Treadmill Incline - Figuring %s

2»

Replies

• nje444
    nje444 Posts: 62
    Just ordered in on Amazon! Thanks for the tip!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Incline is much harder than running flats... I tend to burn twice as much on a hill than on a flat... I have a gps/calorie tracker though which gives me the precise numbers.

I have reached the same conclusion based on my HRM which I wear during both incline runs and flat surface runs.

Aside from the calorie issue, I think different inclines are important during training as most race courses are not entirely flat.

Using only treadmills cannot properly train you because treadmills can only replicate running on flat or upward surfaces. Running downhill is also very important as it puts strain on different muscle groups.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Incline is much harder than running flats... I tend to burn twice as much on a hill than on a flat... I have a gps/calorie tracker though which gives me the precise numbers.

I have reached the same conclusion based on my HRM which I wear during both incline runs and flat surface runs.

Aside from the calorie issue, I think different inclines are important during training as most race courses are not entirely flat.

Using only treadmills cannot properly train you because treadmills can only replicate running on flat or upward surfaces. Running downhill is also very important as it puts strain on different muscle groups.

I totally agree... plus it doesn't replicate wind and rain which makes it even more difficult to run in during comps. My miles are my usually faster on a treadmill.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member

Some treadmills do have decline settings as well, although most don't, I agree.

Treadmill, road, track, and trail are all different, but (for general exercise -- as opposed to race training) I look at it as any one of 'em will be better than none, and you can make up some of the shortfalls with appropriate non-run training.

Some of the effort re: flat vs. incline vs. decline has to do with pace as well. If I'm trying to maintain a particular heart rate zone when running outside, I just slow down a bit when I'm climbing a hill.

Maybe one of these days I'll hit the lottery and buy a top of the line race training treadmill to spare my candy-a__ some of the New England weather. ;-)
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Usi

Treadmill, road, track, and trail are all different, but (for general exercise -- as opposed to race training)

What what??? Foreign language used here. Who the hell runs unless it is to train for a race??? J/k :-)