snack ideas - ANSWERS THAT MAKE SENSE IN THE UK PLEASE!!!

Options

Replies

• MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I tend to go for Nairn's oatcakes with one of the low-fat mini-pots of Tesco's Frijolemole that come in stacks of 3.

If I have a time of the month chocolate craving then one of the Philadelphia chocolate mini-pots on an oatcake is good.

I'm another thumbs up for Popcorn too - the Tyrell's ones are lovely. I had a really decent bag of 'salty and sweet' from Marks & Spencer last week that I believe was around 130 cals for a really decent portion.
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Chobani greek yogurt tubs, they might be available in the UK? If not, any greek yogurt in a little tub. High in protein, low cal and filling.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I tend to go for Nairn's oatcakes with one of the low-fat mini-pots of Tesco's Frijolemole that come in stacks of 3.

If I have a time of the month chocolate craving then one of the Philadelphia chocolate mini-pots on an oatcake is good.

I'm another thumbs up for Popcorn too - the Tyrell's ones are lovely. I had a really decent bag of 'salty and sweet' from Marks & Spencer last week that I believe was around 130 cals for a really decent portion.

You beat me to it! Ryvita or Nairn's oatcakes topped with something protein-based always fills me up. Chocolate Philly and Longley Farm cottage cheese are my favourites.

I also buy those bags of ready-chopped carrot batons from the supermarket - handy for munching through. Or an entire cucumber chopped up and covered in dried oregano - put in a Tupperware box and much away (the oregano gives it a Greek salad flavour). If you have spare calories also add some olive oil, tomatoes and/or a small amount of crumbled feta.

I have to admit to also having cheese strings in the fridge - easy portion sizes and take a bit longer to eat as I can't resist playing with them. They are good after exercise.

My other favourite snack is chocolate banana icecream - freeze a chopped banana, whack in a food processor with a splash of milk and a few spoons of cocoa powder. Blitz. Amazing soft icecream!
  • Ryanmariem
    Ryanmariem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I try to have a snack that has protein as it helps maintain cravings.

Nuts are good, Almonds are my favorite.,
    Dried fruit w/mixed nuts like walnuts and peanuts etc....,
    Apples w/peanut butter & celery w/peanut butter,
    Stringcheese w/apples or pears or a multigrain cracker,
    Greek Yogurt w/granola & berries,
    Hard Boiled Egg,
    Egg Salad w/whole grain crackers/bread,
    Hummus and veggies (carrots, celery, bell peppers, what ever fresh veggie you like)

Those are just some ideas and some of my favs. hope it helps. =)
  • fitmom_pam1976
    fitmom_pam1976 Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Banana Oatmeal "Cookies":

1 Banana
    1 c. Oatmeal (raw)
    Raisins

Mash the banana with a fork then add the oats and raisins (i also added some cinnamon) and mix with hands. Make 6 small cookies and place on baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 min at 180° or until golden brown on the edges. Cool and enjoy!

I usually have 3 cookies for a snack..... 153 cals.....yummy and filling....and Clean!! :)

33djg49.jpg
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Child sized fromage frais - about 50 calories each (you can get a layered "greek yoghurt" one)

Matteson's Roast Chicken Fridge Raiders - 115 calories for the big bags, 70 calories for the small bags

Hartley's 10 calorie jellies - 10 calories per pot

Fruit Factory fruit stars - 61 calories a bag (there are other similar fruit-based snacks too)

Ryvita bakes - 20 calories per bake

Pickled gherkins, onions, etc. - negligible calories
  • Janet1608
    Janet1608 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Re micro popcorn being expensive-check the Home Bargain stores,Discount World or B&M.They're only about 25pence per pack.They also sell low cal snacks & biscuits for less than the big supermarkets.Poundland do lots of the WeightWatcher range at <£1.Nice if your saving £s while losing lbs.LOL
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You need carbs when you work out right?

I made flapjacks that were about 220 kcal per 45 gram portion.... They're yummy, I used real butter as well as some almonds and cranberries, so you could make them lower in fats and calories by using margarine and removing the almonds and/or cranberries.

It was really easy to make too...

Basic Recipe:
    100 g butter (or margarine)
    3 tblp honey
    160 g porridge oats
    A pinch of salt

Extras:
    50 g dried cranberries
    30 g chopped almonds

Melt butter and honey in a pot with salt while stirring.
    Mix in porridge oats, make sure to coat everything with the butter and honey.
    Extra: Mix in almonds and cramberries. Mix well.
    Put the mixture in a greased oven form for around 20 minutes at 180°C.
    Cut into 8 squares while hot and then wait until its completely cooled.
    Remove from mold, you might need to cut the bottom of the squares again.
    Eat or store for later.
  • goooozer
    goooozer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I snack on unsalted pistachios, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds etc.
    If you can get some tasty pitted dates, a couple of those are great as they have a gooey consistency almost like a chocolate (almost!!)
    I am obsessed with blueberries which are high in antioxidants, you could throw them in with some natural yoghurt.
    Porridge made with water is also a good 150 calorie meal that fills me up... I add blueberries and/or half a banana/any other fruit and a splash of skimmed milk on top. Yum.
    Light Philadelphia or Skinny Crowdie (Scottish!) is also great on a krisproll/ryvita/oatcake with cherry tomatoes.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Many of my favourites have already been mentioned, but fruit plays a big part in my snacking habits - fresh or dried. A portion is almost always under 100 cals and usually has some fibre content. Dried mango is particularly good, as the chewing required seems to ake me feel full for longer!

Other than that, carrots from the fridge, oatcakes, cheese, peanut butter, greek yoghurt, nuts, dark chocolate, pickles, slices of prosciutto or seafood sticks are some of my usually-on-hand go-to's.
  • lunnay
    lunnay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Full fat sweetened Greek yoghurt. I accept no substitutes. A single serving is 180 kcals. Get the un-sweetened version if you're not a sugar junkie like me for less sugar and kcals.

Mashed fruit baby food. I don't know what these are called, but they're basically small containers with mashed up fruit (usually apple and pears) made for babies. Those things are delicious. Depending on what you get, it should be under 100 kcal each.

If you are at home, scrambled eggs are super easy. 140 kcals for two large eggs, a little more if you add oil, but still under 200.

Strawberries! Easy to wash and eat and very low in calories. Add to unsweetened greek yoghurt for more deliciousness.

I eat honey-flavored Nestum all the time, it's a honey-flavored kind of oatmeal. It's sweet and delicious. If you have Nestum, I suggest that. If you don't, I suggest oatmeal.

These bean patties:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/904257-black-bean-burgers
    Are less than 100 kcal a piece. Find a good low-cal bread / tortilla / wrap you enjoy, add some lettuce, tomato, and a tiny bit of ketchup, and you could have a hamburger (sort of) when you like. Very filling, delicious, and (probably) under 200.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Oh! I forgot little thai fishcakes. I have a recipe that I make up into bite-size fishcakes and keep in the fridge. I don't have exact measurements (as I tend to make it up as I go along), but basically you're looking at:

Approx 300g white, boned/skinned fish (pollock is a good, cheap and sustainable one)
    1 raw egg
    a good handful of fresh coriander chopped up
    1/2 red chilli chopped
    approx 1 dessert spoon of thai fish sauce
    approx 1 dessert spoon of red or green thai curry paste (paste..NOT sauce!)

Whizz all the above in a food processer and then stir in a handful of very finely chopped green beans (cut into very thin discs). Get dessert spoon sized dollops and shape them lightly with damp hands (so they don't stick to you) until you have a good plateful - I get around 20 out of the amounts above. Then shallow fry them in veg oil until brown on either side; which takes around 5 minutes, pat them down with a kitchen towel.

I have 1-2 of those as a snack either on its own, or dipped into a tiny bit of mayo or sweet chilli. They're a good source of protein and low calorie for the amounts (I can work calories on a per fishcake basis if anyone wants)
  • danim90
    Options
    Carrot batons, m&s chocolate and pecan popcorn, tayto velvet crunch healthy crisps, weightwatchers caramal wafers or any of their cakes (bakewell slice & angel cake especially good) Rich tea biscuits at 38 calories each are ok, low fat greek yoghurt with honey (delicious) and lots and lots of fruit.

Someone I know spreads organic peanut butter on ryvita, not sure of calorie or fat content but can see how it's good for energy and protein + fibre.
  • markscho
    markscho Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bounce Natural Energy Balls - Get them in Waitrose...about 200kcal and a good protein hit in teh almond and peanut ones. Great after a workout.
  • surfinglily
    surfinglily Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What does.... You are on about mean?

Is this only a UK thing?? 'I don't know what you are on about'' translates as ''I've no idea what you are talking about''

that made me smile
    :happy:
  • surfinglily
    surfinglily Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Kinder maxi bars - best 135 kcals ever spent!!

:happy:
  • Sioned26
    Sioned26 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I try to 'eat clean' and cut the junk so will make some guacamole and have this oatcakes. Also have cashew or almond butter from Holland and Barratt on oatcakes.

On the go I will have an alpro soy chocolate milk and a nakd bar or sorreen malt loaf. Sorreen rocks for training. I also keep a stash of brazil nuts in my desk drawer
  • hyphenbobbit
    hyphenbobbit Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    100g low fat natural yoghurt (Aldi's is low cost, low cal n nice n thick). Sprinkle in 10g of sunflower seeds or some flaxseed (variety of diff flaxseeds available at Holland & Barrett). Of course, you can put in whatever you like but I like the crunch from the seeds! Good luck:smile:
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Munchy seeds - from Lakeland or Waitrose/Ocado - love them!!

Walkers French Fries are only about 80 cal per bag, as are Quavers, Ryvita minis are 90 cal per bag - lovely sour cream and chive mmmmmm (and you can spread them with Marmite).

I've got a tub of yeast extract flakes to add to air-popped corn (an air-popper is not very expensive, and you can buy the kernals cheaply in Holland & Barrett)

Lindt dark chocolate with seas salt - one square is about 48 cals (but they are big flat squares so its like 3 normal)

Go ahead 3-biscuit packs 150 cals

Dorset cereals bars - YUMMY Love the dark chocolate and macadamia or seriously fruity.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Some of my faves:

Snack a jacks
    Grapes
    Apples
    Carrots or celery with humous
    Crabsticks
    Popcorn with salt (I have an air popper)
    Hard boiled eggs
    Wasabi peas
    Strawberries with yogurt (I like vanilla muller light over the top)
    Chocolate covered edamame beans (you can buy these in Sainsburys by a company called itsu - they are lovely)
    Prawns with a bit of sweet chilli dip
    Zucchini tots (or courgette tots for us Brits)