Worked Butt off and Gained 1.5kg!!! HELP!!!

Options
Hello,

well its been my first week of full commitment to the Gym and MFP... and i've put on a 1.5kg gain.
I'm still learning the ways of calorie counting, so i did have a couple of days where i went over slightly... but all in all i think i did really good for my first week.... it can only get better from here is my thoughts...

But i just cant understand where i went wrong.... I know its only my first week, but any help i can get or tips i should follow would be greatly appreciated.

I'm concentrating on 40 mins of cardio at the gym at least 3-4 times a week and boot camp on saturday morning... and having breaky, lunch and dinner with occasional snacks of fruit... yesterday i had a blow out, i know, i'm accountable for it, so now monday is my new day and i'm going to kick butt.... just need some help along the way.. HELP!!

Replies

• neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    If you've only been at it for a week, what you are experiencing is definitely water weight. If your muscles are sore (and sometimes even if they're not...) they'll hold onto extra water while they recover. Also, if your splurge days included a lot of salt, this will also make you gain water weight.

The good news is that it's definitely not fat (you would need to have a surplus of roughly 500 calories per day for the entire week to gain just 1lb/0.5kg of fat). Water weight will go away...just make sure you stay hydrated (drinking enough water actually decreases water retention), and be patient - if you're new to regular intense workouts, it may take a couple of weeks to see real results.
  • kvanduzy
    Options
    Neuro is right. You didn't actually gain any weight. If you had an "off" day yesterday, then it's just water weight. Drink a bunch of water today, and you'll pee it all out. By tomorrow morning you should see some loss.
  • jacatkins
    jacatkins Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone... it just confused me as i worked my butt off but didnt' lose anything...
    I'm going to try and knuckle down on my food this week... dont eat too much bread/pasta etc and lots of vegies...

My muscles are sore.. i've found one's i forgot i had!! but i know they are sore cos what i been doing is working...

I'll see how i go this week :o)
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I wish there were big signs that said "If you don't gain weight in your first two weeks, you're doing it WRONG", lol. Congrats on your weight gain! It is almost certainly fluid building up in your body as a direct response to exercise. WAY TO GO!!!!
  • jacatkins
    jacatkins Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I wish there were big signs that said "If you don't gain weight in your first two weeks, you're doing it WRONG", lol. Congrats on your weight gain! It is almost certainly fluid building up in your body as a direct response to exercise. WAY TO GO!!!!

Hi vorgas.... thanks so much! guess since i'm not the only one going through this, i must be doing somethign right!! :o)
  • SharonMarie7
    SharonMarie7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    And don't be surprised if it takes a couple more weeks. This is exactly what happened to me. If you stick to your plan, you will lose weight. Even after a couple months the scale doesn't go down that much but the clothes size does. Muscle cells are denser than fat cells so they weigh more, but you look firmer and clothes fit better.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    1. Whenever you start or increase you work load, you will typically find that weight goes up with it. It has to do with glycogen levels in the muscles that cause water retention. It is not fat gain, nor does it mean you aren't losing fat. The scale is one of the least accurate ways of measuring progress..

2. the other issue I see here is you went overboard one day which could account for water retention for additional sodium/carb intake. It is temporary.

A great post on the issue
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/350212--why-scales-lie?hl=why+scales+lie

Keep going. Don't sweat the small stuff.