How do you stay on track?

Options
I did pretty good for 3 weeks straight... Now I can't seem to control myself.

What are some tips you guys have to stay on track?

Replies

• CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I look at the weight I've lost so far, think about the hard work I've put in, think about where I want to end up and remind myself that not controlling myself is what put me in this situation in the first place.

You can always control yourself. You just have to really want to control yourself. I REALLY want to get to my UGW.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The only thing I do to stay on track is log on to MFP and track my food and exercise every day. I have easier short-term and more challenging long-term goals that I set along the way to keep me motivated. I've been on maintenance for years now, but I still set goals to keep me motivated and on track. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • VersusTheMoose
    Options
    Just ask yourself is that extra piece of X worth not setting your goals in the long-term?
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It might be hormones. Some people crave right before Aunt Flo, some right after. Some two weeks before she's even due to arrive. I find something to block it. Coffee helps, for me. Doing something to keep myself busy helps, as well.
  • CassiHutchings
    CassiHutchings Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've lost control many times in my journey. But nowadays I think about how long i will have to work out to burn off that thing I want to eat, and it helps. I also have one day a week with an indulgence ! Having that one indulgence a week is something to look forward to, and it makes me feel good when I keep with the program all week.

I also don't deny myself the things that I love. I really love Chick-Fil-A, and I will either have it for my indulgence sometimes, or have it on a normal day but make sure I pre-log how much I can have. It's not like I go there often, but it's nice knowing if I plan in advance then I can go if I want. It's been working for me, I don't completely cut out everything that I love, so then I don't get tired of not having my favorite stuff and give up completely. :)

If you want to eat some chocolate, eat it, just don't eat the entire bar, or 5 bars. lol. Just eat a few pieces and spread it throughout the day!

Hope this helps!!!

"Eat to live, don't live to eat" - Bethany Frankel
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...You can always control yourself. You just have to really want to control yourself...

This, too! You have to know your priorities. What do you want more - your old lifestyle or a healthy new one? Look at your reasons for wanting to do this. It's only going to stick if it's really what you want and you're really ready to do it!

P.S. It's TOTALLY worth it! You can do this!
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I tell myself it's about what you do most of the time. No one is perfect, nothing is perfect. I can't expect perfection every single day. Sometimes there are bad days, where the problem lies is when you let bad days become bad weeks, bad months. Bad days happen, but if you do what you're supposed to the majority of the time, ie get back on track, you'll still see results. One bad day every so often will not derail everything you've worked for, eating bad for two weeks can, etc.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    i think i am ready this time. my goal is to look nice on my hols this year. it Helps to have a goal to focus on. so when u feel like quitting u remember why u are doing this. dont give up
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Well lets see. I'm not under-eating so I am not hungry. So I'm not tempted to go hunting around for food after dinner, and if I do have dessert it is planned.

I have my goals written down and am making myself a priority.

I listen to health podcasts every day, and use MFP every day to log my food and exercise.

I joined the gym and scheduled my workouts into my diary. I go.

I plan the week ahead in advance. Food, exercise, sleep, everything.

I pack my lunch to take to work, and snacks, the night before.

I have reminders in my phone that go off with my goal statement and I read it every day.

I do not wear anything with an elastic waist.. Except work out gear.

I bought a HRM to wear to the gym, just so I can see how I am improving.

I am cooking most of my own food now, and if my grandmother wouldn't know what it was, I don't eat it.

I follow my plan most of the time, but if I slip up, I forgive myself and move on.

I know this is for the long term, and even if I would like to lose 20kg in 3 months, I know it's more than likely going to take 9. And that is ok.

So... My advice... Come up with your own rules, make a plan and stick to it.

Good luck!!
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Log everything. Even when you binge and go over. It'll give you an idea of what you're doing. I have MFP on my laptop, my iPhone and my computer at work. I'm never without it so I have no excuse. Best of luck!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    So... My advice... Come up with your own rules, make a plan and stick to it.

Good luck!!

I love your rules. Makes me feel less weird to see someone else write out some of their rules/goals.

To the OP, I'm not on track every single day and moving forward, I admit it. But I think of it more like getting out of a hole you've dug for yourself.

My best advice to myself is once you realize you're in a hole, stop digging. You might not yet know how to get out, maybe you can scramble out, maybe climb a rope. But if you find yourself continuing to dig that hole, just stop digging and making it worse. For me, just maintaining IS a victory to be proud of. Once I'm not panicked anymore about digging myself in deeper, then I can think logically and apply my rules/techniques that I know are tried and true results-getters for me.

Every day, every meal is a CHOICE. If I've gone over my limits for 1 meal or 1 week, I just focus on the next meal, the next day, the next snack, the next week. I start by making mini goals again, achieving them. Then work back up the positive momentum to making bigger goals.