"JANE! Stop this crazy thing !" How do I stop?

Options
I've been on the plan for 90 days and have been doing better than I ever expected. To date, I have officially lost 42 pounds. I've had a few minor plateaus but for the most part my weight loss has been steady. I'm 8 pounds from reaching my goal and I do not want to go past that point. I guess my question is ..How do I stop and maintain? I am hovering around 1500 calories a day now with fair to moderate exercise 2-4 times a week. Thanks in advance for any input. Karl

Replies

• nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Im sure someone has a scientific way to figure it out...but in my opinion....if one is going to continue with the exercise regime u have...one must increase cals. test it and add 100 cal at a time n watch your scale... before long you and your body will know how many cals to eat in maintainance
  • kwseneca
    Options
    First off CONGRATS! :)
    When you and your healthcare professional think you are at a healthy weight that you want to maintain, things get a lot easier.

Just eat more than you were when you were dieting. Maybe 1900-2000 calories a day to maintain. Stay active. Eat lots of good fats. If you feel healthy, I think it is officially time to up your calorie goal. Jealous!
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Your maintenance calories can be found by determining your TDEE as explained in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    Just remember that when using your TDEE for maintenance you do not eat your exercise calories like MFP suggests.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's nice to have a little cushion when you get to goal because most people can't hold right on a specific weight. I allow myself a 5 lb swing (2.5 above or below) before I get concerned. My method was to get to goal and then start adding a few calories back and just play around until I hit a place that I maintain at.