Low calorie fruits???

Options
So I am actually astounded at the calories of fruits and veggies such as bananas, apples, potatoes, etc.
I had a grilled potato with dinner last night figuring it'd be healthier than our typical packaged mashed potatoes- which it is.. but a tiny little potato packed 110 calories according to MFP. My banana this AM has 105, an apple has like, 80.. I am sure it's because of the sugars which are healthy sugars.. but in trying to meet my calorie goal and eating healthy it would be better to eat an 80 calorie yogurt!
Anyone have suggestions?? I love to eat healthy and am really trying but I am having a tough time meeting calorie goals even when eating fresh fruits and veggies.
I can't just eat salad for every meal.. that'll get booooooring! On that note, any suggestions of super low calorie dressings for salads?

Replies

• Atomaszewski
    Options
    Hello,
    Strawberries are a good alternative and you can even add them to your salad a whole cup sliced has only 53 calories!

Strawberries
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 cup, sliced (166g)

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 53Calories from Fat 4

% Daily Value*
    Total Fat 0.5g1%
    Saturated Fat 0g0%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.3g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.1g
    Cholesterol 0mg0%
    Sodium 1.7mg0%
    Potassium 254mg7%
    Total Carbohydrate 12.7g4%
    Dietary Fiber 3.3g1%
    Sugars 7.7g3%
    Protein 1.1g2%

Vitamin A 0% • Vitamin C 163%

Calcium 3% • Iron 4%
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    On that note, any suggestions of super low calorie dressings for salads?

Lemon juice
    you can use balsamic vinegar, and garlic powder
    red wine vinegar and garlic powder
    You can add olive oil to the above dressings but then no longer low cal.
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    I was about to start a new thread about this but you beat me to it!

Mine was sugar; My daily sugar limit is 21 but a couple of apples and I've pretty much hit it. I was also wondering if I can ignore it because it is fruit or start limiting my fruit to just one or two a day?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Low cal fruits:

Melon (watermelon, canteloupe, honeydew)
    Berries (Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries)
    Citrus (oranges, clementines, grapefruit)

Bananas, grapes, apples, and pears tend to be the higher cal fruits. But I mean really at 100 cals or less I wouldn't exactly say you need to avoid them!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Although grabbing a piece a fruit as a snack instead of a bag of chips or a candy bar is a much wiser choice, fruit does have a lot of sugars (good carbs and sugar). But me personally, I stick to have no more than 2 servings per day. Also in talking with a Nutritionist, I was advised to have some protein along with that piece of fruit. Peanut butter with the banana and cheese with an apple usually. It's not fancy, but it is a quick snack to grab and is very portable.
  • thuelskamp
    thuelskamp Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For a low cal dressing, I like Kraft Fat Free Zesty Italian. It's 15 calories for 2 tbsp.
  • PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    On that note, any suggestions of super low calorie dressings for salads?

Lemon juice
    you can use balsamic vinegar, and garlic powder
    red wine vinegar and garlic powder
    You can add olive oil to the above dressings but then no longer low cal.

I typically get balsamic @ restaurants. I have a bottle in my pantry already =:) Should I add water to it or anything- or just have it the way it is???

And- ohhh.. I love zesty italian! Thanks!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Don't forget peaches and nectarines! It is only 30-40 calories for a medium peach.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I did not gain over 45 pounds by eating too much fruit! And I did lose 45 pounds by adding more fruit and less garbage into my diet.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Don't forget peaches and nectarines! It is only 30-40 calories for a medium peach.

good call! mmmm peaches :smooched: