therapy most the time now
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    yes 100%. if im upset or feeeling bad about myself i know that being healthy and working out will help make me feel better. Unfortunatly, its hard for me to stay motivated when im happy
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Yes, because I tend to look for distractions. Distraction = workout.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    It didn't always go this way but with a little practice, yes. I have chronic depression and am managing it MUCH better than I used to. Now as soon as I start to feel a little blue, off to the gym I go. I used to just sit and wallow for days, which of course only made things worse.

I think the turning point was when I couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong with my stomach. Every time I ate, I felt like I was going to puke. I figured out it was stress from an impending breakup when I started to work out and then the icky stomach went away immediately (and came back as soon as I went more than a day or two without).
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    not me. I just hang out with my dogs and they always cheer me up