breasts hurt after workout

Options
I have a problem with my nipples hurting after harder workouts. Its usually when I sweat a lot and my nipples stay hard and they hurt like hell till I'm able to get in the shower. I'm guessing its just that they get cold and wet and start to chap. I have tried padded sports bras and regular sports bras. The padding helps a little but not a lot. I'm wondering if there is a certain padded bra that is tight against my chest so that air doesn't get in to make them a cold.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    This would be easier to diagnose if you could show me the problem areas.

Try putting vasoline on your nipples before you work out.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Have your tried waterproof band-aids? I usually will stick these guys on when running long distances to prevent nipple chaffing. It worked wonders for me ... granted, I'm not a lady.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    ^^^ lol

It is likely chafing. What type of bra do you use? You can try a different type or go with gasoline or Bodyglide to prevent the chafing.

ETA - damn spell check. Thats vasoline not gasoline.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you don't have a good sports bra. Your boobs shouldn't be moving around that much in your bra to get chafed.

I just bought this UnderArmour bra and did a Tough Mudder in it. It gets the 1CG stamp of approval for sure:

http://www.barenecessities.com/product.aspx?pfid=UnderArmour1233077&source=gbase&cm_mmc=GLPA-_-Bra-_-UnderArmour1233077-_-NA&term=UnderArmour1233077&mr:trackingCode=DE5A6C56-8EF7-E111-A87C-001B21A69EB8&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&gclid=CP3j0o3grrUCFQLhQgodDiEAaQ&cmp=BPP20
  • swarovski75
    swarovski75 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Depending on the size of the nipple, the bandaids and tape might not stay stuck. (They don't work for me, at all).

If you are wearing a cotton sports bras, don't. Cotton gets soggy and is more likely to shift back and forth than a bra that wicks or pulls the moisture away from your skin.

And if all else fails, DavPul is right. Lube up those nips. :) Petroleum jelly works like a charm. You can pay more for a special lubricant from a sports store, but in my experience it doesn't work any better.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Depending on the size of the nipple, the bandaids and tape might not stay stuck. (They don't work for me, at all).

If you are wearing a cotton sports bras, don't. Cotton gets soggy and is more likely to shift back and forth than a bra that wicks or pulls the moisture away from your skin.

And if all else fails, DavPul is right. Lube up those nips. :) Petroleum jelly works like a charm. You can pay more for a special lubricant from a sports store, but in my experience it doesn't work any better.

:love: :flowerforyou:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you don't have a good sports bra. Your boobs shouldn't be moving around that much in your bra to get chafed.

I just bought this UnderArmour bra and did a Tough Mudder in it. It gets the 1CG stamp of approval for sure:

I can vouch for this. I did the Tough Mudder with her and when we finished, I could find any chafing on her breasts, no matter how closely I "inspected" them.

Edited to add: @Swar, I'm definitely pro lube. @3DR, I'm all for trying new things, but gasoline seems a bridge too far. But all in all, I like where this is headed
  • UFCGirl1988
    UFCGirl1988 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. The vasoline sounds like a good idea. I'll have to try that. I've never tried an underarmour bra but I bet they would work well, cause I have other clothing from underarmour that I like a lot. Sry DavPul you'll just have to use your imagination...I'm sure you have a big one... your imagination that is..:tongue:
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    You could try Lansinoh (lanolin) instead of vasoline too, it's usually with the baby/breastfeeding section of store. That's the best thing for sore/chaifed/cracked nipples from breastfeeding. Agree on a better fitting sports bra too.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest going to a good running store and talking to them about sports bras. They tend to be really knowledgeable and will help you find the right bra for your bust size. I especially suggest this if you have ample breasts. I'm a 32DDD and I got some really good advice and tried on bras at the store to find one that worked for me - and yes, I jumped around in the changing room to see how much they moved with each bra I tried on :wink:
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Tell your partner to be more gentle? Oh - not that kind of workout.

I have crazy sensitive nipples, so I know where you're coming from. My man-boobs never got big enough to need a bra thankfully, so I'll let the ladies lead you in that department. I also recommend the bodyglide. Be careful purchasing this. There are two brands that use this name, and one is an adult pleasure enhancing liquid. The sport version comes in something like a deodorant stick. Vaseline actually seems to make things worse for me.

I've had to resort to band-aids as well, but I have really tiny nips, so that may not be applicable. If nothing else, you could try duct tape. At least they wouldn't be rubbing up against anything. But then you'd have to take the duct tape off. Back to the drawing board on that one.

Good luck!
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    its called joggers nipple

they sell little nipple protectors at running stores I think they are called nip guards.

I use a little bit of body glide on mine before long runs. I no longer have issues.
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love the under-armour bra as well. Im running in -12 right now so you can imagine the first few minutes before I warm up! If not the vaseline should so the trick!
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Ditch the Vaseline and use Bag Balm. It's been used to heal chapped cow nipples since 1886. Don't use it though if you have an allergy to lanolin though.