Help! I'm Sick!

Options
How do you work out when sick? I have a bad cold (achey, sore throat, throat running) and would rather not stop completely, but I also don't want to get worse.

Anyone have advice?

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Rest...I'm the same at the moment and your body needs rest to recover.
  • ajfc1971
    ajfc1971 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    you can't as you will just go further down hill. Give it a rest for a few days until you start feeling better then go back slowly. This may seem like a pain but it is better in the long run. Hope you get better soon.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Rest, or you will make yourself more ill. Then you'll definitely be out of action for longer!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Rest. But if you really can't, try to find a chair-based workout (there's one of Rosemary Conley's 7-day slim down). They're generally designed for older or pregnant poeple, so will stretch and work muscles without getting you sweaty.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    A good workout sometimes knocks out a mild sickness for me. How to do it? I just suck it up and do my best. Once my heart gets going, often I find my head clears and I feel better. HOWEVER, I never overdo it. If I start working out when a little ill, and I feel WORSE, then I stop immediately. I don't exercise when I have a fever, tho.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Rest and eat right.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Rest. And for faster recovery, eat at maintenance until you're feeling better. A calorie deficit adds stress to your body.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    To be honest... i like to work out when I'm sick...I actually feel MUCH better after...but that's just me.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    As others have advised, just rest, sit on the sofa, watch TV and once feeling better get back on track
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    To be honest... i like to work out when I'm sick...I actually feel MUCH better after...but that's just me.

If you're REALLY sick..you're not physically able to work out.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

It's only a bad cold....not Pneumonia....which I've had..that week I didn't work out LOL.
  • leotardbanshee
    leotardbanshee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    rest rest rest! and hydrate! and if you can't stand not working out, go for a walk, a light walk and enjoy the fresh air. i hope you feel better soon!
  • Fozzi43
    Options

It's only a bad cold....not Pneumonia....which I've had..that week I didn't work out LOL.

Ok:bigsmile:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Rest.

I've been sick for a week and attempted to work out this morning. Just walk - slowly - on the treadmill. My plan was 30 minutes. I made it 15 before almost vomiting onto the machine.

Lesson learned: Better to rest. Wasn't worth the nausea. Not at ALL.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to just rest and relax until you get better just go for a small walk. Don't go quickly, just go out for a walk. Unless I have full body aches or feel sick to my stomach that's what I do when I am sick. I find exercising while sick makes me get better quicker... but I can't do anything intense or I'm coughing up a lung.
  • katnord
    katnord Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It depends on how sick you are and what kind. If you have a head cold and still feel like working out, then go for it. I still run and walk for exercise through head colds, and it even makes me feel less miserable. If you are still functioning well, and thinking about working out, you probably can. It's not the time to push yourself very hard, and make sure you still get lots of sleep!

Also, I've heard you should never try to work out if you have a fever or a stomach flu, which sounds like good advice to me.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    REST! You body will let you know when you're good to go again.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    If it's just a cold, I say up your calories a little bit, and continue to exercise. Colds can take a long time to get over, and I can't justify being out of the gym for upwards of two weeks until it's completely gone. I've always continued to exercise while having a cold, just dialed back on the intensity, and I've found it helps me feel better and sleep better.

If it's the flu, rest and stay out of the gym until your fever is gone. And then get back into it SLOWLY. Too much too soon can cause you to relapse.
  • voicewithin3
    Options
    I once had a doctor tell me if it's above the neck work out, if it's below the neck stay home.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Rest like everyone has said. I'm currently in the same position but add in a fuzzy head as well and I'm still cycling, purely as means to get to work.