Eat Fat to Lose Fat?

Options
I watched a documentary last weekend called Fat Head. Science writer Tom Noughton goes back in time to take a look at the food guide pyramid and it's heavy reliance on grains, looks at the traditional "lipid theory" that cholesterol causes heart disease (experts are realizing it's more complicated than just cholesterol) and a host of other dietary advice we've been hearing over and over for decades.

What I saw made me think of fat in a new light. It also made me realize that there is no one right diet for every BODY. It's all about one's personal hormones and the way they respond to food.

I wouldn't say I'm turning "Paleo" overnight, but it did motivate me to do some self-experimentation. Last week I limited carbs to under 20 grams a day and did not count calories or protein or fat. I ate the latter as much I wanted but didn't overeat. The results were:

I lost hunger/cravings after Day 2
I slept better by Day 3
My ears stopped itching almost immediately
My skin is less dry
I lost 5 pounds after one week

This may be the key to my yo-yo'ing.

I have always had good cholesterol readings. Yet I restricted fat because of the prevailing "wisdom" about cholesterol and heart disease. With experts beginning to cast doubt on the old lipid theory, I feel freed up from that restriction. Adding more fat to my diet last week made me feel more satiated, so I actually at less calories overall and yet was never hungry.

I'm going to keep on with my experiment. This week I am adding 10 more carbs in the form of veggies. Next week I will add full-fat greek yogurt.

Let's see what happens.