Cabbage (H*E*L*P)

allykat8
allykat8 Posts: 237
edited September 20 in Recipes
I absolutely love love love cabbage - like you get at a restraunt! I guess it is steamed or boiled, but I have no idea how to cook it.

Does anyone have a good recipe for cooking cabbage?? PLEASE SHARE :)

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Here's my fave cabbage dinner recipe:

3lbs boneless/skinless chix breast. Cut in strips, toss in a big pan, medium heat. Sautee with several squirts of free italian salad dressing, 'til (about) cooked.

Chop a head of cabbage to bite size, toss into pot with more dressing, stir to combine, reduce heat. Cover.

Simmer 20 mins, tossing/stirring occasionally. Do not overcook, I like my cabbage a little firmer.

Eat. It's light, filling & good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cabbage is way easy, just boil or steam. If you boil it do death it turns to mush but still tastes Ok. Careful the next day, it gives some folks (Ok, me) gas. :laugh:
  • You can wrap it up and alum foil w/ 1/4 cup of water, as much butter as u would like to use, a little pepper and galic salt then cook on 350 for 2-3hrs... make sure its wrapped tight to keep the juices in. Also I add bacon on top for flavoring. Its amazing
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    I don't get how you put 1/4 of a cup of water in with the cabbage? Is the cabbage chopped? Or is it just the entire head of cabbage wrapped in foil?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    for me (personally) I just boil it. Well, I mean, my fam is Irish so we used to boil everything, but yeah, boil it with carrots, onions, and a ham bone (course we cooked the whole shoulder in there, but if you didn't want a ham, then just boil the bone for flavor). Note though, this pretty much destroys almost all of the vitamins (a really large portion of them at least). Which is why I almost never boil any food (besides rice and pasta) anymore.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Big corned beef brisket, boil 2 hours. Last 20 minutes dump in cabbage & taters. Mmmmm,,, twice a month at least.
  • jeaniej
    jeaniej Posts: 1
    I TOO LOVE CABBAGE, I TAKE IT, CUT IT UP , COVER WITH WATER, ADD SALT, A LITTLE RED PEPPER SEEDS, COVER AND LET IT COOK ABOUT 20 MINUTES OR A LITTLE LONGER, DEPENDS ON SIZE OF HEAD, DRAIN , SPRAY SOME I CANT BELIEVE ITS NOT BUTTER (NO CALORIES) AND ENJOY. SOMETIMES FOR A COMPLETE MEAL I ADD A CAN OF CORNED BEEF. AND FOR A LITTLE MORE FLAVOR IF YOU LIKE , ADD SOME CHOPPED GREEN PEPPERS BEFORE YOU COOK THE CABBAGE.
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Hey SHBoss, I keep meaning to tell you the names of my cats:

Whitey
    Mickey
    Polley
    Yogi
    Buckey
    Joey
    Louie

All I need now is a DH!
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Bad recipe-
    1/2 lb bacon chopped added to a heavy pot and cooked over medium high heat. Chop an onion and add it to the cooking bacon. Shred a head of cabbage (or chop) and add to the pot after the onion has been cooked. Using tongs toss the cabbage, bacon, onion together to coat with bacon grease, turn down heat and cover. Add a splash of squid sauce (anchovy sauce) if you like (Thai version) Stir or toss the cabbage mixture every few minutes until it is tender.

I've made it without the bacon using olive oil and it's still pretty good.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    CABBAGE FAT BURNING SOUP (allrecipes.com)
    * 5 carrots, chopped
    * 3 onions, chopped
    * 2 (16 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, with liquid
    * 1 large head cabbage, chopped
    * 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
    * 1 (15 ounce) can cut green beans, drained
    * 2 quarts tomato juice
    * 2 green bell peppers, diced
    * 10 stalks celery, chopped
    * 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth

Directions

1. Place carrots, onions, tomatoes, cabbage, green beans, peppers, and celery in a large pot. Add onion soup mix, tomato juice, beef broth, and enough water to cover vegetables. Simmer until vegetables are tender. May be stored in the refrigerator for several days.

Love this stuff - just made today to have on hand. I add a bit of hot sauce and garlic for spice.

Amount Per Serving Calories: 90 | Total Fat: 0.5g | Cholesterol: 0mg
  • Sweet and Sour cabbage
    Try throwing some chopped cabbage in a frying pan with just a drop of olive oil or even some no fat cooking spray. Stir fy it and at the end mix in some sweet and sour sauce.
    mmmm...delicious!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    I shred/cut the whole cabbage - sautee with 1 or 2 Tbsp olive oil...if it starts to dry out, add 1/4 cup OR LESS of water. salt and pepper - I cook til good and brown

also love it boiled
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Hey SHBoss, I keep meaning to tell you the names of my cats:

Whitey
    Mickey
    Polley
    Yogi
    Buckey
    Joey
    Louie

All I need now is a DH!

wait, what is this? It looks really familiar, like I should know who these guys are, but I can't place it. Is this the yankee lineup
    looks like the 50's, but I don't know which one.
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    I PUT A HALF AN INCH OF WATER IN A PAN AND ADD TWO CHICKEN BOILLION CUBES, CHOP CABBAGE AND DROP IT IN AND PUT A LID ON IT. COOK FOR ABOUT 15MINS OR, UNTIL CRISP TENDER, ON HIGH TURNING IT OCCATIONALLY. THIS WORKS WITH BROCCOLI, BRUSEL SPROUTS, AND CAULIFLOWER TOO. IF YOU WANT A LITTLE SPICE ADD SOME CRUSHED RED PEPPER.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Holiday ham bone-in left overs + crock pot for 3 hours full water w/salt, pepper, garlic...throw in cabbage for a good hour plus. Yum
  • mabella17
    mabella17 Posts: 93
    I absolutely love love love cabbage - like you get at a restraunt! I guess it is steamed or boiled, but I have no idea how to cook it.

Does anyone have a good recipe for cooking cabbage?? PLEASE SHARE :)
    I buy a head of cabbage, shred it in food processor then add low fat chicken broth, spices, and a little bit of bacon bits.
  • I'm surprised I haven't seen my favorite preparation... maybe it's a german thing?? This isn't my recipe, I googled it, but it looks pretty close to the way I was taught to make it.

Braised Cabbage with Apples and Onions

Serves 4.

1/2 medium head cabbage
    1 medium onion, peeled and sliced veritcally into crescents
    1 T olive oil
    1 Granny Smith apple
    2 T butter
    3 T white vinegar
    2 T grape or currant jelly
    salt, hot sauce to taste

Remove outer leaves and core from the cabbage and cut vertically in thin slices. Cut those slices crosswise two or three times to produce shreds in the neighborhood of 1/4" x 2-1/2." Place the olive oil in a casserole or heavy pot with a lid and toss the cabbage to coat with oil. Mix in the onion. Add the vinegar and top with the butter. Bake, tightly covered, about an hour in a 325º oven. Stir the contents of the pot once about halfway through the cooking. The cabbage should be thoroughly cooked when done, with no hint of crunchiness.

Peel, core and grate the apple through the large holes on a box grater. When the cabbage is finished cooking, stir in the shredded apple and jelly and correct seasoning. Allow to rest, covered tightly, about 10 minutes and then give the mixture one big stir before serving.
  • Cabbage makes a great base for minestrone soup. I shread mine up in the food processor and cook in the crock pot with kidney beans, etc. I got a recipe from sparkpeople.com.
  • all4tjs
    all4tjs Posts: 51
    Try this recipe. It is one like I grew up with and just may be what you are looking for... :happy:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/German-Red-Cabbage/Detail.aspx
  • LaceyLu1
    LaceyLu1 Posts: 1
    Love cabbage!

Cut into strips.
    Wrap in tin foil with salt and pepper and olive oil.
    and throw it on the grill!

LOVE IT!!
  • nampagirl1
    nampagirl1 Posts: 2 Member
    I love Cabbage I make a lot of Cabbage soup. Many different kinds. Then I put it in 1 cup containers and freeze it for eating later. I also mix it in my salads.
This discussion has been closed.