Under calories, help!

Options
I just recently started using my fitness pal and when I entered in my first day's worth of food it said I should be eating 1500 per day, but only ate 800! I don't want to resort to unhealthy foods to get the calories I need and have a hard time finding good for you snacks that I can feel okay about munching on during the day. When I feel hungry, I eat but usually one meal feels as though it sustains me good enough that I don't feel hungry in between. How to I get these extra calories and why am I feeling full all day on 800 even though 1500 is recommended!

Replies

• Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Eat smaller meals. Stop eating when you start too feel satisfied, throw out the rest or save it for an hour or two when ur hungry again. Have almonds, greek yogurt, string cheese, apples, clementines. Choose foods that you can can hold in the palm of your hand. Fiber One bars with protein.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Look at the foods you are eating. Are they:
    1)Actual meals or snacks.
    2)Fat-free; Low-sugar; Low-carb.

People often think they have to get rid of everything that would be considered calorie-dense and end up drastically cutting their caloric intake to unhealthy and unsustainable levels. Eating "clean" shouldn't force you to eat like a rabbit. There are tons of foods ,such as avocados, that are high in calories yet are nutrient-dense.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Only logging one day may not really be representative of the whole. I definitely have days that I'm just not that hungry or I only want veggies and I end up logging 600 cal that day. The reason I don't worry about that is because there is bound to be another day that week (maybe a day or so after that) when I am starving and don't want to put down the food. They average out (IMO). I would track for a week or so and see how things look at the end of the week. Then start upping your intake slowly (a hundred or two hundred calories at a time) if that's what you need to do (it will be easier to tackle in smaller increments or you may find that they end up averaging out. [Totally just my opinion]