Workout question

Options
I've been going to the gym and getting in a minimum of 3 workout classes per week but trying for 4. This week is going to be really busy and I might not be able to get them in unless I do 2 classes the same day, for example two workouts on Mon. and two on Wed. I hear and see people doing this all the time at the gym, but I guess I'm confused on how working out 2 hrs on one day makes up for doing 1hr on two days. Is it more about how many hrs you exercise per week than how many DAYS you do them? I'm curious what some of you think...

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Depends on the type of workout you're doing as well as what you're hoping to obtain from said workouts.

If all you're doing is looking for caloric expenditure... assuming equivalent intensities... sure, 2 hours per day twice per week is going to yield similar caloric expenditures as 1 hour per day four times per week.

Most, however, are interested in much more than energy expenditure. Things like optimizing muscle maintenance/growth, etc come into play and when these things are factored in, frequency does make a difference.

But again, it all depends on what I said above.
  • Vonne
    Vonne Posts: 33
    Options
    I usually do 2 Body Pump classes (weights) and try to get 2 cycling classes. So each day I would be doing weights 1hr and cycling 50min. I've wondered about this because it would be nice to get my 4 workouts done and out of the way. But I'm looking for weightloss results so thats why I'm wondering.
  • photoman67
    photoman67 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think you should worry more about what you're eating. Your diet accounts for something like 80 to 85 % of your weight loss. I think the extra workouts may be great for you, but just watch that you don't wear yourself out. Resting your muscles can be just as important as your workout.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    With what you mentioned you're doing, it would be fine. I've read a lot and my personal trainer echoed this, that you should do your strength training and then cardio right after because then the strength training basically boosts what you're doing in cardio - so it's making it more effective, versus only doing one, or doing cardio first.

For the past month I've been doing strength training and then hopping on the treadmill or elliptical right after. :) It's working out fine, I'm losing weight & inches. Just remember that when it comes to exercise, just make sure you rest whatever muscle group you work in strength for at least 24 hours...so don't lift weights for the same muscle two days in a row. They have to rest so you don't burn out and so you actually see results. :happy: Hope this helps!
  • Vonne
    Vonne Posts: 33
    Options
    arielle0489, thanks. The class times are for spinning first and then my strength training. But I could just do like you said, do the strength trainging and jump on a machine afterward. I was wondering if there was a benefit to the order of them so you were very helpful. Now I just need to figure out if doing this 2days week is enough to see weightloss or if I should stick to spreading it out over 3 days.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I usually do 2 Body Pump classes (weights) and try to get 2 cycling classes. So each day I would be doing weights 1hr and cycling 50min. I've wondered about this because it would be nice to get my 4 workouts done and out of the way. But I'm looking for weightloss results so thats why I'm wondering.

Body Pump is basically glorified cardio with weights. Keep in mind that high rep, low rest, light weight resistance training is essentially a form of cardio in your "body's mind."

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. But it's not optimal for everyone as it's entirely goal dependent and status dependent.

Not that you were asking about this.

Also, there's no universally accepted order that's appropriate for everyone when it comes to strength training and cardio. Arguments can be made for and against both orders.

But again, body pump isn't true strength training.