sore muscles retaining water?

Options
So I've been on MFP for over a year now, and I've gotten to the point that I can keep my calories down, and I'm losing weight, but I'm not always hitting my macros, and I definitely don't eat clean, and I wanted to get better about that.

So for the last week, I've been following a new meal plan, with all home-cooked, good foods. Mostly veggies, a little lean animal protein, getting some dairy in, very little sugar/processed carbs, enough fiber, etc. And it was going well. I was down 1.8 lb in 5 days.

I've also been adding in some workouts... and friday night I definitely overdid it. My muscles were screaming by the time I went to bed, and I could barely walk in the morning. (Still can barely walk, 36h later).

And this morning I was up 1.3 lb from yesterday.

I know I know, weight fluctuates day to day, and 1 week is too short a time to notice a difference, etc.

But generally I have an idea when my weight is going to be up in the morning- generally after a huge or high-sodium dinner, etc.

But I did none of that. The only thing I can think of is the workout.

And I've read on here about muscles retaining water to heal and recover-
but can it be that much? 1.3lb in 1-2 day? (the gain was sunday morning, after a friday night workout. Saturday morning was down .2)

Again I'm not going to let one day get me down, but I'm just wondering what you all think about this "muscles retaining water" theory. Could that really be it?

Thanks!!

Replies

• knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i'm no expert, but think this is definitely possible. i have experienced the same thing after heavy workouts too. as odd as it sounds, you need to drink more water to flush it out of your system.

good luck!
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    this happens to me frequently.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I know when I I really hit the workouts hard, to the point where I'm so sore I can't move much the next day or two, I'm definitely swollen and retaining fluid--especially in the muscle groups that have been worked the hardest. Try and increase you water intake.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    absolutely! even when you ARENT sore your muscles retain water from exercise and lifting weights. this is the bodys way of healing them. i always have about a pound of gain that stays with me for 2 days after lifting, even when i dont "feel sore".