running help

Options
I just started training for a half-marathon. I was a runner in high school; however, it's been a few years since I ran consistently . My back has been KILLING me since I started back running. It is also really tight when I'm running. What am I doing wrong? Anyone else? Suggestions?

Replies

• runningbs
    runningbs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Are you "over-arching"? That actually sounds serious, I would call a doctor!
  • agottula
    agottula Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Is it your lower back or upper? My guesses are either that you are tensing while you run, try focus on really relaxing your shoulders and don't hold anything in your hands. If its really the lower back it could be your shoes. Have you gone to a special running shoe store? Other than that, your back or abs could be weak and you may need to do more core work mixed in with your running. Just my thoughts :)
  • ptcarp
    Options
    HI,
    I had a few aches and pains when I recommenced running. Go and visit a physiotherapist , mine taught me lots of stretches and exercises to help. Also some gym work will help too. You may need to strengthen your core muscles a little. (I know I do!)
    Good luck, I ran my first half last year and training now for the whole 42.2km!.
    Pabs.
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    You may need new shoes, especially if you are just taking up running again. I can tell when my shoes are wearing out, my knees start to hurt but if you look at them, they look ok. It's the stuff on the inside that suffers the wear and tear.

The other thing is how far are your going. If you are just starting back going out and running for even 2-3 miles can be very hard on your body and be setting yourself up for injury. I would recommend a C25K program, that way you can get back into it and also not risk injuring yourself