Alternative to the C25K

ldarter
ldarter Posts: 131 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I have seen that the couch to 5K is a really popular fitness program here at mfp. Actually, I think it is a great program for those with no past running history. Personally, I have lots of past running history but just stopped running about 2 years ago and let myself go to seed. About a year ago, I did try the C25K program myself to get back into condition to run a 5K with my daughter but I just found the program too tedious for some reason. I did get in shape and ran the 5K using pretty much a program I developed myself, but later found a great beginning running program on Runner's World's website. Thought I'd share the link for the benefit of others like me who have run in the past but had stopped. I think you will find the RW program less tedious than C25K and that it will save you at least a week on getting fit enough to run 30 minutes non-stop.

The RW program, like the C25K is a progressive run/walk program but it requires 6, 30 minute workouts per week rather than 3. So the program lasts only eight weeks instead of the nine for C25K. I also find the RW program easier to tweak for those like me who really don't have the patience to string out the process for over 8 whole weeks and want to get to the end a little faster. I'm anticipating I will be able to run a half hour at a time non-stop within 4 to 5 weeks which I think is fine for someone with a past running history. So I am not at all slamming C25K which is a great program but if you are looking for an alternative, consider this program.

Runner's World 8-Week Beginning Runner's Program
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-380-381-386-9397-0,00.html#

Replies

• Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    thats awesome! i am going to read it later!

thanks for sharing!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Good to know I'm not the only one! I used a combo of runners world and nike+. I would recommend everyone on here that is thinking of starting to run or getting back into it check out runnersworld.com, there is so much useful information right at your fingertips! Also, active.com has great training programs for all sports.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    I'm using the 5K101 from runners-mate - it still limits you to three times a week (about) because it's spacing the jogging with one "recovery" day in between each outing. You can still walk or bike on your day off - just not jog or run. The idea is that your body needs to build up to the level of impact. Our bodies will break down bone that's not being used - so the pounding the legs/feet get with a little jogging starts off a flurry of bone building projects. Giving the body time to adapt reduces the chances of shin splints and other bone related injuries.

I'm sure all of our bodies are different and if you've been doing other high impact exercise I'm sure your body is ready for a six day week of running. But for those of us who have been off the band wagon and soaking in a hot tub for the last few years- giving the body a recovery opportunity is probably a smart thing!

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.