Workout question

Options
Why do some individuals wait for 1 minuted in between sets at the gym? It makes more sense to me to keep going fast to keep your heart rate up. Whats the logic in it?

Replies

• 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Depends on the lifts I am doing...if I am lifting heavy (70-75% of Max), there is no way to jump back into another set without allowing the muscles a little recovery time. To be effective, I take a minute, sometimes two depending on the activity.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting heavy, you are depleting the oxygen in your blood, so "cardio" wouldn't be "cardio", anyway.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. Back in the 80's when I first started lifting, no rest between sets was all the rage and it's where this notion of "circuit training" came from. It was thought to be a replacement for cardio cause we all knew cardio was from the devil. Now a days, we've finally figured out that there are certain rest periods that can help facilitate maximal gains. For example, if you're trying to gain strength, a longer rest period on the order of 3 minutes or more between sets is optimal to allow phosphagen to replenish in your system. Doing so will allow you to lift more weight, thus ultimately helping you gain more strength. Alternately, if you're trying to get BIG, a shorter 1-2 minute rest is more ideal because this rest period has been shown to allow for the maximum release of anabolic hormones.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Because when I lift, I lift heavy meaning my muscles need a little recovery time for the next intense set and my gym isn't Curves. :)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    When I'm lifting, I take 10 seconds to rest between sets. My heart rate doesn't fall.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Depends on the lifts I am doing...if I am lifting heavy (70-75% of Max), there is no way to jump back into another set without allowing the muscles a little recovery time. To be effective, I take a minute, sometimes two depending on the activity.

This.
    Strength training is not cardio. They are very different.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I do slow, controlled lifts or exercises with weights or weight machines, and the heavier I lift, the more time I need to recover. There are definitely cardio benefits to strength training, but I don't lift for cardio. I get my cardio on the elliptical, treadmill, or on the trail.