Plateaued :(

I started to diet back in August, it wasn't particularly healthy and was probably more starvation than anything, started at 84kgs and am now 75kgs... Lifestyle has completely changed since, as has my mindset. I'm now a regular in the gym 6 days a week, eat a good balanced diet of about 1200 per day. Since mid January I'm stuck at 75kgs... And have a further 10kgs to lose. Can anyone help me to come through this plateau?
I know the usual advice : shake up diet and exercise routine, increase metabolism etc, but what actually works?

Replies

• spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    I was in the same boat as you. I learned that I had to eat back half my workout cals for my body not to be in starvation mode. So you have to Net 1200 if you eat 1200 burn 400 in the gym you have to replace that 400 I know it shoulds silly but I was stuck for a month and after two weeks of this I dropped 2.5 lbs.
  • fit4life1985
    fit4life1985 Posts: 23 Member
    Having a higher calorie meal (cheat meal/day) once a week will keep metabolism high when you are eating such low calories during the week.
  • Jess11Gold
    Jess11Gold Posts: 154 Member
    OMGosh, I am in the SAME boat! I am eating 1200 calories or less. I eat clean with a few occasional slip ups.I have been doing this for a whole month. I am the same weight now as I was 3 weeks ago. I faithfully put in 4 miles 3 times a week AND do Jillian Michaels 30 day shred EVERYDAY. According to what I am doing I should be loosing at least 2 lbs a week! HELP! Can I add you girls? I am very interested to see how other people pull through this!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,910 Member
    Stall, not a plateau since it's been less than 6 weeks. Reassess: have you been 100%? If not, small changes affect it. Persevere and it will continue to come off.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Eating too little stalls weight loss. Netting 1200 calories a day may not be enough, and eating only 1200 AND exercising means you are definitely not eating enough. Start by eating back your exercise calories. You'll be more satisfied, perform better during exercises, and most likely trump this plateau. Good luck!
  • Jess11Gold
    Jess11Gold Posts: 154 Member
    Having a higher calorie meal (cheat meal/day) once a week will keep metabolism high when you are eating such low calories during the week.

This isn't working for me... I also hear to increase my overall calorie intake that my body could be in "starvation mode" (doubt that). Does anyone know someone personally that has has success from raising their calorie intake? I'm too scared to risk a weight gain...
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? If not, you are definitely eating too little.

This isn't working for me... I also hear to increase my overall calorie intake that my body could be in "starvation mode" (doubt that). Does anyone know someone personally that has has success from raising their calorie intake? I'm too scared to risk a weight gain...
  • i used to eat 1100-1200 while doing insanity then some calisthenics afterwards and i don't recommend that to anyone. if you decide to go on 1200, ALWAYS eat your exercise calories back. it will give you a steady weight loss without plateaus. trust me, i've been trough this. i started eating my exercise calories back and i've never plateaued since then
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    I'm struggling right now too. :/ Try eating more calories. You probably aren't getting enough if you are working out a lot. You can also try zig zagging your calories. Works for some.
  • beautifulbeast11
    beautifulbeast11 Posts: 202 Member

After about a week of upping my calories I gained a few pounds BUT the following week of doing the same routine, I lost it plus some. Sometimes the body just has to adjust. It works differently for everyone, but just know that it may take some time!
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Seriously as werid as it sounds uping the cals has helped me I just added you and my Diary is open take a look at it :) Cheers
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Aie, I'm in the same boat, except it's been four months. No advice, just offering empathy - it sucks!
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member

It seems that I keep running into this same situation with everyone I talk to (I'm a fitness instructor and Certified Personal Trainer). It almost always is someone who's calories are 1200 or less (net). I always advise them to up their caloric intake, cut out processed foods and drink more water - and they always start losing again.

Also - I had been eating at 1200 calories and dropped 17 pounds in 2 months. Then I stopped losing. Then I started gaining. So, I started adding resistance training and upped my calories to between 1500 and 1700 per day - with one cheat day per week (by cheating I mean not paying attention to my macros, which are 40% Carb, 40% Protein, 20% Fat). I reached my goal weight about a month ago and have now set a new goal.

So your answer is yes, it has worked for me. I know 3 other people that this is currently working for. Best of luck to you! :D
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Been there done that and yes 1,200 usually does stall weightloss for almost all. I stalled at a net of 1,000.
    To get my metabolism working again I had to eat about 2,000 for a week or two.
    I am now at 1,500 and losing again. And I have the energy to workout more so then I eat more.
    Good luck and friend me if you want encouragement to eat more.
    You did not get fat on 1,500 so it can not hurt to try.
  • it you gain anything while upping your calories, it would be probably water weight
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,321 Member
    you've been here long enough to know the answer you'll get to your question. "you are not eating enough.":flowerforyou:
  • I had the same problem because this thing kept yelling at my for not eating enough calories. Before I worked out all I did was eat.. now I can not seem to eat enough. I am starting to get the hang of the balancing act. I add in more calories at breakfast and dinner. That seems to be helping. Although, I look up what I eat so I know what I need to make sure I do not go over as well. It is that crazy balance between too little or too much good luck.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 633 Member
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? How much water do you drink? Do you track your sodium? Without being able to see your diary, it is sometimes harder to offer specific suggestions. I don't think you are eating enough, 1200 is likely below your BMR, which is not good. At 1200 calories it is very difficult to get all your nutrition needed.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Hey everyone.. i'm in that same situation.. if anyone wants to look at my diary i'm open to suggestions

Thanking you in advance! :happy:
  • Vary your workout...don't know if you're doing this already. don't let your body "get used" to what you're doing. I don't know what kind of workout you're doing...but, don't get on the tread mill every day.