Which scale do I believe?

Options
I wanted to compare the scale at my universities rec center and the scale I have in my dorm room to see if they're close. At the rec center it's a scale that's at the doctor's office where there are the 2 bars at the top. My scale is a glass top escali digital scale. After showering, using the restroom, drying my hair, eating a single fruit cup and putting my work out clothes I weighed 175.0lb (174 before clothes on) on my scale. the one at the rec said 174. Which one do I believe? Do I weigh 173 or 174 pounds?

Replies

• beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Those 2 scales are unbeliveably close!! When I started reading I thought you were going to end up with scales that were 10lbs apart!! And the answer in either case is - choose one and stick to that - it's not as if 1lb is a whole lot of difference anyway.

For the record, the scales with the bar where you move weights along a ruler is probably more "accurate" - but do you have access to the standard reference weight to check? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7084099.stm
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    You want consistency. Use the same scale under the same circumstances every week. For example: weigh yourself with whichever scale every Monday morning after the bathroom and before you eat. Go by that number. I find that digital vs mechanical vs dial scale can render quite different numbers.
  • soberhofer
    soberhofer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have three scales in the house each reporting a different weight. I use the one that gives the most consistent readout (meaning I can get on it 3 times in 5 minutes and it reports the same data each time). It happens this scale tends to report the highest weight.

The actual number isn't that important - it's the relative change since I started that is most important to me. As long as I use the same scale and measure at regular cadance (Wed and Sun nights before bed), I don't worry anymore.

P.S. I've put the other two scales in the closet since I realized my weight was at their upper limit of capacity. The one I use is an Escali Body Fat model (440lb limit versus the 300-325lb of the others).
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    They're so close, and since you didn't weight yourself at the exact same time, your weight can vary because of eating, drinking, whatever, so I would say they're probably about the same amount accurate. Personally I would go with the rec scale because it is a doctor type scale and it actually uses weights that you balance out so it's usually more accurate, whereas glass scales often become inaccurate. Either way it doesnt really matter too much, just a scale to go by and as long as you're going down on that scale it means you're losing weight
  • sarahgip
    Options
    I get weighed at the drs office every time i go to the drs, but I weigh myself 1ce a week at the ymca.. The dr office scale weighs me about 6 lbs more than the y scale. but since I use the y frequently I choose to stick to the y scale.
  • Sharkington
    Options
    A one pound difference is not bad at all - when I saw the title of this thread, I thought there would be like, a 5 pound difference, at least. :laugh: I have seen some crazy differences in scales in my time. Like another person mentioned, just pick a scale and stick to that one. One pound is nothing to worry over.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    16 oz does not a dilema make. Pick one and go with it. Neither of them are likely perfectly reliable, but you'll get a decent enough picture of where you are and where you're going to land. Good luck!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    If that doctor-type scale balances right in the middle at 0, then it's accurate. Some of them don't.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    The scale won't give you an exact measurement, regardless of which scale you use. You can use one scale and step on it 10 minutes apart and it can read anywhere from .2 to 1 lb difference than just 10 minutes earlier.

Use the scale for a general overall idea of how much you weigh. Gage your success not by the scale but by pictures, measurements, and how your clothes fit.

If you want to weigh all the time, that's fine, just don't put a lot of stock into the actual number...just use the scale to trend weight gain or lose, and only over time...not from one day to the next, but over the course of about a few weeks. If you have a new work out routine or changed eating habits, your body is going to usually gain during this change, and you may get discouraged if you only used the scale as a source of measurement.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    It is almost irrelevant so I would take the ones that are easiest to get to. If you want to be really picky, the chances are that the doctors are calibrated once a year, but for 1lb who cares?:smile:
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    who cares, pick one and stick with it.

^^this
  • StaceySuperfly
    StaceySuperfly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Just choose one and stick with it. If you want to check the if they are accurate set a 5 or 10 pound barbell on it :smokin:
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    The scale at my gym, the one with the 2 bars says I weigh 266-267 and at home digital scale 268/269/270/271 ~_~
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    just pick one and stick with it....
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    notsureifserious.jpg
  • amberlynnsinspired
    amberlynnsinspired Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Those are so close, so don;t even read into it. The scale at the gym says I weigh 180 pounds and I am 345, lol.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Pick the home one since you have access to it first thing in the AM. That's when you'll get the most consistent day-to-day measurement.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Whichever scale faces due north
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    who cares, pick one and stick with it.

Seconded.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Whichever scale faces due north

Please stop trolling. Everyone knows that direction makes no difference.

Use the one that's closer to sea level, because you're lighter as you get further from the pull of earth's gravity. NO SECOND FLOOR SCALES