Cardio AND Weight Training? Or just Cardio?!

Options
Hi there,

A little background - I have about 50-60lbs to lose. I've been doing the elliptical for 30-45 min 4x a week. I've also been doing some arms workouts and lunges.

My issue: I haven't lost anything in over a week. I've stayed the same. Some may say i've gained muscle and in fact, lost fat.

Should I be focusing on just cardio at this point? Or mixing cardio and weight training? My main goal is to lose that weight.

My boyfriend says I should be just doing cardio. However, I've heard that adding in weight training can actually boost your metabolism and burn more fat.

What should I be doing?!

Thank you!
- Amanda

Replies

• julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I find I lose fat a lot faster by doing both strength training and cardio so I recommend it. I also don't suggest you worry too much on the scale but take your measurements as well. I lose inches while the scale doesn't move a whole lot but as long as I am losing fat that is all I care about.
  • fight_for_fit
    Options
    Muscle is active tissue. So You continue to burn fat after the workout.
    With Cardio, you are only losing fat.
    I suggest doing a mixture of both cardio and weight training.
    You will look and feel much better with both than just cardio.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I believe that the Fact that I did Strength AND Cardio ( Curves Circuit) right from Day One is why I don't have much of an issue with Loose Skin. I do have some, of course, but Not Nearly to the extent that I have seen with others who have lost a similar amount of Weight. Plus, as someone else mentioned, Building Muscles allows you to Burn More Calories AFTER Your Workout, thus making Maintenance (a LITTLE!!) easier.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I find I lose fat a lot faster by doing both strength training and cardio so I recommend it. I also don't suggest you worry too much on the scale but take your measurements as well. I lose inches while the scale doesn't move a whole lot but as long as I am losing fat that is all I care about.

This. I am a runner, I like cardio, but I have found that my success involves both cardio and strength training.

The scale is only one part of the picture. It is not always the best measurement of progress. Focus on how you look, measurements or photos.

There are a ton of benefits to weight lifting. I'll never say no cardio, but I do see a huge value in strength training. Go for it.

ETA - I have done cardio alone, then a combo. I have had far more success with a combo.
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Both. You will preserve your body composition in the long run while losing weight.
  • derekdarling
    Options
    It's not just that strength training allows you to burn more calories after, you will burn more during your workout as well. The idea is that you need energy to fuel the muscles. The more muscle you have, the more fuel you will need to burn. Not only that, but I would also highly recommend strength training as a way to prevent injury in your cardio routine. Stronger muscles and joints that you will get from strength training will help make that cardio more effective. Know what else? Strength training burns calories like crazy! I know a ton of ripped folks that have given up the cardio altogether. I am not a proponent of that, but it can be done.
  • cbteegardin
    cbteegardin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Your goal is to lose body fat. When you lose weight, your body will catabolize protein (muscle) as well as fat. You do lose muscle with weight loss. You want to do enough strength training to at least maintain your existing muscle. Muscle also retains fluid. When you work out, muscles actually become inflamed and retains a lot more fluid. You aren't seeing a weight gain from muscle or fat, but from fluid retention. A 2-4 lb fluctuation in weight in a day isn't unusual (8 cups of water is 4 lbs. - not crazy to think tissue is holding onto some of that at the end of a day). Salt and sugar also retain fluid in the body (think how thirsty you are after eating pizza, for instance).

Simple fact is one pound of fat is about 3500 kcal. To actually gain or lose a pound of fat in a day (or 5-10 lbs of fat in a week) doesn't happen unless you are running a marathon each day.

You don't have to do a lot of strength training, but you want to do something.
  • amandanilo
    amandanilo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! That was a big help. :)
  • jincurry89
    Options
    Strength training by FAR. Cardio's point is to condition you for endurance, really. If you only do cardio, you'll lose some weight, but as well as the fat that you'll lose, you'll also lose muscle since you're not working to maintain it! That's not good, because the more muscle you have, the more calories and fat your body needs to burn just to keep functioning.

Strength training will work out your muscles as well as burn off a lot of fat. It's also best to do high interval workouts. As in, don't do a high quantity of a not so strenuous or low-weight exercise type thinking that's best. The best thing to do is less quantity of a more strenuous or high weight exercise. You can google high interval workouts and find one that works for you.

It's good to split your time between cardio and strength training so you get the benefits of both work-out types. If you have only time for one type, make it strength training. Also make sure you eat ALL the necessary calories and work out calories. If you don't, your body will go into preservation mode and try to convert what you do eat into fat stores. Also, eat tons of protein! I've been recommended far above what MyFitnessPal recommends (100g vs 50g). Protein rebuilds your muscles after strength training and it takes more calories to burn a gram of protein than for fat or carbs.

I really don't know why your boyfriend thinks you should do just cardio. I guess that's just misinformation on his part..?
  • PennStan
    PennStan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Trainer at my gym said to do more strength than cardio. I went from 6 days a week cardio to 2 strength/4 cardio to 3 strength/3 cardio. On the strength days I do about 40 minutes strength followed by 30 minutes cardio. Cardio only days are 60 minutes. Working well for me and I can feel a difference since adding more strength.
  • QueenChacon
    Options
    I agree with all the other posters. I have found I lose inches faster doing cardio and strength training. I am in the process of upping my strength training.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    As others have said. Don't fret the scale. I sat at nearly the same weight for an entire year. But I lost 4 inches in the waist, 3 in the hips and 2 in the chest.

I have I like cardio more than strength training (note you can do a strength training routine that is more aligned with cardio rather than trying to build muscle mass), but I also know the two really go together. Now that I have reached my maintenance weight I have cut back the cardio and increased the strength training. Weight has remained the same but inches still coming off in the waist and tightening/defining some muscles I've missed.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I lost way more while doing weights. I tried insanity and it was awesome but I didn't lose that much plus felt flabby. I feel more toned with weights. Feel free to look at my photos. The first 2 after my before photo was with Julian Michaels body revolution which is 4 days weight with interval training and two days cardio. Last photo is from insanity. Good luck!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the boyfriend; plenty of benefits by doing both.