Having trouble staying under calorie goal

Options
About 3 months ago, I found out from my doctor that I have high cholesterol and high triglycerides. He advised me to go on a low-fat, low-cholesterol diet and to exercise 5x per week. He also prescribed Niaspan (niacin supplement) to help bring down my triglyceride levels.

I've been taking the medication every day, and staying away from cholesterol and high-fat foods. I've cut out butter, rarely eat cheese, switched to 1% milk for my cereal, and cut way back on red meat. I've been exercizing almost every day, alternating days weight training at home or walking 2 miles.

I'm 6'3", 230 pounds, and 41 years old. My ideal weight is somewhere around 200. MFP put me at about a 1700 calorie intake.

I have a couple of problems that I'm struggling to deal with, and would appreciate your suggestions.

First, I usually have no problem staying below about 100mg of cholesterol per day, so I think I'm doing OK there. But by cutting out fats and cholesterols, I'm going over on carbs. So I would like to trend towards more proteins and healthy fats without increasing my cholesterol intake. I already eat lots of nuts - peanuts mostly, and walnuts. Can anyone recommend some good foods that will help me in this regard?

I can't seem to lose any weight. According to my scale, my weight and body fat % are pretty much the same as when I started. I'm due to get my cholesterol checked again in the next couple of weeks. I'm really hoping to see some progress there, because all this exercise and attention to what I'm eating has not seemed to help much otherwise. I am getting stronger, so I'm pleased about that. But I was expecting my weight to drop. I really want to get down to 200 pounds...physical activity is really a drag with this extra weight.

The good news is that I know what my biggest problem is - after about 9pm, I blow my diet out of the water with pretty much non-stop snacking. So even if I've been good all day, I end up going over my calorie limit at night. I just get really strong pangs in the evenings, especially for sweet and salty foods. Oreos, popcorn, cereal, that type of thing. So, I know what I have to do, and that is to not eat anything after dinner. Any advice on how to kill these cravings before they kill me?

Replies

• CathyMW813
    CathyMW813 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've needed to boost my protein intake a good bit lately, so I have been trying to add more seafood, beans. I've also started using protein powder. I usually make jello sugar-free fat-free pudding to get in my milk (since I hate to drink milk) and mix in some protein powder with that and it is good.

For the night-time munchies, could you save one thing for your evening snack (like the pudding). Maybe have a big mug of hot tea with it to fill you up as well.

Good luck.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    are you still here, eric?
  • Ange0NZ
    Ange0NZ Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The good news is that I know what my biggest problem is - after about 9pm, I blow my diet out of the water with pretty much non-stop snacking. So even if I've been good all day, I end up going over my calorie limit at night. I just get really strong pangs in the evenings, especially for sweet and salty foods. Oreos, popcorn, cereal, that type of thing. So, I know what I have to do, and that is to not eat anything after dinner. Any advice on how to kill these cravings before they kill me?

There you go, you know what you need to change. The night time snacks :smile:

Try reducing the amount of non-healthy foods that you keep in the house by replacing them with some healthy options instead, like lots of fruit and high fibre items. Then you won't have to battle with temptation. You might be pleasantly surprised by how quickly your body adjusts to the healthier options and how quickly you begin to get less cravings for the high fat and high sugar items. Keeping your fluids up is also really important because it keeps you feeling full in between meals.

Are you eating high protein and high fibre meals?
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I think the OP has left us