Anyone else having issues with time????

Options
I know that it is about making it a priority to get to the gym and work out... I try to go after work 4-5 days a week (or weekends) or have thought about walking to and from work in the mornings once winter is over... and have considered doign some areobics in the morning before work but find it soooo challenging just to even get out of bed. What works BEST for me is the gym...

I work 40 hours a week and am trying to maintain friendships and a relationship with spare time. I also attend counselling Wednesday evenings and have work committments on Thursday evenings. Plus one other evening of the week I need to go and do laundry at laundromat. Not to mention find time to clean house, get groceries, etc. Typical life, ya know?

I just find it challenging to ALSO squeeze the gym in without feeling tired or overwhelmed or like I am not making enough time for other areas of my life. It is all about balance... that is why I wanted to start trying to incorporate movement in other ways and times of my day.

I was just wondering if anyone else finds it challenging to juggle everything and if you have any tips? I do it all regardless, so I do not want a lecture. I just find it is hard mentally because I am always rushing and am finding I have no time to just relax anymore.

Replies

• tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yes. I wish I had lots more mainly to sleep. Sometimes I walk on my lunch hour. I sleep less. That Sucks. I constantly walk around at work. And take stairs. Park far from entrance. Walk while at laundromat. Good luck
  • Corkline
    Corkline Posts: 107
    Options
    Try hitting the gym enroute. Pack your bag, and go on the way home from work, or at lunch. Depending on your job and workplace, calensthetics at your desk aren't unthinkable. I do squats on the phone and dips off my desk...
  • DemonicWombat
    DemonicWombat Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Time is difficult, we lead such busy lives that it seems we have to schedule in everything. some simple things you can do (Depending on how shy you are.) While waiting for Laundry you could jog around the laundromat, or use Dynamic resistance while folding the clothes.

Doing a few push ups first thing out of bed helps me focus and get the blood flowing so I don't feel sluggish in the morning.

Always take the stairs and walk briskly when you have to walk more than a few yards (don't run just step lively :) )

Hope at least one of those helps.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    If you're just misery looking for company, then yes. I have issues with time. I know when I first started to get healthier, I resented the hell out of the time it took to work out.

This is a little harsh since you said you didn't want a lecture, but it might be worth a read: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/26/priorities/

There are also lots of workouts that don't require a gym. I'm a big fan of bodyweight exercises and kettlebells. I feel like not having to actually go to a facility saves me a lot of time.
  • mantarayEM
    Options
    Yes, Yes, Yes!! I'm single in a small town, and that equates to filling up almost every second of my time with something. I have something just about every evening and don't forget work, too. I also have a second job doing consulting work, which usually gets done at night or on the weekends. My dog is feeling neglected these days!

I am sympathetic to your issue........the only thing that keeps me going is to remind myself of how great I feel after a good workout, whether its at the gym or just a jog around the neighborhood with the dog. And every once in a while, I will take a break when I feel like that's what I want --- and I don't feel guilty about it. Structure and schedules are useful, but most times my other obligations don't mesh with a schedule. So you have to just fit some workouts in when you can, even if you only have 10 minutes.

good luck...........
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym but do at least an hour exercise a day... I do a short workout to a video in the morning before breakfast (average 20 mins), same again when I get home (before bath/change and cooking dinner) and walk for about 20-25 mins lunchtime (weather permitting). I also walk too and from work (15 mins each way). My husband works shifts and we still have one boy at home with homework to do, so going to a gym in the evening is not always practical - and I'm too tired to think about the 20 min each way walk if hubby has the car. An occasional DVD is a lot cheaper than gym membership, and I don't invest in fancy gym kit as no-one is looking at me.

Breaking it down into sections means I can fit in a surprising amount. And at weekends (again weather permitting) I take a longer walk with my husband - 45 mins to an hour - which gives me some extra calories for Sunday lunch:happy:
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I work 40, most weeks 56. I go to school full time for architecture. I leave the house at 6am every day, and most days I get home around 9:30-10. I have 2 hours between when I leave work and when my first class starts, I get in about a 45-65 min work out there. It sucks but I have made commitments to work, school and fitness.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    When I was working, I had a routine, and I say you have one as well. I made Monday and Wednesday's my gym days (I worked retail, Wednesday was a day off, and Monday I worked the am shift). I'd squeeze in a third day when I felt like it, but why don't do you do two gym days then do something at home for 1-2 days? If you have a slow cooker, use it on your workout days. Meal planning will help save some time (like unnecessary trips to the grocery store).

For me, I only workout 3 times a week (currently a stay at home Mom, but this isn't permanent ). I usually do Mon, Wed, Friday afternoons during naptime. I know I'd only have time to workout 3 days a week while working (I know others would beg to differ, but this is working for me as a lifestyle change) so that's why I'm only doing 3.
    I hope some of this has helped. And when I worked, I easily work 50 hours a week and still got to the gym.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Sleep faster
  • OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    When I miss a workout, I watch/do the 30 day shred video on youtube and call it good... it's not ideal, but it's something. If nothing else, get out and run around the block a few times-- takes 15 minutes and gets your heart going.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I also work 40 hrs a week in addition to 2 part time jobs, a boyfriend, laundry, grocery shopping, cooking, friends to keep in touch with, a dance class etc. It sucks feeling like every second of the day is scheduled. I manage to go to the gym 2-3 days a week. Ideally I would work out 5-6 days a week but it's just not a possibility right now. Try walking more, as long as it's not too cold, bundle up and walk to work now...you will probably be more awake when you get there. Maybe try incorporating exercise at night while you're watching tv, see if you can hold a plank for 1-2 commercials, do push-ups, use free weights, whatever you have etc. Also, see if your friends would be intereseted in taking a yoga class or a walk with you so you can catch up and work out at the same time.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Yeah it can certainly be difficult, I just have to committ to it and decide that I am worth spending my time on getting me fit and healthy.

I work 37 hours and spend about 10 hours a week commuting. Two young kiddies, a husband and a house take up much of my free time. My only option is sleep less. I get up at 5am to workout before I get the kids up and get them ready. I also walk on my lunch break, only about 35 mins of walking but I do it every day so it all adds up.

It's not easy when you have a busy life, but it is do-able.
  • jesslintch
    jesslintch Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have felt exactly the same way SO often. Teaching takes so much of my time. I am also the mother of a very active toddler. My husband stays at home and I feel like I need to go home right after work to "relieve" him. Then there is class, family obligations, taking care of the house . . . I get you.

I read a comment from someone that really made an impact on me. If I had a serious disease, such as cancer, I would force myself to take the time for treatment. Being overweight can be just as deadly. Just because I put myself in this situation with previous bad decisions doesn't mean I don't need to treat it with the same seriousness.

I set time to work out the same three times each week. For me it is a class at the gym Tuesday at 5:30 and then my own workout at the gym right after work on Wednesday and Thursday. If I make it other days, that's a bonus. But those three times are non-negotiable. And, because it stays the same from week to week, it makes it easier to build the rest of my week around it. My husband doesn't have to ask which nights I'm going to be home later. My parents know that if they invite us to dinner one of those nights, it is going to be later.
  • beckyb1031
    Options
    I am right there with you! Full time work and having to pick my son up from work to bring him home then not wanting to drive the 20 minutes back to the gym. If I could go to the gym right after work without driving him home first then it would work perfectly because the gym is less than a mile from my office. Can't wait till my son gets a car and a license so I can have a bit more freedom. I try to be flexible so now I go to gym the one day I don't have to pick him up and workout at home other days. We're supposed to be having some warmer weather this week so hopefully I will get outside and walk after I get home!
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    Great ideas guys!. Walking to and from work is not something I am willing to do while it is -20 and snowy and icy, though. But, in the spring I am def going to start doing this more. I do not have time to watch TV, otherwise I would just do some activity while watching it, like someone mentioned. This is part of my issue... I lack time even for just relaxing. It would be nice to stick to a schedule but making time for other people (friends and boyfriend) depends on their schedules as well, so it varies each week.

It is definitely tricky. Looks like I will have to plan my weeks as they come... and start getting up earlier and doing some areobics or something on top of my workouts.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Our schedules sound pretty similar. I have two methods to get exercise in. The first is to choose an activity that is very intense, but doesn't require a lot of time (for example, martial arts class). The second is to walk everywhere I can. I usually burn 3,000-3,500 calories a week this way.
  • nefbaker
    Options
    It is a matter of priorities. I'm the editor of the local newspaper. I'm a volunteer EMT. I mentor two teenagers. I teach dog obedience. I'm a member of the Relay for Life Committee and with the local library. I'm training for a duathalon, a half marathon and a marathon this year, as well as help organize and promote an obstacle course run.

On one hand, I own a dog and fish. That is the extent of my caretaking responsibilities at home. I also miss a lot of pop culture references. I don't have a clue what "The Big Bang Theory" is all about.

I don't belong to a gym. I get my workouts doing Zumba with friends, walking and jogging the dog, and I own a treadmill and a recumbent bike, and the hospital I volunteer as an emt for has a weight room I can use when I'm on call.